Question About Financial Aid and Undergraduate Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theboatman

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

So I took out some loans for undergraduate (around $12k) that I could hypothetically pay back now. However, I will be matriculating this year and have a question regarding financial aid.

Do financial aid offices take into account my undergraduate debt in my financial aid package? Would it be to my advantage to not pay off these loans at this time in order to increase my potential aid package I receive from the schools?

My loans don't begin accruing interest for 6 months so I don't need to worry about interest.

Thanks
 
Hi there,

So I took out some loans for undergraduate (around $12k) that I could hypothetically pay back now. However, I will be matriculating this year and have a question regarding financial aid.

Do financial aid offices take into account my undergraduate debt in my financial aid package? Would it be to my advantage to not pay off these loans at this time in order to increase my potential aid package I receive from the schools?

My loans don't begin accruing interest for 6 months so I don't need to worry about interest.

Thanks

No. They don't care about previous debt, particularly yours. The main decider in need based aid (if your school actually gives it, not all do) is your parental income.