ques. about research for ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EclecticMind

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of research would be reasonable yet advantageous for someone possibly interested in going into ortho? More than that, when do people usually do this research (2nd year, 3rd...)??
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda fell right into a great situation. Last year I had a basketball injury (posterior dislocation of right elbow coupled with radial head fracture). The radial head fracture required surgery and so I got to know some of the residents and an attending through that. Basically, I told the surgeon that some of my friends were interested in watching the surgery and he agreed to let three of them watch. He gave me mad props after the surgery for being so interested in others and letting them have the opportunity to learn through me. I played it off as being something I would want them to do for me and therefore felt like I should do it for them. Now he spends about 15-20 minutes every time I have an appointment just talking to me about golf and various other things in his life. He is pretty cool. Now this year, I was offered an elective in orthopaedic surgery, basically just helping someone out with the writing phase since I don't have more time to commit than that. Anyway, I was chosen by the residency director for our school's ortho program as the person he wanted to help him. So, now through circumstance, one of the attendings really likes me and the residency director hand-picked me to work on his project so I am assuming he sees something he likes. I used to think general surgery would be better for me, but I am getting really interested in ortho at this point.

I guess my point is to break your arm really bad and need surgery and get to know someone through that. Or maybe that is bad advice....I can't say for sure.

reading back through,i realize i did not answer your question. why don't you check with the ortho department at your school and see if they have some projects you can help on. this would give you relevant research and let you get to know your local ortho attendings. both should go a long way in helping you get into an ortho program, whether it is the one at your school or one elsewhere.

as for when, i am a 2nd year now and i am getting my feet wet so that if i don't have time to do any 3rd year then at least i will still have something to fall back on.