Question about GI Bill and In-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I’m looking for some insight regarding the GI Bill and in-state tuition. When I used some of my GI Bill benefits a few years ago, schools had to consider you as an in-state student as long as you started school within 3 years of separation from active duty. I’ve heard that now they have to consider you in-state at any time if they want to remain a GI Bill eligible school. The VA website isn’t super clear to me. Anyone have some info to help clarify this for me?

V/R

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so I’m looking for some insight regarding the GI Bill and in-state tuition. When I used some of my GI Bill benefits a few years ago, schools had to consider you as an in-state student as long as you started school within 3 years of separation from active duty. I’ve heard that now they have to consider you in-state at any time if they want to remain a GI Bill eligible school. The VA website isn’t super clear to me. Anyone have some info to help clarify this for me?

V/R

Big Hoss
My understanding is your GI Bill will cover full tuition at any state school up to 10 years after separation. (you are considered a resident). And if they are a yellow ribbon private school a large portion of the tuition (school depending) is covered through government matching.

Reactions: 1 user