Puncture proof gloves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aceofspades

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any puncture/sharp proof gloves suitable for use in the clinic? Perhaps a thin wire mesh worn underneath the gloves?

Members don't see this ad.

There are puncture resistant gloves that can be ordered from an industrial supply co.
They would be used by police, correctional officers, etc. for body searches. But I'm sure these would be way to bulky to wear under latex gloves; in addition to the loss of tactile sensation. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nitrile Sterilization or Utility Gloves. These will be a little pricey as you'll end up using five or six sets per patient while in school, maybe fewer sets per patient once you graduate.

Nitrile Sterilization or Utility Gloves. These will be a little pricey as you'll end up using five or six sets per patient while in school, maybe fewer sets per patient once you graduate.

Wouldn't control of instruments become much more difficult?

Puncture proof gloves is no replacement for using universal precautions in your day to day work.

Yes, but it would be nice to have wouldn't it? Utility gloves are way too thick. If they can make one less than 5x as thick as your average latex that will be good. I can't find anything that will be reasonably thin and medical grade. I know that very strong and thin material exist that can be used in a puncture/sharps proof or resistant glove, but they may be too expensive to use in disposable gloves.

Even with universal precautions needle stick injuries occur, whether it's caused by you or one of your assistants. It would be great to have some extra precaution in those cases.

double-glove. the best thing for now.

those are good but expensive. I would use ones with adamantium mesh or unobtanium mesh

I heard Stark Enterprises Dental Supplies has those kind of gloves. I'm thinking about getting a pair, because I think I'm developing an allergic reaction to the mithril gloves...every time I put on mithril:

IT BURNS US PRESHESSSSSSS

In all seriousness, double gloving is fine, but expensive. You lose tactile feel the thicker the glove you use (including mithril or adamantium). The best precautions are the ones that are up to you:

Don't allow your asisstant to decap/recap the needle while its in your hand.

Don't recap the needle with your opposite hand. Scoop it up instead.

Use your mirror, and not your finger for "distraction" injection technique.

Point the needle towards you, and not outwards when you're working your way to and away from the tray. A pt raising his hand to rub his nose or an assistant reaching across may inadvertently lead to a stick.

And if a stick happens, its not the end of the world. There is a very very small risk of infection.

There is a company out there that makes them. I think the company was Duzitall.

Google it. They make everything.