• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Pursuing Business/Accounting Degree (Current Vet Student)

Cowlover99

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2017
Hey everyone!

I am currently a veterinary student (just finished my first year) who is interested in practice ownership after graduation. I found out that the school I went to for undergrad offers business/accounting degrees online. I would need to take 14 additional courses to get another bachelors and it would cost $20,000. My local community college also offers an online associates accounting degree, which I could complete for under $10,000. Do you guys think it is worth me spending money to complete a degree or should I just take certain courses that would be useful. If so, what courses would you recommend? I have not taken many business courses. Thanks!

EB73674

Ohio State c/o 2025
2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2017
I don’t think there’s any point in getting an accounting degree that you may or may not ever use, and while an MBA can potentially be helpful, it’s far from necessary. Take a look at whatever your school offers for business/practice ownership and see if you can find an internship with a veterinarian-owned practice to get a little insight. You definitely don’t need a business degree to own a practice, and you likely won’t see a good return on investment on the amount of money you put in.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

itsrocky

Ain’t nothing gonna break my stride!
2+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2018
I agree strongly with everything already said. I’ll add I found my school’s business elective to be rather helpful. You could see if your vet school offers that. I am not from the most financially literate background but I’ve made a point to seek out opportunities in that regard and I don’t feel like I need a business degree to be up to speed personally. VBMA while I personally wasn’t involved is an excellent thing to stay involved in in regards to entrepreneurship and networking. You’ll meet a lot of great folks through there. I don’t think you need a business degree at all.

Reactions: 1 user

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
  1. Veterinary Student
I agree with everything as said above. I have a minor in business management from undergrad because I knew practice management was something I was interested in and didn't cost me extra so I did it. I'm also in VBMA in vet school-basically covers all the same concepts and is better because it's specific to vet med. Save your time and money.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.