Quantifying Job Market Difficulties and predicting ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you might be forgetting about location.

An academic doctor on the beach as @Neuronix has described himself might be lucky to get half of a private practice doc in rural midwest.

That doesn't mean one is doing better than the other but that people prioritize different things in life.

The problem with radiation oncology is that desirable location use to mean SF bay and Manhattan. Now it means within one hour of any place you have heard of before.

In response to the above (not your post), no - I'm not trolling. What I would consider calamitous for a field like Rad Onc is 250k starting salary, given its residency and attending lifestyles.

Here's the thing to remember: for almost all physicians other than Insta-famous plastic surgeons, the only way to pull numbers like 700k is precisely to move to those "undesirable" locations people on this forum dislike. I mean, can a family med or IM doc pull 500k in the NYC or LA areas by hustling and offering Botox and aesthetic medicine? Sure, but people go to med school to be able to master a particular field in residency +/- fellowship, then coast on that knowledge for the rest of their careers (with weekly or monthly knowledge updates from their respective fields' journals). And even if one chooses to live in Bumf***ville, very few subspecialties offer the chance to crack 500k without working 80-hour weeks.

Diagnostic rads is the only field that offers true geographical independence combined with amazing pay, and I don't know why on earth this isn't the specialty 99% of med students choose, but whatever.

I know, Rad Oncs used to make >1 mil. And internists used to be able to make in the high-six figures (even in the 7s) back when physicals reimbursed a few hundred dollars each. Times have changed.

Members don't see this ad.

Like hitting the lottery. I assume it happens, but not very often.

What was the average first year salary last year? 300-350k? That honestly isn't bad as long as you're open to going anywhere and having little mobility.

What things will look like in 5-10 years, nobody knows.

Hal9k's post, for one, provides a very different perspective.

I used to tell med students to avoid rad onc strictly because of the market woes about which I'd read on this forum. I'm not sure I can do that anymore in good conscience. It's a fascinating field (I rotated in it for a month as a student), and I don't think I can tell med students that they need to avoid a field that will "only" pay them 500k.

Sure, nobody knows the future, but I suspect rad onc leadership will find ways to tighten the market in the next couple of years. Judging by the threads on the forum, pressure on them is building. I wrote some months ago that residents will need to coalesce and make collective demands, and that will likely happen. Nationalized healthcare, as is likely coming under this administration, may either "grandfather in" physicians as part of a bloated govt structure, or slash our incomes across the board because we're wealthy enough to be ripe targets, but too poor to lobby like financiers. That's the wild card.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users

I used to tell med students to avoid rad onc strictly because of the market woes about which I'd read on this forum. I'm not sure I can do that anymore in good conscience. It's a fascinating field (I rotated in it for a month as a student), and I don't think I can tell med students that they need to avoid a field that will "only" pay them 500k.

Sure, nobody knows the future, but I suspect rad onc leadership will find ways to tighten the market in the next couple of years. Judging by the threads on the forum, pressure on them is building. I wrote some months ago that residents will need to coalesce and make collective demands, and that will likely happen. Nationalized healthcare, as is likely coming under this administration, may either "grandfather in" physicians as part of a bloated govt structure, or slash our incomes across the board because we're wealthy enough to be ripe targets, but too poor to lobby like financiers. That's the wild card.
Laughable

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In response to the above (not your post), no - I'm not trolling. What I would consider calamitous for a field like Rad Onc is 250k starting salary, given its residency and attending lifestyles.

Here's the thing to remember: for almost all physicians other than Insta-famous plastic surgeons, the only way to pull numbers like 700k is precisely to move to those "undesirable" locations people on this forum dislike. I mean, can a family med or IM doc pull 500k in the NYC or LA areas by hustling and offering Botox and aesthetic medicine?
At least they can get jobs in those metros every year

Reactions: 3 users

If we totally banned all residencies for the next 10 years, but allowed current residents to graduate, there would still be around 6000 radoncs in mid 2030s while baby boomers die off, smoking related cancers plummet, and radiation is ommitted more frequently in breast cancer. Your conception of job market is absurd. Radoncs are only getting offers of 400k in places where other specialties pay more! And rural places being actually rural- there are not that many of them. (Although they do have trouble filling) Posters here talk about salaries like frat bros boast abt girls.
Lastly, nationalize health would absolutely kill us- you wouldn’t need so many centers in large urban areas (ex: modern European of Canadian city)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Here's the thing to remember: for almost all physicians other than Insta-famous plastic surgeons, the only way to pull numbers like 700k is precisely to move to those "undesirable" locations people on this forum dislike. I mean, can a family med or IM doc pull 500k in the NYC or LA areas by hustling and offering Botox and aesthetic medicine? Sure, but people go to med school to be able to master a particular field in residency +/- fellowship, then coast on that knowledge for the rest of their careers (with weekly or monthly knowledge updates from their respective fields' journals). And even if one chooses to live in Bumf***ville, very few subspecialties offer the chance to crack 500k without working 80-hour weeks.

Diagnostic rads is the only field that offers true geographical independence combined with amazing pay, and I don't know why on earth this isn't the specialty 99% of med students choose, but whatever.

I know, Rad Oncs used to make >1 mil. And internists used to be able to make in the high-six figures (even in the 7s) back when physicals reimbursed a few hundred dollars each. Times have changed.
Best of luck to you as you venture back to the radiology forum.

I think we can agree that you know best about the radiology job market.

I promise you won't come over here and teach us anything about our market.

Reactions: 4 users

I guess the salary I mentioned doesn’t sound too bad. However, the other part of my job search is, i absolutely cannot find any job opening in larger cities. All the offers I get are in cities with population <100k. I want to stay close to family but I simply can’t find anything close enough. For PP job starting at 400k, you work 5 days a week with 15 days vacation a year, not much upper potential. 500k may not sound too bad but considering you have to live in a rural place working extremely hard, it’s really not that attractive. I would rather get paid 300k and live in a big city with family and friends. The thing with rad onc is, you cannot choose, unlike other specialties. You have to wait years for an opening in a big city. For someone who invests 500k on education and 10+ years’ of best years of their life training, they should be able to do way better than this. Ppl who have a CS college degree can easily get a 200k salary job in California and start saving for retirement in early 20’s. Ppl in our fields can keep denying the reality but they will just lose talents to other fields.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Ppl in our fields can keep denying the reality but they will just lose talents to other fields.
Rad oncs have two superpowers: an ability to rapidly multiply any integer from 1 to 45 by 1.8 in their head, and denying reality.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
I guess the salary I mentioned doesn’t sound too bad. However, the other part of my job search is, i absolutely cannot find any job opening in larger cities. All the offers I get are in cities with population <100k. I want to stay close to family but I simply can’t find anything close enough. For PP job starting at 400k, you work 5 days a week with 15 days vacation a year, not much upper potential. 500k may not sound too bad but considering you have to live in a rural place working extremely hard, it’s really not that attractive. I would rather get paid 300k and live in a big city with family and friends. The thing with rad onc is, you cannot choose, unlike other specialties. You have to wait years for an opening in a big city. For someone who invests 500k on education and 10+ years’ of best years of their life training, they should be able to do way better than this. Ppl who have a CS college degree can easily get a 200k salary job in California and start saving for retirement in early 20’s. Ppl in our fields can keep denying the reality but they will just lose talents to other fields.
This is exactly my experience as well.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

It would behoove you to read an op-ed response from a major rad Onc chairman several years ago who basically admitted expansion was done to drive down salaries

No offense, but your posts read like they are written from the perspective of a college freshman or sophomore. Which is fine. But again, I will explain the situation. It is very simple and hopefully somebody who is pre-med without a background in the nature of these things can follow it.

The delivery of radiotherapy services is expensive. Very expensive. It is this way for a reason. Say, compared to the delivery of psychotherapy services. One of those costs more than the other due to the complexity of the delivery as well as some other market and non-market forces.

Radiation oncologists, and doctors in general, typically perform a service, then charge for it, and are paid based upon a negotiated rate. Treating an average of 30 patients a day would typically result in collections of well over 1M/year that would be paid to the doctor for his/her service. The owner of the machine and building would then charge a secondary facility fee, which is many multiples of this, to cover the overhead of the technical aspects of treatment delivery and return a profit on their upfront investment and risk in building such an expensive center. This how small radiation departments are able to bring in 10M+ a year (hint: It's not the doctor's fee).

Very often, hospitals own the machine and the rad onc's building. What has happened in recent years, due to a number of factors not the least being an oversupply of radiation oncologists, is that hospitals have figured out that they can employ radiation oncologists and completely control all aspects of billing and hide it all from the physician. The physician gets paid a salary and gets a handful of benefits that probably amount to being worth $100k or so (the majority of which is the PTO the physician would otherwise have had to pay a locums for). There is usually also typically some sort of RVU (a work credit system) "bonus," which is essence is a total scam that provides the physician diminishing pay for increasing work that he/she othewise would have fully collected. The end result is that the physician ends up making about 30-50% (or more in competitive markets ) less in this situation. In addition to losing autonomy, control of practice, and the benefits of not being a W-2 employee in terms of taxes and handling business expenses.

So, where do those excess fees go that the physician otherwise would be making if billed directly? The hospital is still billing them. The patients and the payors are still paying the same prices. Yes, of course the hospital is keeping them. And all the while, the hospital, and people like you, are gaslighting physicians and telling them things like they are "greedy" and should "be lucky to making X." Not cool. Not cool at all when you understand what's going on and where the money's going.

Your comments about nationalized healthcare really tell the story here that you don't know what's going on. Very few in politics have any real interest in actually driving prices down. Where the real interest is, like always, is screwing the little guy/small business in favor of the mega corps (pharma and hospital systems). The little guy is the independent physician or even the small independent hospital. The fake news is that we're the problem. The big benevolent academic hospital system needs to take control of us to keep us from financially exploiting patients (coincidentally they charge and collect far more than we do for the same service and do things like abuse the 340b system. Nothing to see there, of course).

So there's the lesson for pre-meds.
The lesson for residents is still:
1. DO NOT accept an employed rural position (this is most of the crap that is advertised these days). If you must, do not touch a salary < 700k.
2. If you can find a PP with partnership track with ownership, take it whereever it is. Yes, the gamble of the buy-in is worth it when compared to the crap deal of working for a hospital.
3. The next best option is to be part of a larger group that contracts with a hospital to provide services.
4. Being a solo radiation oncologist employee for a hospital is the worst possible situation you could be in as a rad onc (this includes staffing a satellite for a system). If you are solo, you need to be independent, period.

The lesson for med students is simply do not apply to this field. You will likely end up in the #4 category above. Apply to a field where you have a higher chance of practicing independently and there is not an oversupply. I had a call with a hospital recently and told them I would I staff their clinic for them and handle everything independently and bring in a lot more patients. The call ended abruptly. "All of our physicians are employed." Which is a lie. Every hospital still has a few groups or physicians that haven't been absorbed yet. But they will eventually.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

This is an important addition to your earlier post. If it's truly impossible to find a job in NYC, Denver, Chicago, or LA for 300k, then there are profoundly legitimate complaints about the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Programs like mskcc are going to have a lot of heated competition within themselves as all 5 residents vie for the one or 2 satellite spots.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing for any program right now! Almost every place I’ve been to had residents who wanted to stay on. Bigger programs often have multiple people who want to stay in the same class! Can make for some unwarranted stress. This is in part driven by how poor other opportunities are. 4+ years ago in my program, options essentially were partnership track vs. academics. Now add employed positions to the mix since partnership track is harder to find, and academics gets a lot more competitive. This will only get worse for the foreseeable future.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Would anyone buy into a technical opportunity in today’s environment? Even if perfect situation (CON state and no competition), couldn’t decline in reimbursements crush you while you’re on the hook for millions in buy-in?
In a perfect situation.... yep. Even if I'm on the hook for millions at least I'll have a job. I don't intend on firing myself any time soon ;)

Would anyone buy into a technical opportunity in today’s environment? Even if perfect situation (CON state and no competition), couldn’t decline in reimbursements crush you while you’re on the hook for millions in buy-in?
More risk, more reward. The current environment has only served to help existing practices and hinder further upstarts, so if you can make it, you get the ultimate in job security. No one is firing you from your own Linac

About 18 months ago I was offered a job at Tulane's main teaching site (a HCA owned hospital in downtown New Orleans). Pay was $250,000 because I was told it was "academics." There was no retirement benefits and a 401K match only starting after 3 years of employment.

• Haha
  • Wow
About 18 months ago I was offered a job at Tulane's main teaching site (a HCA owned hospital in downtown New Orleans). Pay was $250,000 because I was told it was "academics." There was no retirement benefits and a 401K match only starting after 3 years of employment.
that is total garbage - on all fronts - pay and retirement

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

That place is hot garbage too

I absolutely would've loved to be down there. But basically there was no flexibility on the pay so had to punt (after student loan payment I would've been netting like 8K per month). A new grad ended up taking the job. In the nola market, Tulane is probably considered the least desirable employer for rad onc, which is why there is a new set of attendings every few years there.

If you poke around on the RO Google Spreadsheet used by residency applicants, you pretty quickly get a sense of how truly *#!$'d this field is.

Never mind that RO physician efforts reimburse hospitals huge sums of money, often millions of dollars of which much is untaxed due to 501c3 status.

Never mind the onerous board exams required to practice as a radiation oncologist.

Never mind the 'leadership' in our field which has created a crisis of employment, limiting opportunities for mobility while decreasing earning potential.

Our newest colleagues-to-be frequently bemoan a desire for high incomes, frequently stating they'd be happy with IM salaries.

It's a match made in heaven for departmental chairs: eager, broke applicants who aren't aware of their value, and the delta between what they make for the system and what they take home as salary goes towards further expanding their satellite empires. Rinse and repeat!

Reactions: 8 users
I absolutely would've loved to be down there. But basically there was no flexibility on the pay so had to punt (after student loan payment I would've been netting like 8K per month). A new grad ended up taking the job. In the nola market, Tulane is probably considered the least desirable employer for rad onc, which is why there is a new set of attendings every few years there.
If Tulane is ever allowed to start a residency program, it will be the end of the field. This will be an absolute hellpit swamp place which would treat residents worst than their attendings. It is a total known revolving door “academic” place. HCA hospitals would all start programs like they did in EM.

Go Larry. Go Trevor. Although all these writings are still not giving me a bunch of insight or hope about ways forward.
Agreed. Though I found it disappointing that Larry revealed himself to be squarely in the "RadOnc gets paid too much" camp based on comments at a visiting professorship. Would be nice if leaders in the field who did well for themselves over the past decades weren't set on forcing compensation downwards.

• Sad
  • Wow
Love how in the ASTRONews these are the ads

2F1382DC-3992-4EA6-8313-D922B16A4418.jpeg

"Even if it may seem like a good idea to have an inpatient service, this would generally be a deterrent to many trainees and faculty alike who have not practiced general medicine for years. From a training perspective, having an inpatient service would add a great deal of instruction time and resources, It would be the death of small programs and put average sized programs in jeopardy, as they would lack the faculty to devote to the increased teaching demand while maintaining a thriving practice."

"We are now in our third year of a downtrend in number of applications to radiation oncology programs. This is multi-factorial but largely related to bad publicity about our specialty on highly trafficked public forums for medical students. Many of the potential RO applicants' concerns are based on the job market, board passing rates and residency expansion.... To combat this, we need to get into medical schools, both in the classroom and clinic, to increase exposure to RO and foster mentorship. Within our society, we should look at residency expansion and ensure we are training appropriate numbers of quality residents and not just adding bodies to help with clinical service"

Emma Fields

• Haha
  • Hmm
Ya not sure any of that really will moves the needle on anything, especially in the era of increasingly extreme hypofraction.
Exactly- for better or worse it further removes radiation doc from ongoing care and solidifies role as technician.
Also, nobody in right mind would describe radoncs as “fearless visionaries” so where does that leave us?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Exactly- for better or worse it further removes radiation doc from ongoing care and solidifies role as technician.
Also, nobody in right mind would describe radoncs as fearless visionary, where does that leave us?
Timid tadpoles!

Attachments

• 4C4C313F-CEA8-4C56-BD4C-82AD31CF9ADB.jpeg
    4C4C313F-CEA8-4C56-BD4C-82AD31CF9ADB.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 52
"Even if it may seem like a good idea to have an inpatient service, this would generally be a deterrent to many trainees and faculty alike who have not practiced general medicine for years. From a training perspective, having an inpatient service would add a great deal of instruction time and resources, It would be the death of small programs and put average sized programs in jeopardy, as they would lack the faculty to devote to the increased teaching demand while maintaining a thriving practice."

"We are now in our third year of a downtrend in number of applications to radiation oncology programs. This is multi-factorial but largely related to bad publicity about our specialty on highly trafficked public forums for medical students. Many of the potential RO applicants' concerns are based on the job market, board passing rates and residency expansion.... To combat this, we need to get into medical schools, both in the classroom and clinic, to increase exposure to RO and foster mentorship. Within our society, we should look at residency expansion and ensure we are training appropriate numbers of quality residents and not just adding bodies to help with clinical service"

Emma Fields
Lol ppl really think most college students don’t major in music/arts/history because they were not exposed enough or those subjects are not interesting? Who wants to deal with being jobless after 4-year education and 200k debt unless they are from an ultra-wealthy family? They do realize to be a radiation oncologist ppl need to invest tons of money and years of training? After all that, the only guarantee is that the field is interesting? They are really insulting medical students’ intelligence by avoiding the issue of job market

This is multi-factorial but largely related to bad publicity about our specialty on highly trafficked public forums for medical students.
"Largely related [to Internet forums]" says Dr. Fields? Oh brother. This is either horrible naivety or sheer dishonesty. And neither one is good. Rad oncs of the world: the Internet (and all its deplorable trolls and disinformation bots and anonymous accounts... probably from Russia?) is not "largely" responsible for your real, or imagined, problems.

Lol ppl really think most college students don’t major in music/arts/history because they were not exposed enough or those subjects are not interesting?
"I didn't become a painter. Why? I read on studentpainter dot com that sculptors made more money, were happier, and actually wind up painting a lot of their sculptures themselves. That cinched it for me."

Emma Fields
“Fostering mentorship”? I can’t see how any real “mentor” would encourage student to enter this field. Plus it is a total non sequitor how mentorship/outreach could combat lack of jobs/overexpansion etc.

Probably better to go back and finish IM residency than take this job. Just 2 more years anyway

A few months ago, a few driveby posters on here gave me a hard time when i stated the truth that rad oncs are in fact catfish. Now ASTRO rethorically asks are rad onc catfish bottomfeeders or “great visionaries”? You folks know the answer.

• Haha
A few months ago, a few driveby posters on here gave me a hard time when i stated the truth that rad oncs are in fact catfish. Now ASTRO rethorically asks are rad onc catfish bottomfeeders or “great visionaries”? You folks know the answer.
As the article mentions, it was Ed Halperin who talked about *his* experience being a bottom-feeding catfish. One of the biggest names in our field, traveling hat in hand from academic center to academic center, saying "can i haz dean?" and all the centers saying "nah bruh you rad onc you weak." It was eye-opening. And it should have been eye-opening for every rad onc in every ivory tower. You can climb to the peak of rad onc, and you'll still be near the bottom of medicine. Which makes efforts to tear each other down, and drag our specialty down (supply/demand, financially, etc), all the more depressing. Ed didn't realize it, but he became an SDN Deplorable in that editorial! Emma Fields... we don't need internet forums to talk about rad onc problems; Ed Halperin did it in print. It wasn't incoherent rambling or trolling. Unless he was lying, it was truth.

Agreed. Though I found it disappointing that Larry revealed himself to be squarely in the "RadOnc gets paid too much" camp based on comments at a visiting professorship. Would be nice if leaders in the field who did well for themselves over the past decades weren't set on forcing compensation downwards.
Visiting professorships? Wonder how well all those unc satellites pay.

Visiting professorships? Wonder how well all those unc satellites pay.
UNC between 10-25% MGMA, so, yeah. I don't have access to their books so could be some exceptions. For the med students, 25% AAMC (or MGMA) salary is pretty standard at academic places. And there's intense competition for these low (for the field) salaries.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Angry
The main issue is not the salary per say, but complete lack of jobs in many major metros. Both part and parcel of supply and demand, but my impression is that radonc would still be attractive to many at IM salaries as long as you could work in most major cities, but this is not the case.

UNC between 10-25% MGMA, so, yeah. I don't have access to their books so could be some exceptions. For the med students, 25% AAMC (or MGMA) salary is pretty standard at academic places. And there's intense competition for these low (for the field) salaries.
Total rumor, but other place that pay 10-20% of mgma include Tulane, wake, tufts/brown, and Michigan (although it is a real academic department). Getting a job in anyone of these places is highly competitive, and one could almost certainly equal the salary in family practice in same metro.

i'm sure there's at least one exception...

I have never seen academics offering MGMA rates. The difference between MGMA 25th percentile and AAMC 25th percentile assistant professor was $137k last year, and 25th percentile asst prof is still $50k less than MGMA 10th percentile. I have a friend who interviewed at a UNC satellite last year and the offer was approximately 25th percentile AAMC assistant professor to my recollection. That person had a decent private offer, and I told them they'd have to be crazy to take an academic satellite job with much lower salary potential and little to no academic potential. They made the right decision. But it's only by having these choices and letting underpaid clinical jobs go unfilled that we as docs have any negotiating power.

Low AAMC numbers are all I ever see out of academic places, main center or satellite. Some institutions make the argument that AAMC is total comp (i.e. including benefits like retirement) and hire at salaries even below 25th percentile for rank base, usually with an argument like "low cost of living" or "this is a competitive location" / "high cost of doing business here" (big cities and many suburbs).

Lower salaries make sense if you're light on the wRVUs and have academic support--i.e. traditional academics. But, more and more new grads are just staffing an empire of full-time clinicians at academic salaries. It is wildly profitable for these health systems, and as such it contributes to the rapid academic expansion. Higher reimbursement for big academic centers (as price transparency demonstrates) + lower clinical physician salaries (due to oversupply) = $$$$$$$$$$. In the private world, well entrenched rad oncs who no longer offer partnership are taking home something like 25-30% of their global collections, but in this bold new world you'll get about 10% of global--if even that (this is an educated guess since most will never show you the global numbers). How low can it get? The floor is the limit.

You can argue that academics are lazy docs, but target wRVUs are generally the same between academics and private as well, though there is some significant variability depending on the exact place and metrics used. The FPSC (one of the academic benchmarks) states 50th percentile 10.8k prof wRVUs per year for a full time doc (1.0 FTE), which is not reasonable since MGMA mean is 8-9k prof wRVUs depending on the year. Most of the academic places know this and will make you 0.8 FTE (10.8k * 0.8 = 8,640 or approximately MGMA mean) to claim that you get one day off a week. They then act like they're doing you a favor when they're really just setting the wRVU target back to a normal level.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
I have never seen academics offering MGMA rates. The difference between MGMA 25th percentile and AAMC 25th percentile assistant professor was $137k last year, and 25th percentile asst prof is still $50k less than MGMA 10th percentile. I have a friend who interviewed at a UNC satellite last year and the offer was approximately 25th percentile AAMC assistant professor to my recollection. That person had a decent private offer, and I told them they'd have to be crazy to take an academic satellite job with much lower salary potential and little to no academic potential. They made the right decision. But it's only by having these choices and letting underpaid clinical jobs go unfilled that we as docs have any negotiating power.

Low AAMC numbers are all I ever see out of academic places, main center or satellite. Some institutions make the argument that AAMC is total comp (i.e. including benefits like retirement) and hire at salaries even below 25th percentile for rank base, usually with an argument like "low cost of living" or "this is a competitive location" / "high cost of doing business here" (big cities and many suburbs).

Lower salaries make sense if you're light on the wRVUs and have academic support--i.e. traditional academics. But, more and more new grads are just staffing an empire of full-time clinicians at academic salaries. It is wildly profitable for these health systems, and as such it contributes to the rapid academic expansion. Higher reimbursement for big academic centers (as price transparency demonstrates) + lower clinical physician salaries (due to oversupply) = $$$$$$$$$$. In the private world, well entrenched rad oncs who no longer offer partnership are taking home something like 25-30% of their global collections, but in this bold new world you'll get about 10% of global--if even that (this is an educated guess since most will never show you the global numbers). How low can it get? The floor is the limit.

You can argue that academics are lazy docs, but target wRVUs are generally the same between academics and private as well, though there is some significant variability depending on the exact place and metrics used. The FPSC (one of the academic benchmarks) states 50th percentile 10.8k prof wRVUs per year for a full time doc (1.0 FTE), which is not reasonable since MGMA mean is 8-9k prof wRVUs depending on the year. Most of the academic places know this and will make you 0.8 FTE (10.8k * 0.8 = 8,640 or approximately MGMA mean) to claim that you get one day off a week. They then act like they're doing you a favor when they're really just setting the wRVU target back to a normal level.
I was referring to academic MGMA specifically

Love how in the ASTRONews these are the ads

View attachment 328237

Actually Durva and RT happen to be intimately related - remember MYSTIC (no RT) was actually huge negative trial for AZ in the lung cancer space and knocked out durva for Stage IV lung cancer.

PACIFIC on the other hand (all pts got RT) was a huge boon for them. So it sort of makes sense to have this particular ad. AZ is probably sponsoring the most RT/immuno combos trials of any of the major drug companies

I know we like to poo poo fellowships here, but I personally would love to see more of these
Why couldn’t this be done as a junior faculty or employed position?

Why couldn’t this be done as a junior faculty or employed position?

"All work will be conducted at an AstraZeneca research site and not at the fellow’s home Institution or any other academic site". Probably would be hard to swing as faculty

"All work will be conducted at an AstraZeneca research site and not at the fellow’s home Institution or any other academic site". Probably would be hard to swing as faculty
1)Sure, but then astra zeneca should hire the doc as an employee. Can’t see them doing this with a medical oncologist out of training- they would pay them an actual salary?