puerto rico medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laurasanchezr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know there are some threads abotu Puerto Rico but i have some questions about the EDUCATION specifically between St. Georges and the accredited american schools in PR.

I'm applying to St. Georges and am also considering Puerto Rico since I would be considered an american MD and that would be favorable for residency.

I am Cuban fluent in Spanish and English language is not an issue. Im studying for the MCAT so taking it is not an issue either, my concern is where I would get the BEST education versus the best placement during residency.

I hope someone can shed some light into it, i dont know much about the schools in PR, im wondering why more people don't consider going there.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Even though PR graduates aren't technically considered IMG, there's still a heavy bias against graduates from non-US schools. Are you sure you don't want to try applying US MD/DO? What are your stats?

Even though PR graduates aren't technically considered IMG, there's still a heavy bias against graduates from non-US schools. Are you sure you don't want to try applying US MD/DO? What are your stats?

Aren't PR schools still LCME accredited? Why would it be a problem when obtaining a residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes im sure.

i graduated with a 3.0 in bio 3.4 in french (double major)
havent taken mcat yet, scheduled for April

And theres people from all over the world practicing medicine here, i do understand that americans are preferred over foreign medical graduates because they will be practicing in the US but PR nd St George as well as a couple other caribbean schools operate under the same curriculum as US schools. Regardless its all based on your boards and what you put into it.

Im 24 and definintely do not want to do a masters right now to then have to go into medical school. So this is the best option for me, i just want to pick the right school, you know?

Aren't PR schools still LCME accredited? Why would it be a problem when obtaining a residency?

Because people are going to see that you're from a PR med school. It technically shouldn't be a problem, but there is going to be bias, nonetheless. Patriotism, is I guess what you might call it?

Because people are going to see that you're from a PR med school. It technically shouldn't be a problem, but there is going to be bias, nonetheless. Patriotism, is I guess what you might call it?
Im aware of the bias, im more concerned with the better education. Some schools are better than others I was just wondering about the education at the puerto rican medical schools.. I know St. Georges has the prestige and its well known of... but idk about PR. Definitely might have better chances of residency with PR but I also want to make sure i get a good Education while im there.

I'm applying to St. Georges and am also considering Puerto Rico since I would be considered an american MD and that would be favorable for residency.

I am Cuban fluent in Spanish and English language is not an issue. Im studying for the MCAT so taking it is not an issue either, my concern is where I would get the BEST education versus the best placement during residency.

Easy. PR schools > Carib

No contest. Better education (LCME accredited) and better residency opps (no ECFMG cert required).

yes im sure.

i graduated with a 3.0 in bio 3.4 in french (double major)
havent taken mcat yet, scheduled for April

And theres people from all over the world practicing medicine here, i do understand that americans are preferred over foreign medical graduates because they will be practicing in the US but PR nd St George as well as a couple other caribbean schools operate under the same curriculum as US schools. Regardless its all based on your boards and what you put into it.

Im 24 and definintely do not want to do a masters right now to then have to go into medical school. So this is the best option for me, i just want to pick the right school, you know?
The Puerto Rican schools are LCME accredited. The Carribean are not.

I see. Interesting that PR schools pass the standards of the LCME and yet are biased by US residency programs. I am still scratching my head on this one.

I see. Interesting that PR schools pass the standards of the LCME and yet are biased by US residency programs. I am still scratching my head on this one.

It's really not that hard to imagine, is it? Think of the attitude some Americans have towards Puerto Rico in general. They don't consider it part of the USA even though it technically is.

In any case, we're getting away from the point. PR >>> Carib

Patriotism?? What does that mean? Could you cite some evidence for this bias or is this anecdotal (at least)? Or is this just what you have read from SDN?

It's really not that hard to imagine, is it? Think of the attitude some Americans have towards Puerto Rico in general. They don't consider it part of the USA even though it technically is.

I see your point there and it is kind of sad that there is this bias.

This is completely false. I don't Know where you are from, but you ridiculously misinformed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why more people dont consider going to PR then... until today I hadnt thought of it as an option until I heard of someone with a 3.8 gpa and 31 MCAT wasnt admitted here and is in PR.
All anyone hears about as an alternative is Caribbean...

To be honest the fact that I have to do clinicals there as opposed to here is kind of a turn off.. plus Idk how i feel about them switching between english and spanish all the time. I speak both languages but its still annoying.

Thinkinggggggggggggggggggggg

I wonder why more people dont consider going to PR then... until today I hadnt thought of it as an option until I heard of someone with a 3.8 gpa and 31 MCAT wasnt admitted here and is in PR.

To be honest the fact that I have to do clinicals there as opposed to here is kind of a turn off.. plus Idk how i feel about them switching between english and spanish all the time. I speak both languages but its still annoying.

I hear classes are en espanol. That discourages a lot of people from going to PR.

The reason more people don't go there is because of the language requirements and the UPR asks for you to show strong ties there; not that many people have that option. It's all about the accreditation and for someone to mix the true Caribbean schools with the schools in the PR is quite sad.

The reason more people don't go there is because of the language requirements and the UPR asks for you to show strong ties there; not that many people have that option. It's all about the accreditation and for someone to mix the true Caribbean schools with the schools in the PR is quite sad.
What do you mean by strong ties?
Not all caribbean schools are created equal though, St. George is getting alot of recognition and I heard from someone in the faculty that they're talking about considering it at the same level as American Schools.

I hear classes are en espanol. That discourages a lot of people from going to PR.
I read a little today, apparently the classes are in english...although another place said sometimes they speak spanish. If they teach in English the real problem might come during rotations..although it would be an amazing opportunity for people to practice medicine and spanish (they require you to take 12 credits of spanish if youre not a resident of PR).

I know someone who got a Dermatology residency right away from there... i think thats AWESOME cause its such a difficult residency to get and apparently the bilingual factor really helped.

Not all caribbean schools are created equal though, St. George is getting alot of recognition and I heard from someone in the faculty that they're talking about considering it at the same level as American Schools.

I'm not going to get into a Caribbean debate; that goes on all the time here. It's not the same as the schools in PR- like I said it's all about the accreditation.

There are several criteria that you can look up online for the ties. It's something like:
Where did you go to high school?
Where do your parents live?
Where were you born?

I can't exactly remember but I'm sure they are on their website.

I read a little today, apparently the classes are in english...although another place said sometimes they speak spanish. If they teach in English the real problem might come during rotations..although it would be an amazing opportunity for people to practice medicine and spanish (they require you to take 12 credits of spanish if youre not a resident of PR).

I know someone who got a Dermatology residency right away from there... i think thats AWESOME cause its such a difficult residency to get and apparently the bilingual factor really helped.

I called them and it's actually a mixture of both, but predominately everything is in Spanish. I think a lot of the exams are in English to get you ready for USMLE, but ultimately it is up to the professor whether they will teach in English or Spanish.

I think he/she means by strong ties as in your parents or close family members came from Puerto Rico.

Even though St. George is getting recognition, if they are not LCME accredited, they won't be considered as having the same standards as all the American schools that are LCME accredited. It is not about how good the school is exactly but what is its accrediting body.

I'm not going to get into a Caribbean debate; that goes on all the time here. It's not the same as the schools in PR- like I said it's all about the accreditation.

There are several criteria that you can look up online for the ties. It's something like:
Where were you born?

Oh I got confused about the strong ties because i know some schools do accept non residents that might just be UPR, in that case I have 0 ties there lol. I get what you mean...

Thanks

Where were you born?

This is the same with my state school also, if you want be considered an in state applicant.

All I was trying to say is your espanol needs to be mad fuerte, so it's a no go for gringos like me.

UPR:
Our curriculum is conducted in English and Spanish, and patient interactions are nearly always conducted in Spanish, therefore, demonstrated fluency in speaking, reading and writing both languages is required. Applicants must select language courses which develop writing and reading comprehension skills.

I'd have to disagree with you here. Puerto Rico is definitely part of the United States and although some people not be entirely clear on the relationship of PR and the US, I am sure that there isn't a bias like you seem to be mentioning. But this is just personal, I have no evidence to back this up. I think US MD/DO = PR MD (since PR is the US!)

I think he/she means by strong ties as in your parents or close family members came from Puerto Rico.

Even though St. George is getting recognition, if they are not LCME accredited, they won't be considered as having the same standards as all the American schools that are LCME accredited. It is not about how good the school is exactly but what is its accrediting body.
Well it seems the general consensus is PR, i guess ill have to do some more research in terms of this accreditation because my parents really want me to go to St George since according to them the education in PR is crappy or has no prestige. I apologize for my ignorance but until today I had never even thought of the education in PR, im wondering if theyre referring to the general education for those schools that have no ties with the US... not sure how that works.. since these are american schools.. i dont know how the teachers are chosen etc.

The ones that are accredited are run? by the US

Im asking so I can put this in better perspective for them and myself...im seeing that this might very well be a better choice but nonetheless i cant help but feel hesitant.

I'd have to disagree with you here. Puerto Rico is definitely part of the United States and although some people not be entirely clear on the relationship of PR and the US, I am sure that there isn't a bias like you seem to be mentioning. But this is just personal, I have no evidence to back this up. I think US MD/DO = PR MD (since PR is the US!)

Okay, so maybe heavy is an exaggeration here. I'm only going off of what a couple PR friends have told me in the past. I guess that's not the experience of most PR grads, then.

People have been saying for awhile now that the residency spots for IMG are getting slimmer and slimmer. Having that accreditation will allow you to be able to go after more residencies IMO- if someone with more experience could offer a better response, it would be greatly appreciated.

Well it seems the general consensus is PR, i guess ill have to do some more research in terms of this accreditation because my parents really want me to go to St George since according to them the education in PR is crappy or has no prestige. I apologize for my ignorance but until today I had never even thought of the education in PR, im wondering if theyre referring to the general education for those schools that have no ties with the US... not sure how that works.. since these are american schools.. i dont know how the teachers are chosen etc.

Im asking so I can put this in better perspective for them and myself...im seeing that this might very well be a better choice but nonetheless i cant help but feel hesitant.
Puerto Rican medical schools are accredited by the same body that accredits all US schools that grant the MD degree. This cannot be said for any of the caribbean schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I know there are some threads abotu Puerto Rico but i have some questions about the EDUCATION specifically between St. Georges and the accredited american schools in PR.

I hope someone can shed some light into it, i dont know much about the schools in PR, im wondering why more people don't consider going there.

Thanks!!

Between those two, go with the PR school. They are LCME accredited, part of AMCAs and for all intents and purposes, considered US MD schools. Now whether the bias exists as Dr. Strange says, I don't know and I'm not sure many people can except PR grads (or a match list from the school).

Do realize PR schools much prefer people within PR and have a 10 credit requirement for Spanish (regardless if you can speak it fluently). I'm not familiar with how well PR students match, but I'm sure it is at least average.

I also speak spanish, but my preferred language is english. During Year 3 and 4, everyone will ONLY speak spanish. The Pre-Clinical years has both English material and tests, but the teachers speak spanish.

As for St. George, NEVER go Carrib!

Okay, so maybe heavy is an exaggeration here. I'm only going off of what a couple PR friends have told me in the past. I guess that's not the experience of most PR grads, then.

That makes perfect sense :).

Did two people over the internet initially express opposing views and come to friendly conclusion without flaming, caps yelling, or gifs?? :highfive:

ok. does anyone know the match rate for any of the puerto rican schools and the pass rate for the USMLE that would be the best way to determine which school is better.

I tried looking and cant find it. If you find it please post the link where you found it.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEE
thanks

ok. does anyone know the match rate for any of the puerto rican schools and the pass rate for the USMLE that would be the best way to determine which school is better.

I tried looking and cant find it. If you find it please post the link where you found it.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEE
thanks

You have to be careful interpreting match lists, especially with a place like PR. From past match lists it looks like quite a few people don't go to big name residencies, however, if you look a little closer from a different angle, it looks like strong bias to stay in much warmer parts of the country as well as places with larger spanish speaking populations.

Moral of the story, use caution, people factor in soo many more things than competitiveness of the residency program when ranking residencies. Things like having family nearby, climate, fit with the program, cities where you can see yourself living for the next 3+ years all make people rank differently. That said, I know several PR grads who've done very well for themselves matching at competitive programs. They seemed like very bright and hard working folks.

Match lists tell you where people wound up doing residency, not where they wanted to go. If people wind up mostly going to one of their top choices, even if those places don't look awesome to the rest of us, that's still great match list because they got what they wanted.

As for the board scores, most people on here will tell you that more student dependent than school dependent.

PR schools have a pretty strong preference for PR applicants. What makes you thing that they'll admit you? You need to show that you're linked to the island somehow. Of course, there are exception, bit I wouldn't count getting into PR schools that easily IMO.

PR schools have a pretty strong preference for PR applicants. What makes you thing that they'll admit you? You need to show that you're linked to the island somehow. Of course, there are exception, bit I wouldn't count getting into PR schools that easily IMO.

I agree, but if you look at their stats I think they would make an exception for someone with mediocre stats. If everything else checks out (i.e. you speak Spanish fluently and have all of the required courses) and you show up with a 28 MCAT, I highly doubt they will turn you down; just my opinion though.

I agree, but if you look at their stats I think they would make an exception for someone with mediocre stats. If everything else checks out (i.e. you speak Spanish fluently and have all of the required courses) and you show up with a 28 MCAT, I highly doubt they will turn you down; just my opinion though.

I doubt that. Much of the reason that they have lower stats is because the MCAT is in English, and most of their students are educated and speak Spanish as a mother tongue, plus they predominantly go for students with ties to PR (which as a whole lags behind the mainland in many socio-economic indicators). They're not institutions devoted to research & aren't driven by prestige, their main goal is to educate physicians who will go out and serve that particular community.

Think of them as analogous to the HBCUs, just because their median stats are low doesn't mean someone with above-average numbers will be a shoo-in, you have to fit their particular mission regardless of grades. Most of the Puerto Rican schools get over 1000 out of state applicants and rarely grant more than 5-10% of those OOS applicants interviews, much less acceptances. People with 30+ MCATs do apply, they just don't fit the model.

I doubt that. Much of the reason that they have lower stats is because the MCAT is in English, and most of their students are educated and speak Spanish as a mother tongue, plus they predominantly go for students with ties to PR (which as a whole lags behind the mainland in many socio-economic indicators). They're not institutions devoted to research & aren't driven by prestige, their main goal is to educate physicians who will go out and serve that particular community.

Think of them as analogous to the HBCUs, just because their median stats are low doesn't mean someone with above-average numbers will be a shoo-in, you have to fit their particular mission regardless of grades. Most of the Puerto Rican schools get over 1000 out of state applicants and rarely grant more than 5-10% of those OOS applicants interviews, much less acceptances. People with 30+ MCATs do apply, they just don't fit the model.

I don't see how the first paragraph is relevant to what I said and how you contradict what I said in your post. You basically elaborated, if anything and reiterated what I said. If you read what I wrote carefully, I never said that if you only have good stats that you should be a shoe in; rather, if everything else is good, and you have higher stats than their averages that the applicant should have a good chance.

This isn't speculation. This is what I have been told after multiple conversations with the adcoms from these schools.

Also, most of the OOS applicants don't get interviewed due to the fact that they have no ties, haven't taken the required courses, and are not fluent in Spanish. People apply ignorantly to these institutions simply because they are US MD and they have low averages. I highly doubt many 30+ MCAT applicants apply that meet all of the requirements for the school get rejected- but this is just me using common sense. I never said anything relevant to the schools mission, but to insinuate that there are schools that do not care about stats is simply erroneous. All schools care about the aptitude and potential of their candidates to be successful at their schools- which can be correlated with certain aspects of their applications having to do with numerical quantification of their abilities.

What makes me think theyll admit people like me not me in particular because thats up to them is that I personally know two arabs who are not fluent in spanish who are going to school in puerto rico, so in comparison, i shouldnt be an issue as far as ties and the language if im part of that small percentage of out of state students they let in. This isnt my concern. Ive posted a few times all i care about is a comparison between st. george and puerto rican medical school in terms of their pass rate on the USMLE and their match rate for residency.

You have to be careful interpreting match lists, especially with a place like PR. From past match lists it looks like quite a few people don't go to big name residencies, however, if you look a little closer from a different angle, it looks like strong bias to stay in much warmer parts of the country as well as places with larger spanish speaking populations.

Moral of the story, use caution, people factor in soo many more things than competitiveness of the residency program when ranking residencies. Things like having family nearby, climate, fit with the program, cities where you can see yourself living for the next 3+ years all make people rank differently. That said, I know several PR grads who've done very well for themselves matching at competitive programs. They seemed like very bright and hard working folks.

Match lists tell you where people wound up doing residency, not where they wanted to go. If people wind up mostly going to one of their top choices, even if those places don't look awesome to the rest of us, that's still great match list because they got what they wanted.

As for the board scores, most people on here will tell you that more student dependent than school dependent.
I really dont care about the strong residency and where exactly they did their residencies.. I want to know out of the graduating class how many got residencies and what percentage of the class passed the USMLE in comparison to St. George. No one seems to know.

I really dont care about the strong residency and where exactly they did their residencies.. I want to know out of the graduating class how many got residencies and what percentage of the class passed the USMLE in comparison to St. George. No one seems to know.

You are completely obsessed with the wrong things. We all have given you the criteria that seems to be the consensus here about what matters. The two shouldn't even be compared, but you insist. Good luck with your endeavors and listening to your parents about which medical school you should go to. This decision is going to affect you in the long term so I suggest you do a bit more reading... Stop asking and do some research. Don't ask people to do the research for you either. You should be more than capable at this time in your life.

You are completely obsessed with the wrong things. We all have given you the criteria that seems to be the consensus here about what matters. The two shouldn't even be compared, but you insist. Good luck with your endeavors and listening to your parents about which medical school you should go to. This decision is going to affect you in the long term so I suggest you do a bit more reading... Stop asking and do some research. Don't ask people to do the research for you either. You should be more than capable at this time in your life.
I'm not obsessed with the wrong things I'm simply restating what I was interested in finding out because I'm comparing the two schools. Some people might get strong residencies while others don't. Side by side i wanted to compare the residency match rate and pass rate for the USMLE since it was already obvious that the advantage of PR is that it is accredited but that is only ONE factor to consider. The purpose of the forum is to ask questions, and my response wasnt addressed to you so if you didnt have useful advice you shouldnt have responded. No need to be rude. I have done research and haven't found much since I just started thinking about this yesterday. I asked in case someone was familiar. It isnt like st george or ross or alot of the other caribbean schools which do post their match rate because its a major factor if youre going to go abroad. I also didnt ask anyone to do research for me, I said if they know to let me know where they got the information from. Its not uncommon for people to post stats in a forum and have them be incorrect.
No need to be condescending either, this is a discussion and as far as choosing a medical school for me personally I like to share things with my parents, and i dont think im alone. If PR schools are better then I'm all for going, but I want to have all my facts down. There is not as much information out there for Puerto Rico as there is for the caribbean schools and you cant deny that the 19-21 mcat requirement isn't questionable.

Since it doesn't seem like anyone is very familiar I'll have to call the school because I can't find anything online. If I find out anything Ill post it.

Thanks for your other useful responses.

San Juan Bautista, while in PR, is a LCME school, makes you an American Graduate and gives you a good leg up in residency matching compared to offshore schools. SGU is well known, but you would still be considered an IMG, and thus have that stigma. There are people who match at both schools...however it would be an easier time securing a match and more doors opened with PR. I can't comment on how the clinical experience is at both places.

I'm not obsessed with the wrong things I'm simply restating what I was interested in finding out because I'm comparing the two schools. Some people might get strong residencies while others don't. Side by side i wanted to compare the residency match rate and pass rate for the USMLE since it was already obvious that the advantage of PR is that it is accredited but that is only ONE factor to consider. The purpose of the forum is to ask questions, and my response wasnt addressed to you so if you didnt have useful advice you shouldnt have responded. No need to be rude. I have done research and haven't found much since I just started thinking about this yesterday. I asked in case someone was familiar. It isnt like st george or ross or alot of the other caribbean schools which do post their match rate because its a major factor if youre going to go abroad. I also didnt ask anyone to do research for me, I said if they know to let me know where they got the information from. Its not uncommon for people to post stats in a forum and have them be incorrect.
No need to be condescending either, this is a discussion and as far as choosing a medical school for me personally I like to share things with my parents, and i dont think im alone. If PR schools are better then I'm all for going, but I want to have all my facts down. There is not as much information out there for Puerto Rico as there is for the caribbean schools and you cant deny that the 19-21 mcat requirement isn't questionable.

Since it doesn't seem like anyone is very familiar I'll have to call the school because I can't find anything online. If I find out anything Ill post it.

The only fact that you really need to know is that PR schools are LCME accredited and thus you don't count as a foreign applicant, which means that you won't be at a disadvantage for the residency match. In the greater scheme of things, prestige is irrelevant since where you go to Residency matters far more than where you went to medical school, and being a US grad gives you a HUGE advantage against foreign grads in terms of finding residency spots. It's rare that American grads don't match...its extremely common that foreign grads don't match.

Furthermore, going to St. George's because they seem to have more prestige is silly. Yes, they are well known but they are well known for being the last resort for people who couldn't get into US schools. I'm not saying their education isn't solid, but considering that the school was built for people who couldn't make the cut in the States it doesn't make sense to pick them over any Puerto Rican school because of reputation. Reputation won't help you overcome the disadvantage of being a foreign grad, and the number of residency spots available for foreign grads is shrinking fast. You'd be better off going to a DO school than any Caribbean school.

My buddy goes to NSU in Puerto Rico for his PharmD. Its the sister school of NSU in Florida for DOs(amongst other things)... he says its all in english and he likes it

My buddy goes to NSU in Puerto Rico for his PharmD. Its the sister school of NSU in Florida for DOs(amongst other things)... he says its all in english and he likes it

That's nice I guess... But no one here is interested in pharm school. And NSU in Florida is a DO school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Averaging the 2 GPAs, you have a 3.2 (assuming same number of credits, not sure what a French and Bio GPA is). Assuming you score a 30 (an arbitrary minimum most pre-meds shoot for) you would have a 65% chance of getting in somewhere in a US MD school.
Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

And your stats will definitely show some love from DO schools.

If I were you, I would fill out AACOMAs and AMCAs and see what happens. Worst thing is you lose some money, but maybe you can walk away with an acceptance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasanchezr
well the person who told me is the teacher for residents at hackensack medical center and 7/17 residents come from st. george. He's a faculty member for st george and thats how he knows about the accreditaion and they want to make it an american school. He spoke to the assistant program director at UMDNJ and she said that now a days what they look at most is the score on the USMLE so its about the same, but she said that people from st. george seem to have more resources. For example since st. george students do their rotations here, in hackensack and in other hospitals, they also make connections and are more likely to get letters of recommendation so shes saying as far as the two go then St. George is a better option. I'm getting this from very credible sources... and also I have alll of student dr network saying PR is better because of the title. I see both sides, im still torn."

You do know Hackensack is a crappy community program, it's not good. SGU will NEVER be an American school, no matter what the guy who is PAID by SGU tells you, I don't want to call him a liar but if he is telling you SGU will become LCME accredited he is a liar. The LCME will not accredit them so get it out of your head about this silly accreditation issue.

As someone who just matched into residency let me tell youthey look at where you go to school. AMG >>>>>>>>>> Caribbean grad. I have solid board scores etc. went out of my way to rotate at a large university program, got great LOR's, had the chief of cardiology at this university make a phone call on my behalf. Guess what the BEST interviews I got were at places AMG's consider back-up safety places, places AMG's cancel their interviews late in the season. Also, I'm not talking about a lot of places I got 8 interviews out of 80 applications. Only 3 out of the 8 place had a significant number of AMG's (MD and DO) in their program. If I was an American grad my application would likely have been competitive at pretty much all places not named Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Columbia etc.

Your not getting the whole story since if you look at UMDNJ pretty much ALL of their residents are American Medical Graduates. Look at the University Programs they are super high percentage of American Medical Graduates. The fact this argument is still going on is absurd. This isn't a debate it would be a very poor, idiotic decision to go to SGU over the LCME Puerto Rican school. Do you see the only person saying SGU is just as good is someone who is employeed and is paid by SGU, not really an objective source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasanchezr
well the person who told me is the teacher for residents at hackensack medical center and 7/17 residents come from st. george. He's a faculty member for st george and thats how he knows about the accreditaion and they want to make it an american school. He spoke to the assistant program director at UMDNJ and she said that now a days what they look at most is the score on the USMLE so its about the same, but she said that people from st. george seem to have more resources. For example since st. george students do their rotations here, in hackensack and in other hospitals, they also make connections and are more likely to get letters of recommendation so shes saying as far as the two go then St. George is a better option. I'm getting this from very credible sources... and also I have alll of student dr network saying PR is better because of the title. I see both sides, im still torn."

You do know Hackensack is a crappy community program, it's not good. SGU will NEVER be an American school, no matter what the guy who is PAID by SGU tells you, I don't want to call him a liar but if he is telling you SGU will become LCME accredited he is a liar. The LCME will not accredit them so get it out of your head about this silly accreditation issue.

As someone who just matched into residency let me tell youthey look at where you go to school. AMG >>>>>>>>>> Caribbean grad. I have solid board scores etc. went out of my way to rotate at a large university program, got great LOR's, had the chief of cardiology at this university make a phone call on my behalf. Guess what the BEST interviews I got were at places AMG's consider back-up safety places, places AMG's cancel their interviews late in the season. Also, I'm not talking about a lot of places I got 8 interviews out of 80 applications. Only 3 out of the 8 place had a significant number of AMG's (MD and DO) in their program. If I was an American grad my application would likely have been competitive at pretty much all places not named Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Columbia etc.

Your not getting the whole story since if you look at UMDNJ pretty much ALL of their residents are American Medical Graduates. Look at the University Programs they are super high percentage of American Medical Graduates. The fact this argument is still going on is absurd. This isn't a debate it would be a very poor, idiotic decision to go to SGU over the LCME Puerto Rican school. Do you see the only person saying SGU is just as good is someone who is employeed and is paid by SGU, not really an objective source.

Please when you are guiding people with information make sure it is accurate. Hackensack hospital is NOT a community program. They are one of the leading teaching and research hospitals in the state and in fact they are actually a university hospital, the name of their medical center is Hackensack University Medical Center. They are also in the works of having a MD program such as UMDNJ. Also, UMDNJ has many residents that are IMGs, I know this for a fact.

As far as PR vs SGU, I have received information from an assistant director of a residency program that nowadays acceptance is primarily based on your performance on board exams. SGU and PR students are both accepted, but SGU students do have slightly, and I emphasize slightly, more resources being that they rotate within American hospitals. Being a program assistant director, they said that SGU has a well performing track record which directors feel comfortable accepting student from there. Doing rotations at an American hospital allows you to receive LORs from physicians within the hospital you may apply for residency at, I'm sure that greases the wheel a little. This doesn't not make the decision clear because PR is, at the end of the day, a LCME accredited school which also go a LONG way. There are many pros and cons to weigh out, but I think you should take MCATs first, laurasanchezr, and then worry about which basket you should put your eggs in.

As far as info goes, please everyone try to give the most accurate info as possible...also I think it would be great if people would put their credentials in their posts. This would make it easier to differentiate between valuable responses and ones that are just opinion.

Please when you are guiding people with information make sure it is accurate. Hackensack hospital is NOT a community program. They are one of the leading teaching and research hospitals in the state and in fact they are actually a university hospital, the name of their medical center is Hackensack University Medical Center. They are also in the works of having a MD program such as UMDNJ. Also, UMDNJ has many residents that are IMGs, I know this for a fact.

As far as PR vs SGU, I have received information from an assistant director of a residency program that nowadays acceptance is primarily based on your performance on board exams. SGU and PR students are both accepted, but SGU students do have slightly, and I emphasize slightly, more resources being that they rotate within American hospitals. Being a program assistant director, they said that SGU has a well performing track record which directors feel comfortable accepting student from there. Doing rotations at an American hospital allows you to receive LORs from physicians within the hospital you may apply for residency at, I'm sure that greases the wheel a little. This doesn't not make the decision clear because PR is, at the end of the day, a LCME accredited school which also go a LONG way. There are many pros and cons to weigh out, but I think you should take MCATs first, laurasanchezr, and then worry about which basket you should put your eggs in.

As far as info goes, please everyone try to give the most accurate info as possible...also I think it would be great if people would put their credentials in their posts. This would make it easier to differentiate between valuable responses and ones that are just opinion.

First its MCAT, not MCATs; it's only one test, unless he takes it multiple times.

Second, jackets has stated he is a recently match graduate from the islands so his input is more valuable than anyone here.

Also, you're a new user and seem to be defending SGU as your first post, aka sales rep.

As far as PR vs SGU, I have received information from an assistant director of a residency program that nowadays acceptance is primarily based on your performance on board exams. SGU and PR students are both accepted, but SGU students do have slightly, and I emphasize slightly, more resources being that they rotate within American hospitals. Being a program assistant director, they said that SGU has a well performing track record which directors feel comfortable accepting student from there. Doing rotations at an American hospital allows you to receive LORs from physicians within the hospital you may apply for residency at, I'm sure that greases the wheel a little. This doesn't not make the decision clear because PR is, at the end of the day, a LCME accredited school which also go a LONG way. There are many pros and cons to weigh out, but I think you should take MCATs first,
laurasanchezr, and then worry about which basket you should put your eggs in.

Hackensack is a community hospital no doubt about it. It does not have an attached medical school, it is a community program. Don't care it has University in its name. They only 2 University Programs in New Jersey are UMDNJ-RWJ and UMDNJ-Newark. Yes you are right there are a few IMG's at the Newark locations but NONE at RWJ.

Again anyone that thinks there are pro's and cons of SGU and a LCME accredited medical are quite frankly stupid. This is a no brainier, no debate about it. Try getting a visiting elective at a real university program (need to put this since you think Hackensack is a university progra,) from SGU and your going to have issues. Try it from one of the PR schools and it will fairly simple and you will have options.

Now one last time a University Hospital/Program are places like NYU-Langone medical center, Columbia-NYPD, Cornell-NYP, SUNY Downstate etc. places like Hackensack and Nassau Univsersity Medical Center are COMMUNITY programs. Despite throwing the word University in their names.