Question about getting diagnosed as ADHD or Generalized anxiety disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSismydream19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My good friend (current dental student) had a question about whether it is wise to see a doctor to see whether she has ADHD or generalized anxiety disorder. She doesn't know who to talk to and I said that I can ask on SDN, and she agreed on it.

She has been struggling in school academically and I have been telling her strongly that it will help her to have more time to take tests so that she can do better in school if she gets diagnosed as ADHD or generalized anxiety disorder. It is not completely certain whether she has one of those, but I recommended her to see a doctor whether she has it. However, she is afraid that getting diagnosed as ADHD or generalized anxiety disorder will be negatively applied to her.

I am wondering if anyone knows this type of case and will it help or not help my friend?

Members don't see this ad.

It will be difficult for your friend to be diagnosed with ADHD at this stage given her age and status. Without a previous diagnosis of ADHD and proof of such, it is unlikely she will receive it now since ADHD onset has to be before age 12. How does one that has been successful enough to make it to dental school without previous cognitive therapy and/or stimulant medication all of a sudden fall into the ADHD category that needs special treatment? Its quite unlikely a physician will prescribe stimulants at this point and diagnose her with ADHD. Anxiety would be much more likely to receive both a diagnosis and treatment for her. In addition, Im not sure how being diagnosed with either ADHD or anxiety becomes a negative issue. Diagnoses are confidential unless disclosed voluntarily and aren't frowned upon anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Having adhd is not frowed upon by schools...however, getting prescribed adderall is extremely hard bc it's a control 2 drug. Could it be done at this point in her life? yes, but she has to network.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It will be difficult for your friend to be diagnosed with ADHD at this stage given her age and status. Without a previous diagnosis of ADHD and proof of such, it is unlikely she will receive it now since ADHD onset has to be before age 12. How does one that has been successful enough to make it to dental school without previous cognitive therapy and/or stimulant medication all of a sudden fall into the ADHD category that needs special treatment? Its quite unlikely a physician will prescribe stimulants at this point and diagnose her with ADHD. Anxiety would be much more likely to receive both a diagnosis and treatment for her. In addition, Im not sure how being diagnosed with either ADHD or anxiety becomes a negative issue. Diagnoses are confidential unless disclosed voluntarily and aren't frowned upon anyways.

This is false, they are two completely different conditions. Not having a dx <12yo does not equate to never having it, as it is pervasive. There can be a number of reasons why she was not dx.
Although I see your point, it would be up to the physician to make that determination.

Having adhd is not frowed upon by schools...however, getting prescribed adderall is extremely hard bc it's a control 2 drug. Could it be done at this point in her life? yes, but she has to network.

This too is quite generalized, anecdotal, and incorrect. If diagnosed, stimulant therapy is a first line treatment as long as it is not contraindicated.

There is no such thing as ADHD. "Ma'am your child doesn't pay attention in school, so they have this disorder and you need to buy these expensive drugs and make sure to feed it to them 24/7"

Reactions: 1 user