Question about funding the jump from UG to SMP

Started by Launcelot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Launcelot

Lord of the Flies
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know many of you are about to (or have recently) graduated and are looking forward to a change of scenery at your respective SMP or Post-Bacc institution. (Congrats!) My question is this; I am about graduate soon and two weeks from now I will be starting my SMP but I don't have enough money to pay for the flight, hotels, and soon to be housing situation that awaits me, what should I do? I was considering private bank student loans; is this the way to go?

I cannot receive graduate loans until my program starts and I have already pulled all of my allotted subsidized and unsubsidized undergraduate loans. I plan to pay back whatever loans I pull for this current situation with my graduate loans when they finally come through.
 
You could get a private bank loan and once you receive your federal loan for your program, use the left-overs to repay your private bank loans. This way you can have money you need before the program starts and, you won't have to worry too much about the interest rate that comes with the bank loan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have no potential cosigner, no credit card, and no parents. I am accepted to a program starting this summer.
Is anybody in real life advising you?

Based on your mdapps and your post history, you're talking about moving from OR to FL. I suggest that there's no program in Florida worth a cross country move, no way. Double-no way without moving money.

I think you're way overestimating the value of SMPs. Look into options at PSU or U of O.

Best of luck to you.
 
Is anybody in real life advising you?

Based on your mdapps and your post history, you're talking about moving from OR to FL. I suggest that there's no program in Florida worth a cross country move, no way. Double-no way without moving money.

I think you're way overestimating the value of SMPs. Look into options at PSU or U of O.

Best of luck to you.

I do have real life advising, but they are unable to give any helpful information about the "making ends meet" part. But they are very gungho about SMPs and this program in particular offers all MS1 classes. Your post was very insightful, and I'll definitely have something thinking to do.