Ques about science & non-science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcabc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a question about the AMCAS science and non-science GPA. I have two classes that are kinda ambigious and can be placed in either science or non-science if I wish. Placing them in non-science makes my Science GPA = 3.17 and NS GPA = 2.88. Placing these classes in the Science Category makes my GPA for Science = 3.08 and non-science =3.1.

Now before you tell me not to apply based on numbers, can you JUST ANSWER my question about whether it is better to have a science GPA that is almost 3.2, or whether it is better to have both of them at least be above a 3?

And for those who wanted to tell me i am gonna fail in life (i just finished reading what you did to the guy with the 2.9GPA), I know what I am doing, and I also have a masters degree with a better GPA, and excellent medical work experience (not only volunteer).

Thank You :)

Members don't see this ad.

Having a higher science than non science GPA is definitely better than the converse. Make sure you can justify whatever category into which you place the non-science class, because AMCAS can change them if you've obviously miscategorized.

the only thing to consider is that some schools actually explicitly state that they have cut-offs at an overall GPA of 3.0 (USF and Miami are two of these I can think of off the top of my head). Therefore, I would say put in non-science so that you can ensure consideration of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
how many classes have you taken in your undergrad? it seems odd that 2 classes would make such a difference in your science and non-science GPA.

<P>nonetheless, i think it's better to have your GPA above 3.0 in both cases. even though, in the end, AMCAS could re-classify the 2 classes if they feel they were placed in the wrong categories.

Anybody else out there with advice?

I just am wondering what those 2 classes are-and how likely AMCAS will allow them to be in Sci or not. . .
since ultimately they will make the final determination---better to be prepared than suprised I would think.