question about acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimimi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been blessed with several acceptances from schools. some of these schools have had me write letters of interest saying that i will be attending the school next fall. i have written more than one of these, and i don't feel that its right. i am waiting on financial aid offers before i make my final decision, which is why i am holding these acceptances. is this proper protocol, or should i be deferring my acceptances and not right out accepting them? any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

alright great, i just don't want may 15th to come around and realize i have a binding contract saying i must attend every school i write a letter to.

Members don't see this ad :)
lucky :annoyed:

congrats

wait.. you wrote LOI's to a bunch of places pre acceptance i take it? may i ask why? i hope you didnt say "If accepted, i will attend your school" because that is a pretty dick move to write that to more than one.. sorry, not trying to be mean.

wait.. you wrote LOI's to a bunch of places pre acceptance i take it? may i ask why? i hope you didnt say "If accepted, i will attend your school" because that is a pretty dick move to write that to more than one.. sorry, not trying to be mean.

s/he meant that the acceptance letters came with a statement at the end saying that the applicant has to write that they will attend the school... a lot of acceptance letters are like that... you write a sentence saying you're coming, you sign it, and then you pay the deposit... it's nonbinding pre-May 15...

OP, you're fine, everyone does that, congrats!:luck:

phospho is correct--that is why i did it. all of the schools that i have accepted/written letters to, i would say all are on an even playing ground. i would go to any of them, so really the money factor is the big tipper. schools that have accepted me that i would not go to i have respectfully declined. ar, i understand your comment, but that is not my intention. i'm writing these letters because the school requires it, and not because im looking for an admit.

Yeah, you're doing it right. The school gives you an offer of admission, which you accept. That's how they know to put on on the roster and hold your seat. You apply, they offer, you accept. This is exactly how the game is played.

Later this spring you'll have to down-select to one seat and tell the other programs that you will not be attending after all. The schools are prepared for a number of accepted students to withdraw at this time, which is why they have an alternate list.

Congrats and good luck!

alright great, i just don't want may 15th to come around and realize i have a binding contract saying i must attend every school i write a letter to.

You don't have a "binding contract" until you formally register for classes and pay your tuition. The worst that can happen is that you lose any deposit money you might have paid to hold your seat at a particular school. Some schools can have a steep fee for this privilege which may or may not be refundable. Other than that, you are not bound by any contracts. It's just good for others who are waitlisted if your drop the schools that you know for sure you are not going to attend. Some people can narrow down to two or three top choices and let the others go.