Queens University, Kingston Ontario: Are These Pre-Req's Odd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benyjets23

Adventuring MD Wannabe
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked at Queens University in Kingston Ontario. I have been looking at Med schools with the assumption that with a BSN I will need to do a post-bac program. However At Queens the course work seems oddly easy to attain, even for a BSN student. The demand is this:

- At least 3 years University level education (No suprise)
- TOTAL GPA: 3.68 (No suprise)
- TOTAL GPA FOR LAST 2 YEARS: 3.78 (No suprise)
- MCAT: 32 (No suprise)

What suprises me is the course expectations:

- 1 full University Credit each in Biological sciences, physical sciences and Humanities OR Social Sciences

Is this rather odd? It seems that on the surface that I should be able to achieve the course pre-reqs with my BSN or I'm I missing something?

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

benyjets23 said:
It seems that on the surface that I should be able to achieve the course pre-reqs with my BSN or I'm I missing something?

Ben
Inquire, you may indeed be able to achieve them. Many Canadian schools have few or limited course prereqs. A few even have none, but they "evaluate the depth and breadth of your coursework" in their app. process. Some have some weird combinations (ex: only english and biochem for UMan). If you can get in without a post-bac, go for it! (I thought there were no post-bac programs in Canada?) And congratulations on that nursing GPA, if so. :)

(You may want to retake a few classes to prep for the MCAT though.)

Trustwomen,

Sorry If I was not clear, the GPA's of 3.68 and 3.78 is what the school wants. I am just beginning my BSN and hence don't have a GPA. I am merely considering medical school as a future possibility.

About the post-bac's. I have not noticed any in Canada. Even if I don't need them, I will still consider going because A.) Science is science in Canada or the USA and B.) I would feel the need to take them in order to get the depth of knowledge needed for the MCAT and to give me confidence that I can do Medical school.

Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
You should bear in mind that a lot of the Canadian schools list requirements that are much less than what their average entering applicant actually has. Like McMaster listing a 3.0 GPA, when their average matriculant has 3.8 or higher.

MeowMix said:
You should bear in mind that a lot of the Canadian schools list requirements that are much less than what their average entering applicant actually has. Like McMaster listing a 3.0 GPA, when their average matriculant has 3.8 or higher.

Last year the average matriculant at McMaster had 3.88, followed by UT with 3.87. Canadian schools tend to list very minimal requirements because there are usually a few that get in each year who appear to be born physicians, but don't have the strongest academic record. This process still gives them a chance, but please not that this only happens to a few students each year.