Question about demand of Child/adolescent psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebirdie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hola,
Just wondering...I've read on here many times that there is a huge demand for C/A psychiatrists. I know it's difficult to predict, but do you think this demand will still be there 5-10 years from now?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluebirdie said:
Hola,
Just wondering...I've read on here many times that there is a huge demand for C/A psychiatrists. I know it's difficult to predict, but do you think this demand will still be there 5-10 years from now?

through discussions with residents, i heard that by 2020 the supply of c/a psychs will = the demand. not sure on the source, though.

Just because you're boarded in child and adolescent doesn't mean you need to exclusively see childs and adolescents, right? ;)

I can't imagine it would be a BAD idea to go for this fellowship if you're interested in it and willing to spend an extra year (or two).

Big pharma will continually expand the psychotropic market to include children and adolescents. Brooke Molina of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has been following a large cohort of children with ADHD. Longitudinal data from her work suggests that kids who take stimulant medications during childhood end up stimulant abusers (e.g., methamphetamine) in young adulthood. So by medicating kids with ADHD when they're young, you're creating a patient base that requires medication and psychiatric intervention for the duration of their lives. This is only ADHD. Big pharma is currently exploring other ways to medicalize social problems of children -- social phobia, oppositional defiant disorder.

Bottom line: it's a great time to be a child/adolescent psychiatrist. Waiting lists at some clinics are more than six months.