Question about E-submission and School Specific Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTswagger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I must complete ALL the school specific questions that ask for 4500 character essays before E-submitting my profile.

Or is it possible to E-submit the schools that don't ask for these types of questions, and then add the other schools when I am finished writing essays.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to complete all the school specific questions for ALL the schools, but you must complete them for atleast one. It's pretty annoying, but you have to complete one schools questions so that the the PT School Designations portion is considered complete, otherwise you can't E-submit your application.
So yes, I would recommend designating a school that doesn't ask for these questions, then e-submitting. You can add schools later.

I may be confused.... so @GoDux1016 , for example, I will be applying to 8 schools and I have already added them as the PT school designations. I have yet to complete all the school-specific questions, so it is delaying my decision to e-submit... Are you saying that I could essentially, say, only add 3 or so schools initially that don't ask the specific questions and e-submit, then add the following schools after? By what time frame would the school specific questions need to be answered by?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so confused. What do you have to have filled out to e-submit? You don't need the school-specific questions answered in order to e-submit? And how are y'all submitting so early?

In order to e-submit, you have to fill out every section with the red square next to it, which, if I remember correctly, is everything except extracurriculars, work experience, and certifications. One of these sections you have to fill out before you hit submit is the school designations, of which only 1 is required. So, hypothetical situation: @krissybear wants to apply to 8 schools, A-H. Schools B-H require additional essays, which she hasn't finished writing yet. School A only requires answers to yes/no questions. She has finished the rest of her application, and wants to submit as early as possible since she knows it takes a couple weeks to process her application and make it available to schools. So she just adds School A, answers the yes/no questions and submits. She can write the essays for the other 7 schools and add those designations as she pleases. When she hits save (or whatever the button is) on each school designation, and assuming the application has already been processed, the application will be available for that specific school to view.

Hope that clears up the general confusion. You would just have to complete each school designation before their deadlines, and preferably earlier if they have rolling admissions.

Last edited:
OH. So I should make a priority finishing my PTCAS essay, e-submitting, and then working on other essays. I don't need to wait until recommendation letters and transcripts are through. Correct?

Will I be able to add courses during Academic Update if they are not designated as "Planned" right now?

OH. So I should make a priority finishing my PTCAS essay, e-submitting, and then working on other essays. I don't need to wait until recommendation letters and transcripts are through. Correct?
I did it that way last year since PTCAS doesn't have to process the school-specific essays. You don't have to wait until letters/transcripts/test scores are through to submit.

Will I be able to add courses during Academic Update if they are not designated as "Planned" right now?
Yes

@krissybear , southernswimmer summed it up pretty well. The school specific questions shouldn't hold you up. If your application is done then submit using designations that don't require ( or have easy) specific questions. You can add schools later. School specific questions should be finished before the individual schools deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it better to submit early even though schools won't look at apps until all of the pieces are complete? (Recs, transcripts, etc.?)