Purdue Online Animal Nutrition

Started by bee83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bee83

Pre-Veterinary
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taken Purdue's online animal nutrition class? I just enrolled and I'm looking at getting a textbook on Amazon. The Fifth edition is about $65, whereas I can get a 4th Edition for $10...but it's from 1995! Has anyone used an older text, and is there any reason I should get the newer text? The syllabus says an older text is acceptable, but a 16 yr-old text just seems a bit outdated. I'd love to save $55, but I don't want to end up with an inferior textbook. Any thoughts?
 
I am currently enrolled in the Purdue course. I have taken all three exams and all I have left is the final project.

I did not purchase the textbook for the course, and going into the final exam I had a 95% average. Everything on the exam you can find in the notes/presentations/study guides he provides on the BB Vista site. I discussed this with the professor previously. I have no doubt the textbook would have been a really good reference throughout the course, but I have not felt that I was missing anything by not having it.

Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here; I bought the book but found that I definitely didn't use it at all. I'm almost done with the course, and it's super easy! All memorization! The prof is super nice, and the class is fun! Good luck!
 
I loved this class too. It is easy, but there is also a TON to learn if you want. You can put more into it than is required and really learn a lot. The Prof was great, very responsive.
 
i'm going to echo everyone else here and say that you really don't need the book to do well in the class. you can get all the info from the material on the website. plus any questions you have will get answered right away from the professor. there is also a really nice discussion section of the website where you can see other people's questions and answers, which is really nice! you could consider getting the older edition just to have as a reference if you really want to have something, but i wouldn't spend tons of money for it.
 
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear it's a fun class; I need something easy to keep me entertained while I'm off school for my internship. I ordered the $10 old edition on Amazon this evening, so I should be all set.
 
Hey bee!

Taking the class right now. Dr. Forsyth is great. I bought the 4th edition of the book and rarely use it, but I've found a couple of things I needed it for! Have fun! Hope everything is going great at the zoo!