Question about course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealityCheck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well this coming Monday(March 5th) I will be going to my adviser to choose my courses for next semester. I wanted to know if you all think it's a bad idea to take three courses that are labs in one semester? Ex: Bio, Chem, and Phys. Is that academic suicide, or is it ok? Another thing to consider, is that at my school, I'm not sure if they do this in other schools, basically they divide the course into three sections: (1) Lecture (2) Lab (3) Recitation, which is basically a class that is meant to be a help session/review.

And on a side note, my motivation for taking these many courses is because I'm a Junior transfer which means that I'm supposed to "graduate" in '08 but because I transfered(and a lot of credits didn't transfer) I'm so far behind in my courses and credit required for graduation, that it will take me a few years to graduate. Do you think that's something I shouldn't pay any attention too?

Thoughtful advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well this coming Monday(March 5th) I will be going to my adviser to choose my courses for next semester. I wanted to know if you all think it's a bad idea to take three courses that are labs in one semester? Ex: Bio, Chem, and Phys. Is that academic suicide, or is it ok? Another thing to consider, is that at my school, I'm not sure if they do this in other schools, basically they divide the course into three sections: (1) Lecture (2) Lab (3) Recitation, which is basically a class that is meant to be a help session/review.

And on a side note, my motivation for taking these many courses is because I'm a Junior transfer which means that I'm supposed to "graduate" in '08 but because I transfered(and a lot of credits didn't transfer) I'm so far behind in my courses and credit required for graduation, that it will take me a few years to graduate. Do you think that's something I shouldn't pay any attention too?

Thoughtful advice would be appreciated.

Nobody on here will be able to tell you what your capacity for taking these classes is. The worst I ever took was Organic + Physics + Biochem, and as you can imagine it was tough but doable. Also, if you haven't found out already I can tell you community college courses are easier than university courses, so you may not be able to depend on what you've been able to carry in the past. Anyway, my advice is to give it a shot, give these classes all you've got and see where you're at by the drop deadline. Don't hesitate to get out of there if you make a bunch of Cs on the first series or two of exams. And be sure to round out the rest of your schedule with a super-easy class or two, which will serve both to let you focus on the tougher classes and keep you in full-time status should you need to drop something.

And be sure to round out the rest of your schedule with a super-easy class or two, which will serve both to let you focus on the tougher classes and keep you in full-time status should you need to drop something.

What's to round out? At my school, sciences with labs like the 3 he mentioned are 5 credit hours each, and in reality are about 6 or 7 hours each of combined lecture, lab, and discussion (recitation). Taking any super-easy classes on top of that may not be a good idea, because super-easy can still require a significant amount of one's time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similiar situation. JUnior and transferred into a university. I took 5 classes and had to drop one because the work load was too much. The work load in my CC was cake compared to a university. i would advice to lighten up on the first semester until you get used to the whole university atmosphere. better to finish late with a GOOD gpa then to finish early with a BAG gpa.

i think it's too much. but, that's just me. will you be studying for your mcat too?