Question about GI Bill and In-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so I’m looking for some insight regarding the GI Bill and in-state tuition. When I used some of my GI Bill benefits a few years ago, schools had to consider you as an in-state student as long as you started school within 3 years of separation from active duty. I’ve heard that now they have to consider you in-state at any time if they want to remain a GI Bill eligible school. The VA website isn’t super clear to me. Anyone have some info to help clarify this for me?

V/R

Big Hoss
 
Okay, so I’m looking for some insight regarding the GI Bill and in-state tuition. When I used some of my GI Bill benefits a few years ago, schools had to consider you as an in-state student as long as you started school within 3 years of separation from active duty. I’ve heard that now they have to consider you in-state at any time if they want to remain a GI Bill eligible school. The VA website isn’t super clear to me. Anyone have some info to help clarify this for me?

V/R

Big Hoss
My understanding is your GI Bill will cover full tuition at any state school up to 10 years after separation. (you are considered a resident). And if they are a yellow ribbon private school a large portion of the tuition (school depending) is covered through government matching.