Q: what do you call the smartest student in your pharmacy class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmtoCS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A: a dropout

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Someone who will get a job?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol dropout has 0% chance of earning pharmacist pay AND has the debt.

Graduate has 1% chance with a bit more debt. lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users

This begs the question, how much do you have to spend before you reach the point of no return? 50k, 75k, 100k? Maybe we should make a poll!

This begs the question, how much do you have to spend before you reach the point of no return? 50k, 75k, 100k? Maybe we should make a poll!

Depends what the dropout is jumping to and when.

If it’s P-3 dropout Uber driver...probably a bad idea

Well a seasoned hospital tech can make an upwards of high $20s/hr while pharmacist salaries are going to fall to the $20s/hr soon enough so a dropout who converts to a tech is definitely better positioned in the long run than a pharmacist. The comparison would be:

Dropout who saved $50-100k tuition and 1-2 years of schooling who makes $20s/hr with a stable, in demand job.

Graduate with $50-100k more debt with 1% chance of getting a pharmacist job that pays $30/hr (being generous here) with no raises and the potential for their job to be cut every 1-3 years.

So the real question is if it is worth paying $50-100k ($200k+ if you count a P0-P1 dropout) for a job that pays 5 bucks more more than what you can make with a high school GED?

I highly doubt if pharmacist salary will drop below $40/hour for retail chains. They are greedy but they are also aware that pharmacists have duties and there are qualities they need to ensure. Pay rate for independent setting will be anyone`s game.

Smartest person will be someone who does truly good networking while in school. The employment for new graduates will highly depend on who they know rather than what they know.
Second smartest person is someone who is in that class for passion and not for money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just pointing out how ridiculous you sound. No need to get defensive.
“Pointing out how ridiculous you sound” is different from “Get out of here with your trolling” which is a personal attack.

I am not trolling and fully believe that you do have a 1% or less chance of getting a job as a new grad in today’s job climate. When you have 15,000 new grads each year with BLS projecting a 0% job growth over the next 10 years, I don’t need to get detailed with the math to tell you that % employment is going to be <1%. Those numbers will never be published because pharmacy schools will always be counting their grads who obtained a residency/fellowship (never mind that those are effectively 1-2 year contract positions) or a community pharmacy position (never mind that the majority of these are grad intern positions which are still basically contract positions) as being “employed post graduation,” so the ultimate report-out will stay put at something like 50%+. Matter of fact it might increase because more and more of these post-grad training opportunities are being created.

I like how, in the course a few weeks on SDN, pharmacist salaries “are going to $40/hr” to “$30/hr” now “$20/hr” then “unemployment forever” then “negative money because I say so”

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I like how, in the course a few weeks on SDN, pharmacist salaries “are going to $40/hr” to “$30/hr” now “$20/hr” then “unemployment forever” then “negative money because I say so”

It’s called reforecasting. Originally, most had projected salaries to fall on an annual basis, but based on trends over the last few months it is becoming clear that salaries are going to drop every few months. What we couldn’t have predicted a few months ago:

-Walmart all of a sudden laying off most of their senior pharmacists who made too much money

-DIR AND PBM rebate reforms did NOT pass.

-BLS publishing the 0% job growth statistic that has been cited through and through on social media and Linkedin, to the point where all the “career pivot” hustlers are out in force now.

The supply and demand curve doesn’t follow a simple linear pattern and must be accounted for as such. I’ve been maintaining that pharmacist salaries will average out to be $25-30 on Reddit when you factor in number of hours worked, and I still stand by that.

Simply getting on Indeed would tell you how much pharmacies are paying right now. No where in Texas is paying lower than low $50s. Realistically speaking, salary could only go up. CVS and other bigs are controlling hours worked instead of $ amount which is why Walmart cut 40% of the people. Salaries have have dipped due to saturation at the moment but it will eventually be on the rise again once this **** show settles down. The questions is when that's gonna happen....

There was a actually post on Reddit recently about a student dropping out to go to a coding bootcamp when they were a P1. Everyone thought they were crazy for dropping but they ended up earning the equivalent of a pharmacist salary by the time their peers graduated - and had savings instead of debt.

I thought to myself...they must have been the smartest person in the class.

There was a actually post on Reddit recently about a student dropping out to go to a coding bootcamp...
Was the student studying CS stuff while in pharmacy school? Coding bootcamps usually have requirements and don't accept just anyone off the street.

There was a actually post on Reddit recently about a student dropping out to go to a coding bootcamp when they were a P1. Everyone thought they were crazy for dropping but they ended up earning the equivalent of a pharmacist salary by the time their peers graduated - and had savings instead of debt.

I thought to myself...they must have been the smartest person in the class.

This is the argument between Andrew Yang vs. Bernie Sanders. Not everyone is going to want to work for the government just like not everyone is going to want to code or even be able to. Sure, money is good but is that all we care about? Id rather be a good happy pharmacist at an independent than be a coder. It may be a difficult time for pharmacists right now but we aint gonna make things better by just trashing our own profession.

My father's class: A multimillionaire, fantastically generous donor to Temple
(One) My aunt's class: A murderer, felon at USP - Lewisburg (Temple 1996)
My class: The most careworn woman in the world (has everything, pharmacy director, great spouse, church elder, two kids, etc but has no time and it shows).

ok dude

Was the student studying CS stuff while in pharmacy school? Coding bootcamps usually have requirements and don't accept just anyone off the street.

Why would someone with a computer science degree go to coding boot camp? That's like asking if the pharmacy tech school student has a PharmD.

Reactions: 2 users
Why would someone with a computer science degree go to coding boot camp? That's like asking if the pharmacy tech school student has a PharmD.
Why not? And no its not. A lot of students get both a CS degree and a certificate from the bootcamp. Also, that wasnt my question. My question was, was the pharmacy student doing a lot of CS stuff while in pharmacy school? Coding bootcamps usually have requirements and don't accept just anyone off the street.

Why not? And no its not. A lot of students get both a CS degree and a certificate from the bootcamp. Also, that wasnt my question. My question was, was the pharmacy student doing a lot of CS stuff while in pharmacy school? Coding bootcamps usually have requirements and don't accept just anyone off the street.

If they have a CS degree then they already know how to code and will likely have a job already. Again why would anyone with a CS degree go to coding boot camp?

If they have a CS degree then they already know how to code and will likely have a job already. Again why would anyone with a CS degree go to coding boot camp?
Unless they didn’t pay attention at all, in which case they’ll have the same outcomes as they will.

Unless they didn’t pay attention at all, in which case they’ll have the same outcomes as they will.

If they didn't pay attention then they wouldn't have a CS degree. They don't hand them out unless you can code.

Higher starting pay. Otherwise, why would there be statistics on the average starting pay for software engineers that don't have neither, have a degree, have a certificate, or have both? At this point I am going to assume you were just lying about everything you said in this thread since you can't wrap your head around this concept of having both a degree and certificate and the fact that you seem to want to dodge my actual question and instead bring up some different argument.

Higher starting pay. Otherwise, why would there be statistics on the average starting pay for software engineers that don't have neither, have a degree, have a certificate, or have both? At this point I am going to assume you were just lying about everything you said in this thread since you can't wrap your head around this concept of having both a degree and certificate and the fact that you seem to want to dodge my actual question and instead bring up some different argument.

You openly admitted to trolling in another thread so I don't even know why I'm responding to a troll. Anyone with a CS degree is not going to bother with a coding boot camp.

You openly admitted to trolling in another thread so I don't even know why I'm responding to a troll. Anyone with a CS degree is not going to bother with a coding boot camp.
Lmao, its actually pretty cute how angry you are at me shutting down your troll threads as well as troll attempts. Try harder next time. Next time, answer my actual question with some truths but with one ridiculous claim sprinkled in there. That comment about the reddit post was a good start, it got me to reply to you. But your follow up trolling skills are terrible

But once again, why do these troll threads stay open?

Lmao, its actually pretty cute how angry you are at me shutting down your troll threads as well as troll attempts. Try harder next time. Next time, answer my actual question with some truths but with one ridiculous claim sprinkled in there. That comment about the reddit post was a good start, it got me to reply to you. But your follow up trolling skills are terrible

But once again, why do these troll threads stay open?

I love vanilla ice cream. But on occasion I will have some lemon cookie ice cream. That ish is the bomb.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
At this point I am going to assume you were just lying about everything you said in this thread since you can't wrap your head around this concept of having both a degree and certificate and the fact that you seem to want to dodge my actual question and instead bring up some different argument.

No, we can't wrap our heads around the concept of going to coding boot camp, once someone already has the degree. People can get certified without going to coding boot camp, so if someone has a degree, I would assume they got certified on their own, or even in school. If someone had a degree and had went to coding boot camp, I would assume they had went to coding boot camp first, then enjoyed it so much that they decided to make a career out it and went back to college to get their degree.

Simply getting on Indeed would tell you how much pharmacies are paying right now. No where in Texas is paying lower than low $50s. Realistically speaking, salary could only go up. CVS and other bigs are controlling hours worked instead of $ amount which is why Walmart cut 40% of the people. Salaries have have dipped due to saturation at the moment but it will eventually be on the rise again once this **** show settles down. The questions is when that's gonna happen....
Y'all get benefits tho. Like pto, health insurance, etc. That is worth alot too.

No, we can't wrap our heads around the concept of going to coding boot camp, once someone already has the degree.
Thats the first answer I gave in one of my posts. "Higher starting pay."

People can get certified without going to coding boot camp, so if someone has a degree, I would assume they got certified on their own, or even in school.
Are you talking about those microcertificates or whatever they are called?

If someone had a degree and had went to coding boot camp, I would assume they had went to coding boot camp first, then enjoyed it so much that they decided to make a career out it and went back to college to get their degree.
Coding bootcamp isn't like getting a degree and getting a degree isn't like coding bootcamp. This is like thinking getting a degree in chemistry is the same as getting a certificate saying you know how to properly run a research lab. Coding bootcamp is going to only teach you practical applications of 1 or a group of protocols
Once again, coding bootcamps don't just take in anyone off the street. So back to my original question to which you guys all avoided, "Did the pharmacy student study CS stuff while in pharmacy school?" To which no one answered hence my doubt. Can you wrap your head around this? If not, I can keep elaborating to the point where I am basically just copy and pasting things from google.

I love vanilla ice cream. But on occasion I will have some lemon cookie ice cream. That ish is the bomb.

Whats lemon cookie ice cream?

Last edited:
Well if $$$ equates to smarts....just take a good hard look and mental evaluation of a current President
Eh, he doesn't have $$$$ either. Smoke and mirrors and a heavy case of psychopathy.

lol. Salaries are going to rise again?
Maybe for a victor like you at the cost of losers going hungry.

The **** show is here to stay around for at least a decade. All pharmacists and pharmacy students have plan to make this their life time career.

lol. Salaries are going to rise again?
Maybe for a victor like you at the cost of losers going hungry.

The **** show is here to stay around for at least a decade. All pharmacists and pharmacy students have plan to make this their life time career.
This is statistically true. Pharmacist salaries have increased at a steady pace for last two decades. Even with saturation, you cant just reverse the economy and do what ever the hell you want. Even if youre cvs haha then they would just pay you nothing and make you work with honor lol

Last edited:
This is statistically true. Pharmacist salaries have increased at a steady pace for last two decades. Even with saturation, you can just reverse the economy and do what ever the hell you want. Even if youre cvs haha then they would just pay you nothing and make you work with honor lol
Sure. The salary will continue to rise because it has been rising in the past. Makes perfect sense. Flawless.

Sure. The salary will continue to rise because it has been rising in the past. Makes perfect sense. Flawless.
Awesome counter argument. I got you man i got you. But that aint it chief.

This is statistically true. Pharmacist salaries have increased at a steady pace for last two decades. Even with saturation, you cant just reverse the economy and do what ever the hell you want. Even if youre cvs haha then they would just pay you nothing and make you work with honor lol

Starting pay has gone down $10/hr the past year or two. Walgreens hasn't given a raise or bonus in 2-3 years. CVS has given negligible raises/bonuses if any. Salaries are not going up, if anything they are below inflation which means they're going down.

Where is salary going up at a steady pace?

There's an exact answer to your question. You'd calculate the net present value (NPV) of the decision to dropout vs stay and work as a pharmacist. Easy to do in Excel for those financially literate among us. If anyone wants me to do it for them pm me. I'll do it for $500 and you'll save tens to hundreds of thousands over your career :cigar:
although I agree with you - you have to make assumptions to make this work - the biggest assumption - will you get a job or not? if not - drop the heck out, if yes - it might make sense to stay in

this is an insane argument - they went up so fast because of the shortage, which has definitely disappeared. They have NOT increased at a steady pace, I got the highest raise one could get last year at my job - and it was the second lowest I have gotten in 15 years. I used to average 5%, now I am at 3% - and the average raise is less than 2%. Like @TerryTerry said - salaries are going down, new hires are making less now than they did 5 years ago.

Had an ad on instagram today for UW-Madison pharmacy school. It started you’ll end up with a 116k salary and I was like sounds legit . Someone would definitely fall for that.

Imagine making your life purpose debating about how Pharmacy sucks all day on the internet instead of doing anything better with your life.

Imagine making your life purpose debating about how Pharmacy sucks all day on the internet instead of doing anything better with your life.

This is a serious thread, we have no tolerance for trolls on SDN.

• Haha