Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Application Thread 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychguy12345

Reaction score
Thought I'd make a thread for the 23-24 CAP fellowship cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Haven't been around these parts in a few years:p How is everyone feeling going in to this application cycle? As someone who didn't match into residency, I'm pretty antsy despite all the reassurances I've received from faculty and friends.

Hey guys! Haven't been around these parts in a few years:p How is everyone feeling going in to this application cycle? As someone who didn't match into residency, I'm pretty antsy despite all the reassurances I've received from faculty and friends.
Hey! I dont know how to feel lol. I as well have gotten reassurances, but dont want get my hopes up! How many programs does everyone plan on applying too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I dont know how to feel lol. I as well have gotten reassurances, but dont want get my hopes up! How many programs does everyone plan on applying too?
Friends from my program who applied last year recommended I do 20 to be on the safe side. Of course “safe” totally depends on which programs you’re applying to! Coming from a newish community program, I feel pretty overwhelmed by the proportion of university programs vs community on my list.

Good Luck :clap:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! Been a lot of years since I have checked in on SDN but now post MD and in my 4th year of psych residency and applying for CAP fellowship along with the rest of you. I ended up at my first choice program for residency but it's a newer community program as well. Do you think that makes me less competitive? I am Chief Resident if that helps. Also, has everyone had their recommendation letters submitted yet? My writers are taking their sweet time and it's making me nervous.

Hello everyone! Been a lot of years since I have checked in on SDN but now post MD and in my 4th year of psych residency and applying for CAP fellowship along with the rest of you. I ended up at my first choice program for residency but it's a newer community program as well. Do you think that makes me less competitive? I am Chief Resident if that helps. Also, has everyone had their recommendation letters submitted yet? My writers are taking their sweet time and it's making me nervous.
Total hearsay, but I don’t think that stuff matters as much for fellowship. I’m at a community program as well, and none of my faculty (mostly trained at big academic centers) seem to think it’s a consideration. If anything, being at a big name program might be an advantage, but that doesn’t necessarily mean not being from one is a disadvantage. What I’ve read and heard makes me think it’s just about highlighting things that make you stand out. Being chief is definitely something to differentiate you positively!

Total hearsay, but I don’t think that stuff matters as much for fellowship. I’m at a community program as well, and none of my faculty (mostly trained at big academic centers) seem to think it’s a consideration. If anything, being at a big name program might be an advantage, but that doesn’t necessarily mean not being from one is a disadvantage. What I’ve read and heard makes me think it’s just about highlighting things that make you stand out. Being chief is definitely something to differentiate you positively!
Thanks risperdoll. I don't think I am going to apply to more than 10 programs in the end in cities I am willing to live in for two years and perhaps build a practice long term. I am married so where my husband is willing to go is also a consideration as he graciously followed me to another state for the four years of residency.

Thanks risperdoll. I don't think I am going to apply to more than 10 programs in the end in cities I am willing to live in for two years and perhaps build a practice long term. I am married so where my husband is willing to go is also a consideration as he graciously followed me to another state for the four years of residency.
In the exact same situation! I’m aiming for 20 programs and only a PGY-3, but otherwise this comment could have been written by me. Best of luck to you and your husband:giggle:

In the 2023 general psychiatry match, there were 2164 positions offered and 21 unfilled after the initial match, a fill rate of 99%. This fill rate has been consistent now for several years, meaning that if you do not match psychiatry your chances of securing a psych position in SOAP is very low and often making it a choice of not doing psychiatry or committing to another application cycle.

In the 2023 child psychiatry match, there were 404 positions offered and 77 unfilled, a fill rate of 82%, meaning that an unmatched applicant can still easily secure themselves a position with some emails and a little networking.

It's really not at all a comparable experience and y'all will be fine.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hey all!

Current PGY-4 CAP Fellow here! Just started at Rutgers RWJ this month. I’ve always loved giving reassurance to applicants during residency and wanna continue it now that I’m a fellow (finally getting closer to the dream lol). Would be happy to answer questions. And I hope to see you guys on interview day if you’re considering NJ. ♥️ We just started a instagram if you wanna connect on there: rutgersrwjmschildpsych. It’ll be me responding haha. Have an awesome application season!!✨

Hi all, ERAS has really changed since I last looked at it for residency. Do you guys know if a) programs are expecting our full CVs to be emailed separately since there's no way to upload a CV to ERAS anymore and b) is the 10 experiences section meant to include hobbies/personal interests as well, or is it a waste to spend one of those slots for personal interests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, ERAS has really changed since I last looked at it for residency. Do you guys know if a) programs are expecting our full CVs to be emailed separately since there's no way to upload a CV to ERAS anymore and b) is the 10 experiences section meant to include hobbies/personal interests as well, or is it a waste to spend one of those slots for personal interests?
From what I can recall when I applied to residency in 2021, the CV is just generated by what you input in the different areas of the application. I am also struggling with the 10 experiences section since that is new to me!

What's the importance of submitting on opening day? I may not be ready for release on July 19th. I am still awaiting some LOR's and revising PS.

Also behind the ball as I'm still undecided. I initially entered psych thinking I was going to do C&A, but then plans changed through residency and did not find it that appealing. We also did not have much experience in child, but am getting more with outpatient schedules. My thoughts are to apply to 3-5 high interest residencies in desirable locations I would like to practice. If I get one, great! If not then I will be fine completing residency where I am at. I know not the best response in applying for a fellowship, but am still interested just not sure how interested and don't want to miss out on an opportunity that was my desired practice a couple of years ago. Is this a fair strategy?

And again, does a late submit hurt my chances that much? If anything it would be in early August.

From what I can recall when I applied to residency in 2021, the CV is just generated by what you input in the different areas of the application. I am also struggling with the 10 experiences section since that is new to me!
Yes! Looking at my application from last year. Whatever I put in the experience section automatically populated into the “CV.” The CV also auto-populates the rest of the stuff u input to make a little summary document of ur application basically. Idk if they changed the experience section, but last year it had u classify the experience in various categories (like volunteer, research, etc) and then input like hours per week or ur title/position. I basically took the CV I made from residency and entered into in the experiences. Except for publications. There was a separate section for that.

What's the importance of submitting on opening day? I may not be ready for release on July 19th. I am still awaiting some LOR's and revising PS.

Also behind the ball as I'm still undecided. I initially entered psych thinking I was going to do C&A, but then plans changed through residency and did not find it that appealing. We also did not have much experience in child, but am getting more with outpatient schedules. My thoughts are to apply to 3-5 high interest residencies in desirable locations I would like to practice. If I get one, great! If not then I will be fine completing residency where I am at. I know not the best response in applying for a fellowship, but am still interested just not sure how interested and don't want to miss out on an opportunity that was my desired practice a couple of years ago. Is this a fair strategy?

And again, does a late submit hurt my chances that much? If anything it would be in early August.
For whatever it’s worth, I think that sounds fair. Since you’re waiting on the letters you’re kinda forced to do the later submit, but since you’re really interested in those 3-5 locations most, I think if you email the coordinator when your app is complete after waiting for some letters, you should be good! I personally haven’t heard of that ruining someone’s chances of matching.

This type of ambivalence is much more common for fellowship. I know someone who did interviews and then decided not to enter the match and just finished their general program. It was fine. I can't speak to the impact of not having your application ready on the first day--it might cost you an interview invite or two but that would probably depend on exactly how competitive the programs are that you're applying to and if they routinely fill.

Hey all!

Current PGY-4 CAP Fellow here! Just started at Rutgers RWJ this month. I’ve always loved giving reassurance to applicants during residency and wanna continue it now that I’m a fellow (finally getting closer to the dream lol). Would be happy to answer questions. And I hope to see you guys on interview day if you’re considering NJ. ♥️ We just started a instagram if you wanna connect on there: rutgersrwjmschildpsych. It’ll be me responding haha. Have an awesome application season!!✨
Would you have any recommendations for an intern interested in applying C&A in the future? I'm pretty local to RWJ haha

Just submitted my application to 20 programs! Wishing all of us good luck in this process!

• Care

For whatever it’s worth, I think that sounds fair. Since you’re waiting on the letters you’re kinda forced to do the later submit, but since you’re really interested in those 3-5 locations most, I think if you email the coordinator when your app is complete after waiting for some letters, you should be good! I personally haven’t heard of that ruining someone’s chances of matching.
Triple-checked just now, and it is possible to submit your app and later assign LORs! So if you finish your PS prior to having all the LORs, I would go ahead and submit. This is literally what I'm doing because somehow none of my attendings have uploaded theirso_O Just keep reminding myself that this is a very different process from residency apps to try to stop being nauseous every time I think about it lol.

Triple-checked just now, and it is possible to submit your app and later assign LORs! So if you finish your PS prior to having all the LORs, I would go ahead and submit. This is literally what I'm doing because somehow none of my attendings have uploaded theirso_O Just keep reminding myself that this is a very different process from residency apps to try to stop being nauseous every time I think about it lol.
Submitted but still waiting for letters writers to do their part. Definitely a nerve racking process!

I applied to 12! A now-PGY4 from my program here applied to 2, interviewed at both, matched at top choice. Amazing how wide of a spread there is.

What's research like in child psych fellowship? Asking as an MD/PhD genuinely interested in this career pathway (with the CV to back it up).

application season is back and so is my neuroticism lol. just got a message from a program about required documents which includes the "PD Verification or Attestation form" that was supposed to be attached to the PD Letter. I messaged my PD and turns out my PD didn't attach this to his PD Letter...

Do all programs require this PD attestation/verification form?

Can I email the attestation form to directly to programs without needing to use MyERAS or does it needed to be re-uploaded as a separate LOR? I already have 4 LOR slots taken, which I believe is the maximum number of LORs (this includes the PD Letter he uploaded but without the attestation). If he uploads the attestation on to MyERAS as a separate 5th "LOR" will programs be able to receive it even though the maximum is 4?

im freaking out about this..

application season is back and so is my neuroticism lol. just got a message from a program about required documents which includes the "PD Verification or Attestation form" that was supposed to be attached to the PD Letter. I messaged my PD and turns out my PD didn't attach this to his PD Letter...

Do all programs require this PD attestation/verification form?

Can I email the attestation form to directly to programs without needing to use MyERAS or does it needed to be re-uploaded as a separate LOR? I already have 4 LOR slots taken, which I believe is the maximum number of LORs (this includes the PD Letter he uploaded but without the attestation). If he uploads the attestation on to MyERAS as a separate 5th "LOR" will programs be able to receive it even though the maximum is 4?

im freaking out about this..
I think emailing it should be fine. You could even ask your PD to email it if you’re worried about them questioning its validity coming from you.

[Do all programs require this PD attestation/verification form?]

Not all! I’d say half of mine. Worth looking over your programs to identify which do, writing the PC email down, and have PD email the attestation form to the PCs of those programs.

@hopefloats and @risperdoll thank you!
Do you guys know if I can send more than 4 "LORs", my PD uploaded a 5th "LOR" because he forgot to attach the PD verification form on his PD Letter. I already have 4 LOR slots taken, which I believe is the maximum number of LORs (this includes the PD Letter he uploaded but without the attestation). If he uploads the attestation on to MyERAS as a separate 5th "LOR" will programs be able to receive it even though the maximum is 4?

What's research like in child psych fellowship? Asking as an MD/PhD genuinely interested in this career pathway (with the CV to back it up).
It's going to be similar to residency, in that it's very institution dependent. I'm not a research person so I chose to go away from that route, but I saw plenty of programs on the interview trail that had great resources and support for research, plus a desire to have fellows be engaged in that. Those places were the typical academic institutions that you'd expect to engage heavily in research.

@hopefloats and @risperdoll thank you!
Do you guys know if I can send more than 4 "LORs", my PD uploaded a 5th "LOR" because he forgot to attach the PD verification form on his PD Letter. I already have 4 LOR slots taken, which I believe is the maximum number of LORs (this includes the PD Letter he uploaded but without the attestation). If he uploads the attestation on to MyERAS as a separate 5th "LOR" will programs be able to receive it even though the maximum is 4?
Unfortunately no, not through the ERAS LOR system. As far as I can recall, I don’t think you can unassign a letter and reassign another, but that would be a great option if so since then you could just have him upload a letter with both combined. Maybe someone else here can confirm?

Edited to add: Just answered my own question because my PD letter just finally finished processing. Sadly you can’t unassign a letter from a given program once you’ve applied to said program.

Unfortunately no, not through the ERAS LOR system. As far as I can recall, I don’t think you can unassign a letter and reassign another, but that would be a great option if so since then you could just have him upload a letter with both combined. Maybe someone else here can confirm?

Edited to add: Just answered my own question because my PD letter just finally finished processing. Sadly you can’t unassign a letter from a given program once you’ve applied to said program.
you're right, you can't unassign a letter, but can you add more than 4 LOR's?

you're right, you can't unassign a letter, but can you add more than 4 LOR
You can have more than 4 uploaded, but can only assign max 4 per program :( AAMC website says "Assigning LoRs - Applicants may assign of up to four (4) LoRs to each program."

You can have more than 4 uploaded, but can only assign max 4 per program :( AAMC website says "Assigning LoRs - Applicants may assign of up to four (4) LoRs to each program."
Man that's really frustrating, what should I do with the PD verification form then.. Do I email it myself or does my PD have to do it? I was hoping to just upload it as a 5th "LOR" even though its not... Is it even possible to assign 5 "LORs" ?? Does anyone know or have tried?

Man that's really frustrating, what should I do with the PD verification form then.. Do I email it myself or does my PD have to do it? I was hoping to just upload it as a 5th "LOR" even though its not... Is it even possible to assign 5 "LORs" ?? Does anyone know or have tried?
You might be able to have your PD resubmit with the form attached through LORP. Will probably reset that whole 5 business days to process, but would make the process easier if that's doable.

I think you’ll be wasting time doing anything other than just figuring out which programs require the form, collecting the emails of their program coordinators, and asking your PD to send this form to each program BCC. All of that info is accessible via your applied programs list on ERAS, via each program’s website if not posted on their ERAS page. Shouldn’t take that long! 15-30 min, tops?

The other options you mention are possibly time-intensive and uncertain. If you have him email the form Monday or Tuesday, you’re most likely not missing out on anything, including your peace of mind.

I think you’ll be wasting time doing anything other than just figuring out which programs require the form, collecting the emails of their program coordinators, and asking your PD to send this form to each program BCC. All of that info is accessible via your applied programs list on ERAS, via each program’s website if not posted on their ERAS page. Shouldn’t take that long! 15-30 min, tops?

The other options you mention are possibly time-intensive and uncertain. If you have him email the form Monday or Tuesday, you’re most likely not missing out on anything, including your peace of mind.
Second this. You might have to call up some programs because not all of them publicize contact info/email addresses.

Do we want to start interview invites?
I had to send my CAP eligibility form via email (my PD sent them directly).

Do we want to start interview invites?
I had to send my CAP eligibility form via email (my PD sent them directly).
Lol does this mean you have invites? If people have them then please do, this thread is my only source of updates on this stuff!

For those starting to get interviews here is the format past years have used

***COPY AND PASTE***
Put date and then program in alphabetical order by state!

For those starting to get interviews here is the format past years have used

***COPY AND PASTE***
7/24/23- University of Wisconsin Madison

***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Creighton University - Phoenix 7/21 (psy89)

Wisconsin:
University of Wisconsin - Madison 7/24 (nshaa)

***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Creighton University - Phoenix 7/21 (psy89)
Creighton University- Phoenix 7/25 (cam.ry92)

Wisconsin:

Congrats on these interviews! I'm fixing the format to avoid duplicate rows which is similar to last year's format. :)

***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Creighton University - Phoenix 7/21 (psy89) 7/25 (cam.ry92)

Wisconsin:

***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Florida:
University of Miami - Florida 7/26 (nshaa)

Wisconsin:

Last edited:
***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Florida:

Wisconsin:
MCW - 7/26 (peonage)

***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Florida:

South Carolina:
MUSC 7/20 (dfaz173)

Wisconsin:

Last edited:
***COPY AND PASTE***

Arizona:

Florida:

South Carolina:
MUSC 7/20 (dfaz173)

Tennesee:
Vanderbilt 7/26 (medapp71777)

Wisconsin: