Q: My Letter writer sent me LoR despite me waiving my rights on Interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnPocoLoco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might just be paranoid but a letter writer of mine emailed me my LoR as he uploaded it to Interfolio, I guess out of courtesy, despite my indication on it that I waived my access to viewing the letter. Could there be any discrepancies from this?

Moreover, upon examining the letter I noticed there were minor spelling mistakes on certain words, one including my name. Would it be worth bringing up this issue with my writer or should I just let it pass, I don't want to appear critical/ungrateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Let the errors pass. In all likelihood, the readers won't notice or won't care. You waived your right to the letters which you would otherwise have the right to see as they are considered part of your academic file.

Being invited to read the letter is like being invited into the professor's living room. He was under no obligation to let you see it but he has invited you, so you may go in and take a look.

Reactions: 1 user
I might just be paranoid but a letter writer of mine emailed me my LoR as he uploaded it to Interfolio, I guess out of courtesy, despite my indication on it that I waived my access to viewing the letter. Could there be any discrepancies from this?

Moreover, upon examining the letter I noticed there were minor spelling mistakes on certain words, one including my name. Would it be worth bringing up this issue with my writer or should I just let it pass, I don't want to appear critical/ungrateful.
I didn't use interfolio but in regards to your second point, my letter writer also made many grammatical and spelling mistakes, including my name, and I asked him to fix it and reupload. Bear in mind that both versions of the letter will be available to the schools, AFAIK, but I'd imagine they'd be most likely to read only the most recent letter. I think it is worth asking him to fix the mistakes (or fix them for him and resend it to him letting him know you fixed some minor mistakes, such as your name) and have it reuploaded. I don't think it looks good if a school sees that the person who is supposedly speaking to your character and intelligence on a personal level doesn't even know how to spell your name.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read all duplicates, trying to spot what the differences might be.
Sure, but I'm just saying IF they are going to read only one (which seems a reasonable assumption most of the time since time is of the essence) it is most likely to be the most recent. Either way, it is certainly less than ideal but didn't affect me too negatively.

If I haven't sent anything from Interfolio to schools yet, could I ensure they only receive the corrected one? Like create a new LoR request to that professor, and thats what I upload to AMCAS?