Pure Locums Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhmocksuhsillen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an individual was purely looking to do locums, would it be fairly easy to find jobs in desirable areas paying in the $150-200/hr range? Would also be open to taking assignments in higher paying areas if it meant short bursts away from home.

I've got a spouse with full benefits so no need for that...just want to maximize income while balancing time off to spend with fam. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You might not like the job, however.

Generally speaking, desirable jobs in a desirable locations have a line of people who desire to be there full time.

But the nice thing about locums is that the threshold for walking out and never going back is very low. You just don't book any more days.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are there. But they tend not to be nice places to work. Just did one at an academic center that can’t keep people because it’s poorly managed. Horrible experience.
Not ruling it out in the future, but not going to academics again.

They are there. But they tend not to be nice places to work. Just did one at an academic center that can’t keep people because it’s poorly managed. Horrible experience.
Not ruling it out in the future, but not going to academics again.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Even for these bad jobs, is the pay in that 150-200 hr range? Any tips for finding higher rates?

I do full time locums. Have been doing it for years now.
"Desirable" areas do have locums but they are usually horribly run, will treat you poorly and not worth the desirability factor.

I prefer doing locums about 1-2 hours from a major metropolitan city.

I get treated well, make bank, and have easy access to the amenities that a desirable city has.

Plus the best thing is when I tell the hospital or group when I work and don't work.

Reactions: 2 users
"Desirable" areas do have locums but they are usually horribly run, will treat you poorly and not worth the desirability factor.

I get treated well, make bank, and have easy access to the amenities that a desirable city has.

Plus the best thing is when I tell the hospital or group when I work and don't work.

What about places that might be fun to visit? I’m thinking Hawaii, Florida keys, Montana/Wyoming etc.

I would be looking more for reasonable schedule and limited call than for high hourly rate. Would also prefer bread and butter stuff although I currently do OB, cardiac, trauma.

Ok, now I’m reminding myself of the commercial where Danny Trejo says, “if you can get picky with your beer....”

“If you can get picky with your locums...”

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

What does locums pay for these assignments 1-2 hrs outside a major metro?

What does locums pay for these assignments 1-2 hrs outside a major metro?

Really depends if agency/ group is picking up your malpractice, paying for your house and car and gas.

$175-200 per hour plus med mal coverage, housing costs, rental car and gas. Housing stipend is roughly 3k and transportation stipend is $1500 per month.

Major metro areas won't cover house and car.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends if agency/ group is picking up your malpractice, paying for your house and car and gas.

$175-200 per hour plus med mal coverage, housing costs, rental car and gas. Housing stipend is roughly 3k and transportation stipend is $1500 per month.

Do you find it better to take jobs near home or fly to other states?

Great, thanks for that information. Easy enough to fill up 30-50 hours a week if one wanted with these types of opportunities?

how do you go about choosing which locum agencies to work for? any tips to 1.) suss out good ones or 2.) how to sell yourself as a new grad?

how do you go about choosing which locum agencies to work for? any tips to 1.) suss out good ones or 2.) how to sell yourself as a new grad?

Most suck. They are all people with sales background.

I tell the recruiters all the time if they come at me like a used car salesman or vacuum salesperson, they can GTFO. I've told off so many recruiters and agencies over the years, its kinda funny. There are a handful of good ones- and don't kid yourself, they too are in it for themselves. But they are "good" because they also look out of you. PM if you want a list of them.

Great, thanks for that information. Easy enough to fill up 30-50 hours a week if one wanted with these types of opportunities?

All the jobs I do guarantee me an 8 hour day/ 40 hour week. A lot of assignments I will be on the regular call rotation, post call day off and fully paid. So I do a 24 hour in house tonight, I am off at 7am but I am paid an 8 hour day rate on my post call day off. Like I said, I do full time locums and haven't skipped a beat.

Do you find it better to take jobs near home or fly to other states?

Both. I'll fly out somewhere if there is in-house call and I can make bank. If I can make a 6 months salary in 3 months, sign me up!

All the jobs I do guarantee me an 8 hour day/ 40 hour week. A lot of assignments I will be on the regular call rotation, post call day off and fully paid. So I do a 24 hour in house tonight, I am off at 7am but I am paid an 8 hour day rate on my post call day off. Like I said, I do full time locums and haven't skipped a beat.

So you get paid for 32hrs for a 24hr shift? That is a good deal, especially if you get to sleep at night.

Both. I'll fly out somewhere if there is in-house call and I can make bank. If I can make a 6 months salary in 3 months, sign me up!

Are there short term assignments often like you can find in em where desperate hospitals will pay absurd hourly rates? Only caveat being you have to fly around to get these..

Are there short term assignments often like you can find in em where desperate hospitals will pay absurd hourly rates? Only caveat being you have to fly around to get these..

Sometimes I am sitting at home watching ESPN and I get a call saying they need desperate help IMMEDIATELY. I love those phone calls- well its going to cost you a premium now :)... in the world of management companies and mergers and such, got to be able to understand the market and act accordingly.

Sometimes I am sitting at home watching ESPN and I get a call saying they need desperate help IMMEDIATELY. I love those phone calls- well its going to cost you a premium now :)... in the world of management companies and mergers and such, got to be able to understand the market and act accordingly.

Reminds me of the Summa Health ED transition where ER docs were getting $1000/hr.

Reactions: 2 users