Q to PD's/Chiefs about inappropriate evals

Started by nsap102
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nsap102

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I got an inappropriate eval from an attending. The attending was a dead end so I went to the PD and asked him/her to withdraw the eval. PD says that s/he checked with the ACGME about withdrawing evals and stated that the PD does not have the power to withdraw the evals.

As I mentioned the attending who did the eval is a dead end. And this is an eval which must be withdrawn

My questions are:
1. Is there another way my PD can withdraw the eval.
2. I've looked around on the ACGME website and cannot find anything regarding this matter. If there is a link would you kindly paste one?
3. What are my other options?

Thanks
 
I can't give you the specific advice you are asking for. But generally -

1. You seem to have the PD at least somewhat on your side. Having the PD on your side is your best predictor for a satisfactory outcome, so do what you can to keep it that way.

2. Don't take the ACGME's word for anything. You need to start with the basics, and look at both your program's contract with ACGME and your contract with the program.

3. Re your program's contract with ACGME, you/your PD need to know precisely the basis on which ACGME gave the advice they did. Is there a specific ACGME document which states exactly that there can be no withdrawal of an evaluation by anyone? No substitution of a new evaluation? No appeal against it? Does whatever document which says this apply directly to your situation, or are there exemptions/exclusions? If there is no specific reference in the ACGME contract which prevents substitution/amendment of evaluations, why are ACGME saying it can't be done?

4. Provided that there is nothing in the program's agreement with AGCME which prevents it, there is no reason why the PD and you cannot agree to change how the agreement between you and the program works - the parties to a contract are almost always free to change the terms of that contract if they both agree. So what in your program's documentation prevents your PD from withdrawing or changing the evaluation (eg by redacting part of it and noting that parts of the evaluation have been removed as being inappropriate?). Can your PD add something to the evaluation, ensuring that whenever the evaluation will be seen the PD's view of it as inappropriate will also be seen?

6. If AGCME rules prevent your program from making any change/addition to the evaluation, can you change the facts on the ground by removing that part of the residency from your training record and redoing it with a different attending evaluating? (Sucks, but may still suck less than being stuck with the evaluation you are concerned about.) Alternatively, look at the consequences of this evaluation staying on your record. Who gets to see it? Can you live with/alter the consequences of the evaluation, rather than the evaluation itself?

7. If the evaluation is so inappropriate that it breaks the law by being libellous or evidence of unlawful discrimination, a threat of legal action against the attending might be an option which could result in the attending withdrawing/changing the evaluation. How about a potential complaint of unprofessional conduct? But you need to keep the PD on your side, so any proposed action of this kind would have to be done in a way which did not reflect on the program/institution, just the individual attending.
 
Is it really true that a PD does not have the power to withdraw an eval by one of his attendings? Interesting issue, I wonder what aProgdirector has to say about this.

Let's assume this for now. If you cannot have it removed from your file, can you have your comments attached to the eval?
I once had a similar problem, with an attending who had a personal issue with me and gave me an unfair eval.
I could not have it changed or removed, but I was allowed to add a comment of my own to the document. I wrote that the eval was not representative and gave my arguments.
It was the only negative eval in my whole file and my comment placed it into the right perspective. I had no trouble with the issue afterwards.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Programs don't contract with the ACGME, we are governed by them--specifically the institutional, common, and specific program requirements as interpreted by Residency Review Committees. Under "Evaluation" the common program requirements state: The faculty must evaluate resident performance in a timely manner during each rotation or similar educational assignment, and document this evaluation at completion of the assignment. While it doesn't expressly say that evaluations, once submitted, cannot be rescinded, the PD apparently checked with someone at the ACGME and they responded with that interpretation. The PD would be foolish to ignore the ACGME's opinion.

It makes sense to me that all evaluations submitted should stand--after all, no one would want a strong evaluation pulled from the resident's file even if it was an outlier opinion. But not all evaluations have equal weight, especially if the faculty member has a history of showing favoritism or can't give a specific reason for a low score.

I'd advise keeping the lines of communication open with your PD. Determine how much credence he/she gives to this poor evaluation and be proactive in asking about areas in which you could improve. Ask if you can write a rebuttal to the poor evaluation as a reflective exercise, thus turning this experience into an educational tool that the PD can cite in his/her next RRC site visit.

Receiving a bad evaluation is tough both mentally and emotionally, but it doesn't have to derail you.
 
why MUST the eval be withdrawn? it's your residency program file, not a credit report. who's going to see the eval that you're worried about it hurting your career?
 
Agree w/above 2 comments.
Usually when you go to get hired for a job/job interview, I doubt that anyone is going to directly see your evaluations. Your PD will probably be asked for an evaluation of you, which would potentially include summaries of your evaluations, but I would think if he wants to shield you from 1 or 2 evaluations, this could be done.

I'm not sure you can directly win this battle, but I think asking to add your own comments/reflections is a good idea.

Above all, I feel like you need to not antagonize your PD. Making him mad is potentially the career kiss of death for you, and usually much more important than some single bad evaluation. Is there some specific reason you are fixated on this one evaluation? Unfairness happens in life, including in medical education, but I doubt one bad evaluation will derail your career. Making your PD dislike you or think you are argumentative or a complainer could, potentially.
 
Thank you for your responses. But the problem starts after I reported attending to the program for something s/he was doing wrong. I guess the attending figured out it was me and all of a sudden took an interest in evaluating me whereas before there was no interest. Furthermore the evaluations of me are horrific and the program now wants me to repeat certain rotations thereby extending my residency. PD says he has no choice. That's why I want the evaluation negated.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Also I'd prefer IM if more info is needed so as not to post too much revealing information.
 
2. Don't take the ACGME's word for anything. You need to start with the basics, and look at...your contract with the program.

Definitely sage advice. I ran into a similar problem in med school so I made it a point to be acutely aware of my current program's GME policies and procedures, especially regarding resident evaluation and disciplinary measures. Many, if not most GME programs allow some sort of recourse if a resident or fellow believes they are the target of vitrio. If you are still considering seriously pursuing this, you should check your GME "policies and procedures" resident handbook which are usually provided at orientation. I think most GME programs allow the resident to file a formal complaint or grievance. This may be an ACGME requirement, I'm not sure.

By your attending being a "dead end" I assume you mean they were uncooperative and/or unwilling to discuss the matter. If discussions with your program director did not adequately address your concerns and you still want to pursue this you may want to consider going that route as it seems you have exhausted all informal arbitration procedures available to you. If you expect to succeed with your claim though, I'm guessing you would need to be able to provide some objective evidence that the attending eval was, in fact, inappropriate. Otherwise, you would probably be served best by following the advice others have given by just providing your side or your rebuttal to the PD for inclusion in your resident file.

... So what in your program's documentation prevents your PD from withdrawing or changing the evaluation (eg by redacting part of it and noting that parts of the evaluation have been removed as being inappropriate?). Can your PD add something to the evaluation, ensuring that whenever the evaluation will be seen the PD's view of it as inappropriate will also be seen?

I can't see any PD doing some sort of piecemeal or partial editing of the eval. You either take it at face-value or dismiss it. I don't see how or why there would be any middle ground here. It's either a reliable assessment or a misrepresentation of the facts or events.


6. Alternatively, look at the consequences of this evaluation staying on your record. Who gets to see it? Can you live with/alter the consequences of the evaluation, rather than the evaluation itself?

If the eval is clearly an outlier then I don't see why this should have any long-term or far-reaching ramifications or why it would carry much weight. If, on the other hand, you were to receive another similar eval or multiple ones from other attendings or senior residents it could and probably would be used as evidence to show a pattern. In that case it could help serve as the impetus to initiate some counseling, remediation, or disciplinary measures.

As far as ACGME policy regarding resident records retention, I'm not sure but I believe as long as the resident completes the program, only a summative evaluation based simply on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory rating in each of the ACGME core competencies remains in your permanent file. I believe individual evaluations are destroyed. Whether a PD includes aggregate comments, including negative comments, compiled from individual evalutions in a letter which is also part of the permanent file, I'm not aware of but I assume this would be separate from the summative evaluation which would be provided to credentialing/licensing committees.

7. If the evaluation is so inappropriate that it breaks the law by being libellous or evidence of unlawful discrimination, a threat of legal action against the attending might be an option which could result in the attending withdrawing/changing the evaluation. How about a potential complaint of unprofessional conduct? But you need to keep the PD on your side, so any proposed action of this kind would have to be done in a way which did not reflect on the program/institution, just the individual attending.

This is a very interesting argument and one that I have researched a bit. Are you aware of any case where a resident sued an attending or institution for defamation based on statements made in an evaluation or otherwise and prevailed? I'm not. I did come across a case Johnson vs. BMC, Dr. Lawrence Rues where the resident sued and claimed an attending made defamatory statements as part of his evaluation of her. She lost at trial and the trial court's decision was upheld on appeal.

It's difficult sometimes to decipher the legalese but the appeals court wrote in their brief that "Dr. Johnson received from BMC a booklet entitled "Special Requirements for Residency Training in Family Practice," which stated: "There must be adequate, on-going evaluation of the knowledge, competency, and performance of the residents. Entry evaluation assessment, interim testing and periodic reassessment, as well as other modalities for evaluation, should be utilized." Under these circumstances, it is not error to find that Dr. Johnson consented to the allegedly defamatory remarks, because consent to evaluation reasonably implies a consent to intra-faculty discussion of an employee's progress. The district court therefore correctly concluded that Dr. Rues's alleged remarks were privileged."

So, at least in Missouri where the case was, even if the attending's remarks were defamatory and involved a third-party, they were considered privileged and, apparently, immune to any legal claim of defamation. I suppose this is somewhat similar to the hospital peer review process for physicians which fall under "quality assurance", and therefore are also considered privileged and immune to any defamation claim. A cursory review of similar cases and their rulings shows just how heavily weighted in favor of the programs the whole thing is and what an uphill battle residents contemplating legal action have to look forward to.

I came across another case Stein vs. Trazer which involved a research fellow whose attending described in his evaluation as "psychopath, very destructive, antisocial, son-ofbit#%, intellectually incompetent, immoral, liar,homosexual, and stated that he had made up all the data for his master's thesis". It doesn't get much more inflammatory than that. I don't know what the outcome of that case was but I guess if that resident were from Missouri they'd still be screwed.

I do agree with shopsteward that you're more likely to be successful if whatever action you take (be it a formal complaint, grievance, suit) is directed at an individual and not the program or institution.

PD says that s/he checked with the ACGME about withdrawing evals and stated that the PD does not have the power to withdraw the evals.

I find it very hard to believe that the PD can not remove this eval given the ACGME's history of extreme unwillingness to mettle into resident affairs and disciplinary matters. The widest latitude and deference is given to PDs regarding essentially all aspects of resident evaluation which also makes the whole process ripe for abuse. I just can not fathom the ACGME telling a PD they are not allowed to remove an eval. Surely though, if it can be proven that there was a mispresentation of the facts then the eval should not be included.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. But the problem starts after I reported attending to the program for something s/he was doing wrong. I guess the attending figured out it was me and all of a sudden took an interest in evaluating me whereas before there was no interest. Furthermore the evaluations of me are horrific and the program now wants me to repeat certain rotations thereby extending my residency. PD says he has no choice. That's why I want the evaluation negated.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Also I'd prefer IM if more info is needed so as not to post too much revealing information.

Ahh, the plot thickens. I can't say I didn't see that coming.

If that particular attending is alone in his assessment then you might have something worth arguing. If his comments are echoed anywhere else, you are unfortunately going to be fighting a losing battle which I'm sure will not end well for you. If you continue to fight this and deny the validity of the attending's evaluation, not only will the program think you have a problem but that you have no insight into it as well.

Even if the attending's comments are patently false or a mischaracterization, they obviously carried enough weight with the PD to influence his decision to require some remediation. It's still not clear to me from your post whether this was based on a single evaluation or multiple evaluations from multiple sources. Regardless, and it sucks to say this, as long as you're a resident in their program you are at their mercy and you would be well-advised to comply with all requirements they have set forth. You do not want to squander this opportunity and be left with the uneviable task of having to find an open position in another program with bad news trailing you. Your PD may suck but he's all you got.

You should, as mentioned previously, review your GME policies and procedures manual to ensure that your program is in compliance and that you are aware of your due process and all opportunities for redress afforded you by them in the event the situation deteriorates. If your institution's GME policies do not stipulate it, I would kindly request that the PD put in writing exactly what they believe are your deficiencies, their expectation/requirements, and an exact timeline for remediation or how and when they plan to assess whether you have complied with the requirements set forth.

Also, if your GME doesn't already stipulate, you should request an advocate/mentor be assigned to assist you in the process. It can only improve your chances of successfully remediating whatever deficiency they're claiming. They are also likely in the best position to offer you truly constructive criticism which you can view as such. Assuming your mentor/advocate is satisfied with your progress, it also ensures that you're not the lone voice of your defense. In that vein, it can only help your case to have as many advocates on your side as you can get be they nurses, fellow residents/fellows, attendings, etc. If the preponderance and sheer weight of evidence is in your favor, it will make any averse decision by the PD that much more difficult to justify.

Finally, from this point on, you should be meticulous with your documentation involving all incidents good and bad.
 
This is a lesson for all students, interns, residents and fellows: never, ever start a pissing match with an attending over anything. They are going to win and you'll be utterly screwed in the end.

TS, your fate depends on whether this bad eval really is an outlier or not. If you have been an above-average resident for the whole course of your residency, and this eval is the only negative point in your file, you still stand a chance of convincing your PD that this is a personal grudge being fought out and that there is no need for you to repeat rotations.

If there is anything that can be construed as a pattern of substanderd performance, there is nothing to be done. In that case, I suggest you do not burn your bridges with the PD by starting an unwinnable war, but just do the extra time.
 
I had one horrible evaluation from an attending. Everyone else had said mostly good things so this was not taken seriously by the program director. I didn't think it should be such a huge deal. There's no reason to ask for it to be withdrawn. I think everyone has at least one really unfair evaluation.
 
Thank you for your responses. But the problem starts after I reported attending to the program for something s/he was doing wrong. I guess the attending figured out it was me and all of a sudden took an interest in evaluating me whereas before there was no interest. Furthermore the evaluations of me are horrific and the program now wants me to repeat certain rotations thereby extending my residency. PD says he has no choice. That's why I want the evaluation negated.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Also I'd prefer IM if more info is needed so as not to post too much revealing information.

I am not a PD, but I assure you that you are not being asked to repeat rotations based on ONE evaluation or ONE attendings decision.

Usually in a case like yours, there has been a history of 'little things' and yes, perhaps this is that straw you hear about.

At this point, its not worth fighting. You will end up making your extra time there that much more miserable. Put your head down and do whats asked. If you still feel that wronged, go to you GME office and discuss with the one over GME. They can be a great resource during times like these.

As others said, its NEVER worth getting into a pissing match with an attending as a resident. Unless there was something done seriously against the law (witnessed drug abuse, sexually assualting a patient, etc).. Its probably in your best interest to turn your head and move on.
 
Agree with the direction of this thread.

The ACGME has nothing to do with the individual resident in training. Calling / contacting them is a waste of time.

Evaluation policies are purely defined by the program. As mentioned, most programs will not remove an evaluation, but will weigh it based upon all factors.

It is unlikely that a single bad evaluation of an otherwise excellent resident would create a remediation plan and extension of training, although it of course depends on the details. Ad mentioned above, the most likely explanation is a history of concerns that were worded less harshly (and not accepted / recognized by the OP), with this new concerning evaluation appearing to come out of thin air.

Or, it's possible that the OP simply pissed off the wrong person. Upsetting the Chair of Surgery won't go well, regardless of your past track record.

You can fight this, or you can deal with it. Fighting it is likely to cause more problems than it solves, although if you have truly been wronged (i.e. received poor evaluations simply because you reported someone else's poor performance/behavior) then there are whistleblower laws which might protect you -- although that pathway often leads to years of litigation and pain.
 
You can fight this, or you can deal with it. Fighting it is likely to cause more problems than it solves, although if you have truly been wronged (i.e. received poor evaluations simply because you reported someone else's poor performance/behavior) then there are whistleblower laws which might protect you -- although that pathway often leads to years of litigation and pain.

I've stayed out of this discussion so far, but this is the best suggestion/advice in the entire thread (not surprisingly).

If and only if you are being scapegoated for legitimately calling bulls**t on somebody above you in the training heirarchy (which is likely almost everyone) and there are absolutely no serious deficiencies in your performance, then it is certainly worth running your complaint up the chain of command. If your PD can't/won't help, then go to the GME office. If that doesn't work (and you have a real, legitimate, legal complaint), lawyer up and go from there. (Complaining to ACGME is like complaining to AAMC that you got a bad grade on your practical gross anatomy final because the proctor didn't like you...don't bother.)

But recognize that this won't change anything WRT their decision for remediation. The best you can hope for is that, in 5 or 6 years, when this finally either settles or goes to court and whatever findings go in your favor, you could get the institution to compensate you for X months of lost attending salary due to your required remediation time. Also...if you're lucky...they'll pay for your lawyer.

OTOH, you can put your head down, keep your nose clean, do what they're asking, document the hell out of any and every mildly negative interaction with an attending and get out as fast as you can. While you can (and in some rare, well defined cases, should) "fight the power," it's not going to be a walk in the park and it's not a guaranteed win for you.
 
I still don't understand what the big deal is. If the bad evaluation isn't harming you in any way- then you can just take it with a grain of salt. I had one horrible evaluation, the rest were average to superior. Most of the horrible evaluation was BS, some wasn't. I worked on the crticicisms that were valid and moved on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still don't understand what the big deal is. If the bad evaluation isn't harming you in any way- then you can just take it with a grain of salt. I had one horrible evaluation, the rest were average to superior. Most of the horrible evaluation was BS, some wasn't. I worked on the crticicisms that were valid and moved on.

You missed the part later on where s/he said "and because of this one bad evaluation, my program is making me repeat half the year." I'm guessing those two things are true, true and peripherally related (rather than cause/effect) though.
 
Starting a legal case is the modern day equivalent of a gathering of physical force against someone occupying the same territory as you. People who choose to start legal actions are usually misguided, shady, or have nothing left to lose.

To avoid getting into a legal case the best thing to do is organise your affairs so that the question never comes up. If that doesn't work, use every negotiating tool you have to resolve the issue. If negotiation doesn't work, move away from the problem, either mentally, physically, or financially. If that doesn't work, try the law because you've nothing left to lose and it is one step more evolved that a physical fight.

I agree in this case the OP still has their residency and a chance to complete it, and still has a reasonably sympathetic Program Director (although it looks from what aProgDirector says that their contacting ACGME may have been something of a diversionary tactic). That's a hell of a lot to lose. Time to move on mentally?
 
I agree with shopsteward.
TS: count your blessings. You still have a residency and a chance to complete it. 6 months may seem like an eternity now, but it'll soon be over and then you'll be a free attending. Make too much trouble now and you might loose everything you have worked so hard to build up.

As Gutonc said, there is almost never any gain from starting a lawsuit against senior staff. It'll take years, your life will be on hold in the meantime, and the outcome is very uncertain. Unless you personally watched this attending molest a patient or down a bottle of bourbon before a procedure, you should just fold.