Qs about Baltimore residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tezzie

b*witched
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us pretty much set on going to Hopkins next year (or UMD) can you guys give some insight about Baltimore. I searched online for some apartments and they seem to be cool (and somewhat inexpensive) but i know nothing about the areas. I really liked a couple of lofts that i saw but they seem to be around 1k. What is the average price of a nice 1 bdr in a secure building in a nice and safe area?

Can you please tell me about a few of the apartment buildings and areas? Where to stay? Where do current Hopkins students stay? Is a car in Baltimore necessary.

Also how is the nightlife. Is there a club scene or does one need to go to DC?

Members don't see this ad.

Tezzie, does this mean I'll be seeing you in Baltimore next year? What happened to Wash U?

Originally posted by Tezzie
For those of us pretty much set on going to Hopkins next year (or UMD) can you guys give some insight about Baltimore. I searched online for some apartments and they seem to be cool (and somewhat inexpensive) but i know nothing about the areas. I really liked a couple of lofts that i saw but they seem to be around 1k. What is the average price of a nice 1 bdr in a secure building in a nice and safe area?

Depends. Mt. Vernon is a really nice cultural area, tons of restaurants, and bars. Rent is a little higher than other parts -- maybe 800-1000 for an eff or 900-1300 for a 1 bdr. Another place -- Charles Village, the location of the Hopkins undergrad campus. Plenty of apartments with efficiencies from 400-600 (mine was in the Broadview, $535/mo), 1bdr $700-900. You can take a shuttle from Charles Village to JHMI.

Can you please tell me about a few of the apartment buildings and areas? Where to stay? Where do current Hopkins students stay? Is a car in Baltimore necessary.

In Charles Village -- Marylander, Broadview, are pretty good, affordable places. Ambassador, Carlyle, University One are upscale. Getting a house w/ roommates is the cheapest option, but is less safe. A car is very very helpful. (there is no public transit in Charles Village except for buses) If you live in NW Baltimore (Pikesville), there is a metro line.

Redwood Trust is pretty good--.... Plus there are some really nice art places like The Charles Theatre...

DC is accessible via the MARC train. I think it's 8 dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rackd8ball
Tezzie, does this mean I'll be seeing you in Baltimore next year? What happened to Wash U?

Johns Hopkins is a free ride to do whatever you want. Why wouldn't you want to go there? ;)

Originally posted by Tezzie

UMD is in downtown baltimore and JHU is in east baltimore. There are a LOT of nice, reasonably priced apartments in downtown baltimore on lombard and pratt street. The nightlife in baltimore sucks. THere are a lot of strips of bars near the inner harbor. Clubbing and what not requires a trip to DC. I think a car isnt a bad idea in baltimore. I had one while I lived downtown. Parking isnt as bad as in other major cities. You'll probably want to get out of baltimore to regain your sanity so I would get a car.

nightlife: redwood trust unfortunately closed down (the owner was shot outside of the entrance a few months ago). red maple and club one are nice places for the grad student age crowd. the BSO and opera house are great too.

living is cheap. many jhmi students live around the homewood campus and take the free hopkins shuttle to the med school. homewood area housing is indeed very cheap.

contrary to what the bus benches say in baltimore, baltimore is NOT the "greatest city in america" by a very long shot. a dingy town i'm looking forward to leaving upon graduation.