Publications before medical school or in different fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bengalsfan0525

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently am working on a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering and recently got two papers published. I was curious if these publications, being in a completely different field and before attending medical school, would be considered relevant when applying for residency (specifically when listing publications).

Members don't see this ad.

I currently am working on a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering and recently got two papers published. I was curious if these publications, being in a completely different field and before attending medical school, would be considered relevant when applying for residency (specifically when listing publications).

Unfortunately, no. I have a published paper in a field that is unrelated to the field with which I will likely apply. The whole research pub thing is only useful if it is in the field you wish to enter. Even in that case it's minuscule since like everything it's about board scores and LORs over all else. Good luck in medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I see. My graduate research is specifically in atmospheric microplasma jets, which are used in biomedical (treatment, sterilization, etc.) applications, but not directly related to relevant fields for residency. Thanks to you both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again.

One last question. When you are applying for residencies, do the applications explicitly say "experiences while in medical school" or do they say "list all"? Not that it really matters but just curious.

Not exactly a publication, but how about poster presentation at a national conference for a project worked in post-bac but presented in the first semester of med school? How will it count?

Unfortunately, no. I have a published paper in a field that is unrelated to the field with which I will likely apply. The whole research pub thing is only useful if it is in the field you wish to enter. Even in that case it's minuscule since like everything it's about board scores and LORs over all else. Good luck in medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I keep hearing from PDs that while research in the field is best, other research and pubs in other medical fields is still very helpful

Reactions: 5 users
What about work done before entering med school, but it gets published during my first, second, or third year as a med student. Does that count as research while in med school? I have gathered a lot of data during my gap years, but it will take a while longer for the lab to publish it. I MIGHT have to help with writing when I am in med school. My mentor has already agreed to take me back for the summer between first and second year. Really want this to count because it's neuro research.

What about work done before entering med school, but it gets published during my first, second, or third year as a med student. Does that count as research while in med school? I have gathered a lot of data during my gap years, but it will take a while longer for the lab to publish it. I MIGHT have to help with writing when I am in med school. My mentor has already agreed to take me back for the summer between first and second year. Really want this to count because it's neuro research.

I think publication date would be most important... Plus, if you are working on it in between 1st/2nd years then it is med school research!

I think publication date would be most important... Plus, if you are working on it in between 1st/2nd years then it is med school research!

fingers crossed that is the case! I'll be getting at least 2 pubs from the work here, but idk when it will be published. It's basic science research which is harder to get because of the time it takes. I may go back during the summer, but I also might want to do some clinical research if the opportunity is available. Meh, still too early, but never hurts to think about it.

This sounds good to me - especially since it's occurring between 1st and 2nd year of medical school and date related; and it's neuro research.

Reactions: 1 user
So essentially it is best to list them all since it can't hurt?

Reactions: 1 users
Its weird how this question is ask several times through the years, and yet when a new thread like this comes up again the responses make it feel like a never before seen question.

The answer to your question is yes they definitely count and in fact can work in your favor when finding research during medical school (i.e. whether you can write a paper, doing data analysis, or are familiar with lab techniques). However, your research is weighted more if done in medical school. It gains even more weight if it is in the field you want to go into or closely related to it.

So don't be afraid to slap it on your application because, as my advisor said to me, "research never hurts you."

Reactions: 1 user