Quantitative Reasoning Question Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Rook

Hey Guys,
I was hoping someone could help me figure this out:
Question:
A construction firm receives an important contract and
hires 15 temporary workers in addition to its full-time
staff. If the entire full-time staff of 25 could complete
the job in five months, and if temporary workers work
5/6 as fast as full-time workers, how much time will
be saved by hiring the additional workers? :confused:

I am not looking for an answer but more of an explanation of how to get to the answer. Thanks so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Rook said:
Hey Guys,
I was hoping someone could help me figure this out:
Question:
A construction firm receives an important contract and
hires 15 temporary workers in addition to its full-time
staff. If the entire full-time staff of 25 could complete
the job in five months, and if temporary workers work
5/6 as fast as full-time workers, how much time will
be saved by hiring the additional workers? :confused:

I am not looking for an answer but more of an explanation of how to get to the answer. Thanks so much!! :)

First
You have 25 Original workers that can complete the "X" amount of work in 5 months. Now you added 15 more workers that can do "X" amount of work in 5/6 the time it takes for the original workers.

5/6(15) will the amount of temporary workers that you would have if they worked the same as original workers.

Now add the original and the new Temporary workers together:
25 + 5/6(15) = 37.5 workers

So, now you have 37.5 workers who does the same job "X" in same time (5 mths) instead of 25 workers who also took 5 months.
Now you find out how fast will the job be done if you had 37.5 workers instead of 25, So: 37.5/25 = 1.5.

1.5 basically means that Job "X" is done 1.5 as fast as the orginal in 5 months. you can put it into equation form: 1.5X = 5

Solve for X. You get X = 5/1.5, which is the same as 5*(2/3).
SImplifing it will give you 10/3. That basically means thats howmuch time it will take if there were 37.5 workers instead of 25

So, Now you minus that number from 5. You get 5-(10/3) = 5/3 or 1 2/3.

Hope this helps!!

Lonely Sol said:
First
You have 25 Original workers that can complete the "X" amount of work in 5 months. Now you added 15 more workers that can do "X" amount of work in 5/6 the time it takes for the original workers.

5/6(15) will the amount of temporary workers that you would have if they worked the same as original workers.

Now add the original and the new Temporary workers together:
25 + 5/6(15) = 37.5 workers

So, now you have 37.5 workers who does the same job "X" in same time (5 mths) instead of 25 workers who also took 5 months.
Now you find out how fast will the jobe be done if you had 37.5 workers instead of 5, So: 37.5/25 = 1.5.

1.5 basically means that Job "X" is done 1.5 as fast as the orginal in 5 months. you can put it into equation form: 1.5X = 5

Solve for X. You get X = 5/1.5, which is the same as 5*(2/3).
SImplifing it will give you 10/3. That basically means thats howmuch time it will take if there were 37.5 workers instead of 25

So, Now you minus that number from 5. You get 5-(10/3) = 5/3 or 1 2/3.

Hope this helps!!

Lonely Sol!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had the hardest time visualizing this but you broke it down really well...(u should consider tutoring!!)
Take care!!
Rook

Rook said:
Lonely Sol!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had the hardest time visualizing this but you broke it down really well...(u should consider tutoring!!)
Take care!!
Rook

I am glad it helped you!!