Publications outside your area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question:
Would a publication outside your area ever count against you when applying for post-doc or faculty jobs? As in make you look unfocused or like your padding your CV?

I'm taking a class where we're all co-authoring a Cochrane review, which is awesome, but it will have nothing to do with psychology since we're a splattering of biostatisticians, post-docs, faculty from a bunch of different departments, etc.. The point is learning meta-analytic techniques, not the actual content of the review, but is there any way it could come across as a bad thing?

Obviously I don't expect one paper to kill me - I actually think its probably a huge plus, but figured I'd see what others thought since I know "having a clear focus and plan for future research" is important when it comes time to apply for faculty jobs. Yet in a more general sense, just how "clear" do you want your research line to be from your CV?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question:
Would a publication outside your area ever count against you when applying for post-doc or faculty jobs? As in make you look unfocused or like your padding your CV?

I'm taking a class where we're all co-authoring a Cochrane review, which is awesome, but it will have nothing to do with psychology since we're a splattering of biostatisticians, post-docs, faculty from a bunch of different departments, etc.. The point is learning meta-analytic techniques, not the actual content of the review, but is there any way it could come across as a bad thing?

Obviously I don't expect one paper to kill me - I actually think its probably a huge plus, but figured I'd see what others thought since I know "having a clear focus and plan for future research" is important when it comes time to apply for faculty jobs. Yet in a more general sense, just how "clear" do you want your research line to be from your CV?

If anything, I think it would help your CV. Science is moving towards more collaborative research teams and learning how to speak different scientific languages is becoming important.