Published Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCRWSP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently working in two research labs and one of my labs will publish soon. They are putting me as a co-author and i was wondering how much influence would this be in medical school admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Marginally beneficent at research-heavy institutions. If you were to apply to MD-PhD programs, it might be thought more important. It's not going to make the difference if you have a poor GPA or poor MCAT, especially if you are working in these labs as your actual job.

I think it actually counts for a lot at some schools...check out the threads below from LizzyM who is a well known adcom on SDN. But agreed that it is not going to make up for a poor GPA / MCAT. In the end, those two numbers have to be up to par or you won't get past the screen.

"Having a publication accepted for publication or published is a +4 at one top tier school. Having been funded for a project is a +3, having done a summer program or a couple of semesters is a +2, and having been a research assistant is a +1. (You get categorized into one of these groups or 0 for "no research").

Impact factor is not taken into account. Position in the list of authors (particularly second rather than first) is not taken into account.

A case report (asked earlier) might not be counted because it is not related to a research endeavor. Basically, a research publication is used as a measure that the research came to its intended end which is to advance the field through the development or contribution of new knowledge. However, a case report does contrbute to new clinical knowledge so maybe some would give you brownie points for a case report. It couldn't hurt. "

"Adcoms for medical school may be interested in whether or not an applicant has had some research experience as they believe that it is a predictor of participation in research in medical school/residency/career (in academic medicine). Basically, we ask, "Have they had a taste & do they like it?"

Any publication puts the applicant in the top 10% of the applicants I see with regard to research experience. We really don't need to distringuish among the applicants within that top 10%; it isn't worth the effort for what we are trying to assess. "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=637830&highlight=lizzym+publication&page=2

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=756368&highlight=lizzym+research

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to boost up my extra curricular. I do have a low GPA (2.7) due to several family issues that i am going to account in my personal statements. My grades have been on an upward trend especially with upper division classes. (graduated last year 2010) I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I want to be fully prepared for it.

btw: Do you guys know any other extra curricular that may help me stand out.
This is what i have right now:

lifeguard for 6 years
Hospital intern for 1.5 years
Research- present
EMT-1 national Certified
Participant for Relay for Life