1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Published!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CoffeeCat, Dec 10, 2001.

1. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    After working in a research lab for FOUR years (though mostly on grad students' projects), I just found out that I'm going to be an author on a publication (don't know which yet)! I'm thrilled and of course the first question that needs to be asked is: is a publication significant in the application process? Opinions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Congrats on a job well done, Ana!!! It's not often that undergrads get published as authors, and you should be proud of your accomplishment. From what i hear, it does help with schools that stress research, but if you want to focus on mostly clinical programs, it helps but not that much. Ofcourse, if you have a low GPA/MCAT, stuff like this certainly counts and can get your foot into the door atleast to get an interview. But that's just my humble opinion.

Good luck.
    Tweetie

4. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey ana -- congrats. As great as it is I still think the whole thing's a crapshoot. I've been published a few times but I haven't gotten ANY interviews yet. Stats wise I'm a 10,10,10/3.9 but then again I'm also applying MD/PhD where publication is at times the norm rather than the exception. But for MD I think you have a lot to show for it. So congrats and good luck. What journal?? As for making up for low stats, I dunno... I think stat screening is the first step. Looking at pubs comes second. One of my friends published big time -- I mean REALLY big time -- but his stats were real low and he never got any interviews. I mean this dude had first author JCB 's and second author Cell, Science, Neuron and PNAS. I mean that's some serious stuff. But he couldn't pass the interview hurdle stats-wise. I think he's gonna get in this time around though.