Question about AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagodoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing my prereqs while in a masters program. i am taking gen chem 1 and 2 and physics 1 and 2 over the summer. Is it ok to apply with just my gpa and my masters gpa and then send the pre reqs at the end of the summer when it is available? Are med schools ok with having them done as long as they are complete by marticulation? I want to apply as early as possible but I am finishing pre reqs by August and taking the MCAT in August. SO everything will be complete by Sept except for orgo which will be done by Jan. I know its crammed by this is the only way.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. As long as they're scheduled to be completed prior to matriculation, you're all set.

-z

One more question.... can't find it in the search

I'm taking the MCAT May 31 = what's the process for AMCAS if I submit before my test scores come back?

Thx.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm taking the MCAT May 31 = what's the process for AMCAS if I submit before my test scores come back?

Thx.

There's a box in the test scores section of AMCAS that you can check showing that you'll be taking a future MCAT. Med schools will hold your application from review until they receive the scores (which AMCAS will do automatically once the scores come out).

Thx.
do everything as normal like everyone else. the AMCAS will get your scores & complete your file when they're graded. no big deal.

Does AMCAS send out the MCAT scores or do you designate what schools you want to send them to when you take the test?

Geez, I've been focusing so much on the actual studying that I never gave much thought to the AMCAS portion of the application! :scared:

I am doing my prereqs while in a masters program. i am taking gen chem 1 and 2 and physics 1 and 2 over the summer. Is it ok to apply with just my gpa and my masters gpa and then send the pre reqs at the end of the summer when it is available? Are med schools ok with having them done as long as they are complete by marticulation? I want to apply as early as possible but I am finishing pre reqs by August and taking the MCAT in August. SO everything will be complete by Sept except for orgo which will be done by Jan. I know its crammed by this is the only way.

Sounds like you need to slow it down, buddy. Seriously.

Does AMCAS send out the MCAT scores or do you designate what schools you want to send them to when you take the test?

Geez, I've been focusing so much on the actual studying that I never gave much thought to the AMCAS portion of the application! :scared:

Scores will be provided to all schools you apply to via AMCAS.

So your AMCAS application will be sent to the schools, they just may not give a 2ndary without an MCAT score...

(Just want to be clear on this!!!! And thanks for bearing with me here!)

So your AMCAS application will be sent to the schools, they just may not give a 2ndary without an MCAT score...

(Just want to be clear on this!!!! And thanks for bearing with me here!)

:thumbup:

If you don't have scores by the time your submit your application, you'll see a box where you can designate that your MCAT is en route so the schools know to wait to evaluate your app.

As fas as secondaries, I would say the majority of schools send secondaries automatically though. You don't need to pass a screening (there are exceptions... UC's, Vandy, etc.).

Sounds like you need to slow it down, buddy. Seriously.
True. I was on a very similar schedule last summer, and guess what - I cancelled my MCAT, withdrew from my courses, and never applied. Best thing I ever did! I'm now on a track to an A in 2 of the 3 classes I had withdrawn from and trust me, this time I was MUCH better prepared for the MCAT than back in August. The extra year off was worth being able to be more competitive AND not ending up in the ER with a nervous breakdown as I did last summer.

True. I was on a very similar schedule last summer, and guess what - I cancelled my MCAT, withdrew from my courses, and never applied. Best thing I ever did! I'm now on a track to an A in 2 of the 3 classes I had withdrawn from and trust me, this time I was MUCH better prepared for the MCAT than back in August. The extra year off was worth being able to be more competitive AND not end up in the ER with a nervous breakdown as I did last summer.

Yeah.. Solid advice. Last year, I was taking Orgo and Linear Algebra while working 50-60 hours a week. And I wanted to take the April MCAT so I could apply for admission this year. Well guess what.. I decided to screw the MCAT and wait until August. It kept both my MCAT and final undergrad classes/prereq from being affected by each other. I spent all summer preparing for the MCAT (still working ridiculous hours) and really gave it my best shot in August. It worked out well. I'm applying broadly and early this year with a MUCH more solid application.

As much as you may hate to wait another year, it's not a race. It's far better to get there a year later than risk severely damaging your chances.

Thx.

I posted a response to a similar question about the August MCAT. For what little bit is relevant, you can read it here.

Good luck on the MCAT.