Pursuing a Minor in BioE. Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OphthoBio

Needs more coffee
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my first post on here. Sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences. In my searches for classes, I realized I could get a minor in Bioengineering by taking 2 BioE electives and a 0 credit seminar. Would it be worth pursuing?

I am a student who basically has to work his tail off for the next 4 semesters to get into medical school (issues with depression killed my first semester GPA last year).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If it can jeopardize your GPA I would not do it. I think it would be better to take it easy and repair your GPA before trying to add anything else to your resume.

What are your motives for doing it? I don't see how it would really help you.

If you realized med school wasn't for you and wanted to pursue an engineering degree a lot more would have to go into it than just 2 BioE electives.

I am a student who basically has to work his tail off for the next 4 semesters to get into medical school (issues with depression killed my first semester GPA last year).

Sounds like you don't need any more added stress then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
This is my first post on here. Sophomore at Pitt majoring in Biological Sciences. In my searches for classes, I realized I could get a minor in Bioengineering by taking 2 BioE electives and a 0 credit seminar. Would it be worth pursuing?

Even though all of my research is BIOE research, I still am not minoring in it. All of the BIOE classes at Pitt have a lot of prerequisites that you might not be aware of. I know that they all definitely require math through calculus 3, and I believe they all might require linear algebra as well. Since you're a bio major, my guess is that you've gone through calc 2 at the most. Just something to keep in mind...

Reactions: 1 user
If you would enjoy the classes and are pretty sure you'd earn As, then take them, to help pull your GPA up. Whether you officially proclaim a minor, or not, has no impact on adcomm decision making.

It's two classes on artificial organs, which I think is the coolest class I've ever seen offered at Pitt. There's also the option to put those classes off until senior year when my schedule is less crowded and my application materials have already been submitted.

Even though all of my research is BIOE research, I still am not minoring in it. All of the BIOE classes at Pitt have a lot of prerequisites that you might not be aware of. I know that they all definitely require math through calculus 3, and I believe they all might require linear algebra as well. Since you're a bio major, my guess is that you've gone through calc 2 at the most. Just something to keep in mind...

I e-mailed the undergraduate coordinator asking about pre-requisite requirements the other day and she's out of the office until the 2nd. When I hear back, I'll probably decide then about what to do.

It's two classes on artificial organs, which I think is the coolest class I've ever seen offered at Pitt. There's also the option to put those classes off until senior year when my schedule is less crowded and my application materials have already been submitted.

The artifical organ classes have biotransport phenomena (another bioe class) as a prequisite.

I agree that they sound pretty intriguing. Waiting until after your GPA is less challenged seems like a good plan.

I e-mailed the undergraduate coordinator asking about pre-requisite requirements the other day and she's out of the office until the 2nd. When I hear back, I'll probably decide then about what to do.

I'd love to be able to take the classes myself, so let me know if the advisor says otherwise. But I have had several of my friends who are senior BIOE majors at Pitt tell me that is the case. And regardless, you definitely have to take biotransport phenomena before you can take any of the artificial organ classes.

I'd love to be able to take the classes myself, so let me know if the advisor says otherwise. But I have had several of my friends who are senior BIOE majors at Pitt tell me that is the case.

The e-mail basically asked if it was possible to take the class w/o the pre-reqs (ie. if knowledge from the pre-reqs was needed to learn the material in the class.) I will definitely let you know her response when I find out.