Pulling a C and a B right now. Kiss medicine dreams goodbye?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgunner12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got back my midterm for economics today, and did bad to say the least. I studied a lot, but the test was just really hard for me somehow, and now I have a C. My first C ever. Hopefully I can at least change it to a B before the end of the semester, but now I'm really starting to worry. I already am pulling a B in biology, and even though I'm busting my butt hard to get an A, if this keeps up, I'll have a GPA of at least 3.4 as a freaking freshman when your life is supposed to be easiest! I'm doing really well in my Chem and Calc class since I have over 95% in both of them, but who knows? I could mess on the next test and get Bs in those classes too, in which case I'll have below a 3.0! So my question is, since I'm already doing so poorly in school, is it basically time to give up my dream already? I don't want to sound cocky, but I do think I'm intelligent enough to do it, but I'm just not a very good test taker, and that has really been killing me so far. I can't drop econ either because it's too late for that, and the class seemed easy enough, but wow. I'm really scared now, but is it time to face reality already, before the battle even really began?

btw, I'm seriously worried, so if you want to be sarcastic, please indicate it otherwise I'll take what you're saying as being serious even if it's not.

Members don't see this ad.

Simmer down. You have literally nothing to be worried about; it's still really early in the game, and several people have a "suboptimal" first semester; all adcoms care about is that you show an upward trend in your grades. You're in even a better position, since you still have time to turn your grades around.

I think you should probably take a second to breathe!

Whew, okay, with that out of the way we can think rationally. You have A's in Chem and Calc (great!), a B in Bio (not so bad), and a C in Econ (not great...but it's a non-science!). Most importantly, the first half of the semester is not even over! You have lots of time to correct things this semester, and next semester, and sophomore year, and junior year, and so forth! You're only a first semester freshman, try to relax a bit :) Things will work out if you put the work in. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely dont give up!! i had a friend who did so bad his first semester that it drop below a 2.0 ( or very near)... he busted his butt during the next 3 years to get all A's and raised it above a 3.0 and got a scholarship from one schoola and also got into emory where he is at right now...

Calm down. Chill. I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I was similarly worried when I thought I was going to get my first B. But in the long run, you will realize that it isn't the end of the world. Even a C will most certainly average out.

Just learn from your mistakes. Work harder and smarter. Economics is definitely hard if you're taking it for the first time since it involves a huge number of complex ways of looking at some supposedly simple concepts; keeping this in mind, study early on and you should do fine.

Study harder and pull a B or even an A. Good luck. :luck:

OP,

Freshman year is not necessarily the easiest year. You are adjusting to the college lifestyle and the difficulty of the classes, and sometimes the subjects studied are not in your area of academic strength, especially during freshman year where a student takes more core classes. In addition, this will be the year where you will develop the way you study.

Freshman year for me was the most difficult and the one where I performed the most poorly. Don't give up just yet.

icon1.gif
Pulling a C and a B right now. Kiss medicine dreams goodbye?

:boom:
<---------------Here are your chances now.

Gunner do this:
1. Chill out
2. Go to class
3. Study
4. Eat
5. Sleep
6. Repeat

:lol: You'll be fine. :thumbup:

[adcom member] well... looks good... wait... what is this???? a B... AND A C!!!! In his freshman year no less???? Well, he can just kiss his dream of medicine goodbye! [/adcom member]

Me: I graduated college with a 3.6 and have extensive volunteering experience.
Adcom: No 4.0, No care.

Sorry kid but you're outta' luck.

Trust me, your first exam grade is not the mark you are going to end up with. When I took Analytical I had three exams. I got 78%(C+) on first exam. I worked my ass off and managed to get 98% and 99% on the next two exams. I also had an 85% average in Calc 1 prior going into the final exam; I finished with a 95% on the final and managed to get an A.

In the end it all works out :)

OMG 4.0 EVERY term or BUST...

seriously, would you like support? do you honestly think subpar grades in your first undergrad classes will doom your aspirations? Don't make C's and B's a trend and you'll be fine.

Coming from Premed Gunner, all I can do is lolz in your face.

Take the W and drop your C class.

relax.

i graduated with 3 C's in bio and chem, more B-'s than i can count.

and i'm looking at 5 interviews right now, including Duke.

numbers aren't everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to sound cocky, but I do think I'm intelligent enough to do it, but I'm just not a very good test taker, and that has really been killing me so far.
That's a cop-out excuse. Put in the work and make sure you do well on exams.

Also, if you really are a "bad test taker", you have bigger problems than one or two classes, since medicine will require you to take lots and lots of tests. Fix whatever is causing the problem.

Also, what everyone else said.

So I got back my midterm for economics today, and did bad to say the least. I studied a lot, but the test was just really hard for me somehow, and now I have a C. My first C ever. Hopefully I can at least change it to a B before the end of the semester, but now I'm really starting to worry. I already am pulling a B in biology, and even though I'm busting my butt hard to get an A, if this keeps up, I'll have a GPA of at least 3.4 as a freaking freshman when your life is supposed to be easiest! I'm doing really well in my Chem and Calc class since I have over 95% in both of them, but who knows? I could mess on the next test and get Bs in those classes too, in which case I'll have below a 3.0! So my question is, since I'm already doing so poorly in school, is it basically time to give up my dream already? I don't want to sound cocky, but I do think I'm intelligent enough to do it, but I'm just not a very good test taker, and that has really been killing me so far. I can't drop econ either because it's too late for that, and the class seemed easy enough, but wow. I'm really scared now, but is it time to face reality already, before the battle even really began?

btw, I'm seriously worried, so if you want to be sarcastic, please indicate it otherwise I'll take what you're saying as being serious even if it's not.

R E L A X

I went into college only having gotten 2 Bs in high school. My first year in college, I got 2 Cs (one in Chem, one in Math - my two best subjects). Going into college is a big transition. It takes a little time to get used to it. Calm down, go see your professor, and talk with him/her about how you can improve your studying.

Thanks for the encouraging words (some of you), but I'm just really worried. Med school admission is really tough, and I'm just frustrated because grades are mostly all I have to show for, and definitely in economics, they are killing me. I'm just wondering though, even if I do really bad this semester and up with that 3.3, is it still possible to pull my GPA to above 3.6, since I'm guessing 3.7 is out of the question unless I get all As, if I really bust my butt and continue to do well in my science classes? I'm just pissed off because I've never had a C, and I don't want one C my freshman year in a class that I've realized now isn't my strength to kill me.

But let me ask you another question. If you were me, and you have a biology test on Monday, would you go to a party out of town (not way out of town, but at least an hour and a half's drive away) tonight, or stay back in study? The way I see it, I think it might be good to go out to a party and take my mind off of studying for a bit, but at the same time, there seems to be a lot of cons. For one, we would get back really late, so I'd essentially waste my whole day tomorrow since I'll wake up late, etc. Secondly, I don't drink, so most of the parties I've been too haven't been much fun for me because there isn't much for me to do besides talk to drunk people. Thirdly, even though I understand the main concepts, there is still a lot of detail I need to workout, plus I have other homework due Monday, so if I go tonight, then I'll basically only have Sunday to study for a test, finish my calculus homework, and finish my economics homework, which isn't fun at all. What would you do?

Thanks for the encouraging words (some of you), but I'm just really worried. Med school admission is really tough, and I'm just frustrated because grades are mostly all I have to show for, and definitely in economics, they are killing me. I'm just wondering though, even if I do really bad this semester and up with that 3.3, is it still possible to pull my GPA to above 3.6, since I'm guessing 3.7 is out of the question unless I get all As, if I really bust my butt and continue to do well in my science classes? I'm just pissed off because I've never had a C, and I don't want one C my freshman year in a class that I've realized now isn't my strength to kill me.

But let me ask you another question. If you were me, and you have a biology test on Monday, would you go to a party out of town (not way out of town, but at least an hour and a half's drive away) tonight, or stay back in study? The way I see it, I think it might be good to go out to a party and take my mind off of studying for a bit, but at the same time, there seems to be a lot of cons. For one, we would get back really late, so I'd essentially waste my whole day tomorrow since I'll wake up late, etc. Secondly, I don't drink, so most of the parties I've been too haven't been much fun for me because there isn't much for me to do besides talk to drunk people. Thirdly, even though I understand the main concepts, there is still a lot of detail I need to workout, plus I have other homework due Monday, so if I go tonight, then I'll basically only have Sunday to study for a test, finish my calculus homework, and finish my economics homework, which isn't fun at all. What would you do?

oh, I also forgot, College Gameday is coming to our campus tomorrow, so if I go to the party, I won't be able to go to College Gameday, which is probably a helluva lot more rare. So what would you do given this new condition as well

If I were to re-do college, I wouldn't party any less, I would just party more efficiently.

It took me two years to realize that I wanted nothing to do with my frat and the parties associated with it. So instead I used my weekends to hang out with people who will be my friends for the rest of my life. I didn't party any less junior or senior year, yet my GPA was around a 3.95, whereas it was below a 3 for freshman and sophomore year.

But that's just general advice. In this particular situation, just do your homework and study for your test, okay? If you don't drink and don't have much fun at these parties, why go?

I think you missed the point of everyone's advice (and the sarcastic jeers that went your way). RELAX, CHILL OUT, DON'T STRESS, BE POSITIVE. The consequences of your actions will be so minor in the long-term that you'll regret fretting over them so much. Whatever you do, understand it's always the best you're capable of doing, because you didn't do it any other way. You're a freshman, you have plenty of time to make up for your mistakes... I would focus on enjoying freshman year, because it's an incredible time and it only happens once.

oh, I also forgot, College Gameday is coming to our campus tomorrow, so if I go to the party, I won't be able to go to College Gameday, which is probably a helluva lot more rare. So what would you do given this new condition as well

Neither. Study. It's all about priorities.

Nice user name.

just try your best, and you should be ok.

if it makes you feel any better, I just got an acceptance to medical school. Most of my grades were in the A range, but I did have one C, one C+ and one B-.

Especially if the rest of your grades are high, it shouldn't matter too much in the long run.

Take a deep breath and RELAX. Final grades have not been determined, you need to change your test-taking approach. First, retake your ECON exam (make a blank copy yourself). Evaluate what you did wrong. Pinpoint these causes and take care of it. Next go to your professor and talk to him or her about the exam. Explain why you think you got a C, and tell him/her what your strategy is for the next exam. Also ask if there is anything additional you can do. It is always good for a professor to know you are caring about your grade. Biology---change your approach. Find or form a study group where you can ask each other questions and do diagrams on a white board. Go over a little bit each day, and start at a different place in the material...This will help you remember things. Just keep up and review.

In the end, if you still end up with a C or too many B's, there are options and ways.... but it just may take longer. If you really want it, just know that you can make it happen.
:)

Calm down buddy....jesus its a C .god u r a gunner. One C is not gonna ruin your medical school dreams. And its good that you are getting A's in the classes that count more...its econ who cares. I mean it makes an impact on your cgpa, but not ur bcpm (where it looks like u are doing really well). Just work really hard and if you study and do your best....u shouldnt' have any regrets....and about the notion of freshman year being the easiest. It may be true that the subject matter is the easiest, but I got my worst grades freshman year, and did ridiculously well my junior and senior year. You will learn to study and how to handle college...don't worry one C won't kill ya