Question about a Genetics class I'm taking.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurocentric

Очень приятно! :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Genetics in a couple of weeks, and I was told by someone who used to work for the pre-med committee for my school that it is one of the classes I need to get an A in, or I can kiss my medical school career goodbye. This class and Orgo I need As in. Now, I certainly am not going to slack on these classes, nor was I expecting to, but I was curious if the A is really the end all be all. I'd hate for that to be the case. I live in Texas, if that helps. I'm not too knowledgeable on Texas Med School requirements.

Whether it is or isn't anyway, anyone have any tips for the class? I've heard it's just hardcore memorization, but I wanted to get an opinion from the masses.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a ridiculous claim. Genetics isn't a requirement at most medical schools, although it is required by a few in TX (TCOM comes to mind). Obviously, you want to do well in it, but that goes for all of your courses. There is no one course that decides your fate.

There are certain classes that are "predictors" about how you might do in medical school and in your future career as a physician...but that doesn't mean that a grade below an A means you won't get into any school. Naturally, you need to do as well as you can in all the courses you take. Genetics is one of the classes that, like anatomy/physiology/statistics/etc, is recommended but not required by most schools. If you find yourself struggling in the course a couple weeks in, drop it and take some other upper-level science class instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a ridiculous claim. Genetics isn't a requirement at most medical schools, although it is required by a few in TX (TCOM comes to mind). Obviously, you want to do well in it, but that goes for all of your courses. There is no one course that decides your fate.

See, that's what I thought, but considering this guy is a mentor of mine and everything, I didn't want to be like, "No, you're ****ting me." But it seemed odd to me that one or two classes could decide for me whether or not I could get into medical school.

There are certain classes that are "predictors" about how you might do in medical school and in your future career as a physician...but that doesn't mean that a grade below an A means you won't get into any school. Naturally, you need to do as well as you can in all the courses you take. Genetics is one of the classes that, like anatomy/physiology/statistics/etc, is recommended but not required by most schools. If you find yourself struggling in the course a couple weeks in, drop it and take some other upper-level science class instead.

Sounds good. I definitely want to work hard on this course - and my other courses - to make sure that I do well. Last semester I had some issues - medical and personal - and ended up getting a C in Bio 2. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

Some schools require genetics. But I don't think you necessarily have to have an A. I mean if you make a B it isn't going to keep you out of medical school. Good luck and hope you make an A anyways!:D

If you did well in the genetics portion of bio, then the actual genetics class won't be too bad. If you got a C in Bio 2 at your school, and that class happened to have the watered-down genetics section, then make sure you have those foundations down before proceeding.

Some schools require genetics. But I don't think you necessarily have to have an A. I mean if you make a B it isn't going to keep you out of medical school. Good luck and hope you make an A anyways!:D

Thanks! I can see that the general consensus is to do well, but not to freak out if a B is given as a final grade. I strive for that A, but I need to be realistic sometimes. :)

If you did well in the genetics portion of bio, then the actual genetics class won't be too bad. If you got a C in Bio 2 at your school, and that class happened to have the watered-down genetics section, then make sure you have those foundations down before proceeding.

There wasn't really any genetics in my Bio 2 class. It seemed like he wanted it to be an A&P class, except we spent a lot of time talking about plants and bugs before humans. I think that's what really tripped me up. My professor knew his stuff.. but he talked a lot more about animals, bugs and plants. As it was, he made a whole lecture talking about evolution, and it screwed up our tests dates on the syllabus, so many students who were looking to see how they did on the second exam before deciding if they needed to drop, couldn't. I dunno; I wasn't a fan of his class at the end of it. Definitely regretted taking him.

Ahh okay...well then you'll probably be fine. And I know what you mean, I effing hate plants.

See, that's what I thought, but considering this guy is a mentor of mine and everything, I didn't want to be like, "No, you're ****ting me." But it seemed odd to me that one or two classes could decide for me whether or not I could get into medical school.

Sounds good. I definitely want to work hard on this course - and my other courses - to make sure that I do well. Last semester I had some issues - medical and personal - and ended up getting a C in Bio 2. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

Does this mentor know that you got a C in bio? If so, it might not be so much that he thinks you are sunk with one B as it is that he believes that many adcoms could have doubts about an applicant with Bs and Cs in bio. I'm not saying he's right, but maybe it's his way of trying to motivate you?

Does this mentor know that you got a C in bio? If so, it might not be so much that he thinks you are sunk with one B as it is that he believes that many adcoms could have doubts about an applicant with Bs and Cs in bio. I'm not saying he's right, but maybe it's his way of trying to motivate you?

No, he didn't know beforehand. Personally, the C both makes me mad and motivates me, considering I tried my hardest in that class, and I know I wasn't the only student who struggled in that class with that specific professor.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Genetics, at least at my school, was less memorization and more problem-solving and analysis. Figuring out a trihybrid cross on an exam is not very fun.

The genetics courses at my school seem to emphasize the understanding of and application of concepts instead of memorization. Study for the class like you would study for a maths, physical chem, or physics course: practice, practice, practice. :)

The genetics courses at my school seem to emphasize the understanding of and application of concepts instead of memorization. Study for the class like you would study for a maths, physical chem, or physics course: practice, practice, practice. :)

:thumbup: Thanks for the tip!!

When I took Genetics I read all the chapters that were assigned ( yes I woke up 4 am numerous times to get it done) , do the practice problem and check answers with sol'n manuel and use the online website......
but I got the A.

Genetics is important. You'll get a nice dose of it in your med school biochem. It just shows you can handle hard coursework.

Whether it is or isn't anyway, anyone have any tips for the class? I've heard it's just hardcore memorization, but I wanted to get an opinion from the masses.

My genetics TA emphasized that studying for genetics is more like studying for how to take the test. You need to familiarize yourself with how the material will be applied and how the professor likes to phrase questions, which = lots and lots of problem sets (preferably the ones written by the prof, if he/she does such a thing).

And don't worry about not learning a lot of genetics in genbio. There was a 3 year gap between my genbio and genetics classes and I did great :)

When I took Genetics I read all the chapters that were assigned ( yes I woke up 4 am numerous times to get it done) , do the practice problem and check answers with sol'n manuel and use the online website......
but I got the A.

Sounds like fun! I'll be taking the course seriously, though, definitely.

Genetics is important. You'll get a nice dose of it in your med school biochem. It just shows you can handle hard coursework.

Yet another weeder class :) I'll just keep reminding myself that the class is relevant.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk