Question about all the Retal pharmacies.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousPharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of all the retail chain pharmacies: Walgreens, Osco, CVS, Dominick's, Target, K-mart, Wal-mart, Sam's Club, can anyone provide info. on starting pay for pharmacist out of school (with experience/no experience)???? Is there a chain that is generally on the high end and one that is on the low end in regards to pay????

Also, which chains are generally more busier and which chains are slower???
I basically, want to find out which retail stores will have the lowest scripts to fill per day and be the easiest to work at??

My ideal situation out of school would be working at a retail chain that is slow and still make $100,000 per year. Is this situation realistic for a new PharmD grad???

Members don't see this ad.

CuriousPharmD said:
Out of all the retail chain pharmacies: Walgreens, Osco, CVS, Dominick's, Target, K-mart, Wal-mart, Sam's Club, can anyone provide info. on starting pay for pharmacist out of school (with experience/no experience)???? Is there a chain that is generally on the high end and one that is on the low end in regards to pay????

I basically, want to find out which retail stores will have the lowest scripts to fill per day and be the easiest to work at??

My ideal situation out of school would be working at a retail chain that is slow and still make $100,000 per year. Is this situation realistic for a new PharmD grad???

100k for retail pharmacy in illinois is a reality, even for new grads. I just graduated from UIC COP this year and while I have been a WAG employee for the past 5 years in the pharmacy, my contract was for 104k in Peoria. This is the starting rate for pharmacists in the peoria area for WAG.

Not judging you or anything but I wouldn't get too caught up in script counts and how slow a store is. You could do 1000 scripts a day and if you have enough competent techs, then its not that big of a deal. While I have only worked for walgreens, I did do a rotation for dominicks in Gurnee and I can say that if you interview at a pharmacy that runs the PDX computer system...run away. I think dominicks and target use that system and its horrible. Takes more time to enter a script on that crappy DOS based system than to fill 20 at a walgreens or similar system pharmacy. Just my opinion though.

pharmdgto said:
100k for retail pharmacy in illinois is a reality, even for new grads. I just graduated from UIC COP this year and while I have been a WAG employee for the past 5 years in the pharmacy, my contract was for 104k in Peoria. This is the starting rate for pharmacists in the peoria area for WAG.

Not judging you or anything but I wouldn't get too caught up in script counts and how slow a store is. You could do 1000 scripts a day and if you have enough competent techs, then its not that big of a deal. While I have only worked for walgreens, I did do a rotation for dominicks in Gurnee and I can say that if you interview at a pharmacy that runs the PDX computer system...run away. I think dominicks and target use that system and its horrible. Takes more time to enter a script on that crappy DOS based system than to fill 20 at a walgreens or similar system pharmacy. Just my opinion though.

I take it you will find out which systems are easy to use and which systems are more difficult to use when you do your rotations at different places. Am I right???

Members don't see this ad :)
CuriousPharmD said:

I think in the Chicago area, CVS is currently paying the highest. They are all very similar. Stores like Walgreens have higher script volume but generally have more techs and pharmacists working at one time as opposed to a store like Dominick's which has a lower script volume but only 1 pharmacist and maybe a tech at a time.

I'm from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in Minnesota, and my friend recently got a starting pharmacist job offer from Walgreen's for $108,000. As for which chains are busier, I'm not really sure. The Walgreen's here does about the same amount of business as the CVS down the road. I think it might depend somewhat on location, like what kind of community the store serves. Also, the Walgreen's that I work at doesn't do nearly as much business as the 24-hour Walgreen's a few minutes away, so that might be a factor, too.

CuriousPharmD said:
I take it you will find out which systems are easy to use and which systems are more difficult to use when you do your rotations at different places. Am I right???

Not, necessarily. At UF, we only have one 4 week rotation of retail. They call it "community practice". I'll be doing mine at Target in September.

More to the point......What is the easiest, least stressful pharmacy job out there, that you can still earn 100k/year?????

CuriousPharmD said:
More to the point......What is the easiest, least stressful pharmacy job out there, that you can still earn 100k/year?????

Director of Pharmacy for a medium size hospital. :smuggrin:

CuriousPharmD said:

If it were that easy...I am fairly certain those jobs are already taken. :D

everyone wants a job...but nobody wants to work.

ZpackSux said:
everyone wants a job...but nobody wants to work.

That sounds about right. :laugh: