Question about application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hinglish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm kind of new to the whole pre-med process (if you couldn't tell from my previous posts heh). Welp, I'm actually doing it, and I'm taking my first steps towards applying to medical school. I just started taking general chemistry (after graduating with a degree in English) and while walking around the department I saw that applications to medical school are due in June. So, that got me thinking, say a person is accepted, are they expected to start that August or next August? I know this sounds kind of stupid, but it seems like and awfully fast process (given interviews would be sometime in the summer).

Members don't see this ad.

The primary application (called the AMCAS) opens in June for the class entering the following August. Applying is a year-long process.

The application actually opens in May, but you can submit it starting in June. Throughout the rest of the summer, through January or so, secondary applications are sent out. Generally September through March is interview season. You can be accepted started October 15th. By May 15th, if you hold more than one acceptance, you have to withdraw from all but one school. You generally start in July or August.