thinklikeaproton2019

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker but first time posting! Just want to preface by saying thank you to everyone who takes time out of their days to contribute to these forums, I've learned so much from reading your comments.

Some background:
I go to a notoriously difficult undergrad university (I'm wondering if this will factor into your response)

I have research experience, teaching experience, somewhat unique volunteering experiences, and shadowing.

I have ~3.6 GPA, maybe it will go up a little before graduation but I don't expect anything much beyond the low 3.6s and a 516 on the MCAT so my questions are:

1. How do upper middle and top schools look at these sort of stats? For instance, at places like Einstein or Duke I hit their median MCAT scores but I'm not even close to their median GPAs. Would applying to schools of this caliber really just be a donation?

2. At other schools where my MCAT is much higher than the median and in some cases 90th% + I still barely even make their 10th % in terms of GPA. How do these schools consider cases like mine?

I certainly don't regret going to my school, after all I think I owe my MCAT score to the education I have received here, but I cannot deny that I do sometimes wonder if it will ultimately hold me back because of my GPA.

I would greatly appreciate if any ADCOMs had any thoughts on this kind of disparity! Or also if there are any current medical students or students applying who faced a similar situation and can weigh in, that would be great! Thanks again!

teenyfish

5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm not sure how schools look at the difficulty of undergrad, but a 3.6 and 516 MCAT aren't different to the point where I'd worry. I think the average GPA for accepted MD is around 3.7 and average MCAT is something like 509? So you're right in the middle when you consider both factors of your app.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
516 is a solid but not stellar MCAT. It's probably around a 35 or so on the old scale. Your undergrad is looked at, but unless it's like Princeton or MIT, you're probably not going to get too much sympathy, especially when a 3.6, while below average, is not a bad GPA.

Einstein is probably a good fit for you stats wise. Applying to Duke wouldn't be a donation, but you should go in knowing you're punching above your (stat-driven) weight class.

About the Ads

calivianya

2+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2017
Status
I imagine the fact that you go to a difficult undergrad may factor into local med school's selection criteria, but OOS schools probably aren't going to know much about your undergrad. Either way, your stats aren't bad.

If your ECs are good, and it sounds like they are, I'd think you'd get in somewhere.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker but first time posting! Just want to preface by saying thank you to everyone who takes time out of their days to contribute to these forums, I've learned so much from reading your comments.

Some background:
I go to a notoriously difficult undergrad university (I'm wondering if this will factor into your response)

I have research experience, teaching experience, somewhat unique volunteering experiences, and shadowing.

I have ~3.6 GPA, maybe it will go up a little before graduation but I don't expect anything much beyond the low 3.6s and a 516 on the MCAT so my questions are:

1. How do upper middle and top schools look at these sort of stats? For instance, at places like Einstein or Duke I hit their median MCAT scores but I'm not even close to their median GPAs. Would applying to schools of this caliber really just be a donation?

2. At other schools where my MCAT is much higher than the median and in some cases 90th% + I still barely even make their 10th % in terms of GPA. How do these schools consider cases like mine?

I certainly don't regret going to my school, after all I think I owe my MCAT score to the education I have received here, but I cannot deny that I do sometimes wonder if it will ultimately hold me back because of my GPA.

I would greatly appreciate if any ADCOMs had any thoughts on this kind of disparity! Or also if there are any current medical students or students applying who faced a similar situation and can weigh in, that would be great! Thanks again!
I think you're fine. Average accepted is a 3.70 and a 510. So I don't think you need to be concerned. Try to raise it a bit but I feel like you're stats are really good

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
You just may need to cast a wider net due to your GPA. Your stats aren't terrible, so you'll probably get love from somewhere.

OP
T

thinklikeaproton2019

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2017
Status
You just may need to cast a wider net due to your GPA. Your stats aren't terrible, so you'll probably get love from somewhere.
yikes can't say I love seeing "your stats" and "terrible" in the same sentence. If they aren't terrible, you think they are bad? Or is that sentence meant to be read in a more conversational way?

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
yikes can't say I love seeing "your stats" and "terrible" in the same sentence. If they aren't terrible, you think they are bad? Or is that sentence meant to be read in a more conversational way?
Oh gosh I am sorry! No, I don't think they're bad at all! Your GPA is lower than a lot of medians, but as I said, just cast a wider net. You have a great mcat score so that helps a lot! I would't be super worried.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
A 3.6/516 isn't really much of a discrepancy. Consider applying to mid tiers like Einstein, Hofstra, Rochester... as well as some more competitive schools like Virginia, Emory, Duke etc.

Undergrad plays a role but to what degree varies by school. I think you'll be fine.

About the Ads