Question about getting LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdr8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know PharmCAS prefers that LOR's be submitted electronically. I am planning on applying to pharmacy school next year so I can enter the fall of 2011. Since this is my last year of college, I want to get my LOR's now while I am still in the classes of the teachers I plan on requesting them from. If I have them write me LOR's now, will they just sit in my pharmcas account until next year when I plan on applying or do they have to be written just before I plan on having PharmCAS send out my primary application? I am just a bit confused as to how the whole letter of recommendation process works.

Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I know PharmCAS prefers that LOR's be submitted electronically. I am planning on applying to pharmacy school next year so I can enter the fall of 2011. Since this is my last year of college, I want to get my LOR's now while I am still in the classes of the teachers I plan on requesting them from. If I have them write me LOR's now, will they just sit in my pharmcas account until next year when I plan on applying or do they have to be written just before I plan on having PharmCAS send out my primary application? I am just a bit confused as to how the whole letter of recommendation process works.

Thank you for the help.

Odds are the professors will ask of you what you've done the year that you were out of college and I dont know about whether schools would be cool in getting letters from a year ago---a lot could happen over the time span. Tough position to be in but I would have a sit down with the professors you're interested in asking and ask their opinion. I had a sit down with one of my professors *I transferred schools* and asked her if it's cool....she said yup but required that I keep track of things I did over the year that I didnt see her....things like academic progress, research, work, volunteer, etc, etc

P.s some professors save their LORs and update as need be for each individual student..

Letter is pretty much their support in you for the program---they'll address your grades, work ethic (class wise), maturity (in labs and when interacting w/ fellow students and/or staff), etc, etc....

Hm, perhaps it would be a better idea to just try and keep contact with the professors over the course of the next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they submit it now, then it will be wiped and you will need new LORs for the next cycle (or whenever you plan to apply). PharmCAS doesn't keep any old data, so if you're reapplying, you need to put in EVERYTHING again, including LORS, I believe.

Just keep in touch with the professors. Before you leave, give them a heads up and tell them your plans, and that you want to request a LOR when the time comes. That way, they'll keep you in mind or jot some notes for the LOR.

Hm, perhaps it would be a better idea to just try and keep contact with the professors over the course of the next year?

Definitely. I dont know how your schedule will be like but after I switched schools, I stopped in sometimes to say hello to them and sent emails. More importantly, get to know them well now while you can.....

I would definitely try that and see if they would save the recommendation on their files. My university allows you to open a file with them and have your professors send recommendation for the university to hold onto. When your ready the school will directly send them to your destination. See if your school does this first. If they dont, then ask your professors.