EmAtECU

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
OOOOOOOk, so I'm a junior at ECU majoring in Chemistry. I want to apply to several pharmacy schools this coming fall. I was wondering if it is unheard of to have a few Cs and still get into pharmacy school. My GPA is currently at 3.45 and I am hoping to bring it up after this semester, but I did make several Cs before I transferred here to ECU. Maybe this is something you guys would know, maybe not, but I'd appreciate any information!
Emily

OP
E

EmAtECU

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Ok, so I'm a junior at ECU and I'm majoring in Chemistry. My current GPA is 3.45, but I'm hoping to bring it up a little after this semester. I did however make a few Cs at my old college in a couple of the pharm. prereq. classes, so I'm kind of worried about my chances of getting into a program. If you guys know any info. that could help me out, please share!
Thanks,
Emily

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
C's are alright...just not too many...3.45 is average

Jonno1288

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2004
Austin
Status
I know someone who got a C in Organic Chemistry and still made it in. But she took 3 years to do her pre-reqs instead of 2.

I think that a few C's are okay. As long as you show improvement and have many other qualities such as extracurricular activities and volunteering.

UTPharmDoc

PharmD from UT
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Eveyone has a hard time when transiting to college. If you got a C in a few intro courses, don't sweat. It will be really impressive if you took harder courses and do well in them. If you are able to improve upon each semester, that's awesome!

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
Everyone I have talked to about this topic in my class (in pharmacy school) has had Cs. Some even Ds that they had to retake.

Now... that being said we applied before the whole pharmcas/pcat craze.

i honestly would not have wanted to bother coming to pharmacy school if that meant i could not have any fun at all in undergrad.

so i had a good time... finished my prereqs in 2 years and got in.

again... this was before pharmcas made it so easy to apply to multiple schools

WVURxGal

Mountaineer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Morgantown, WV
Status
I made a C in organic chem I (hah, and it was like a 69.7... ssssssssh, WVU admissions doesn't need to know that!) but got a good recommendation from the professor (I also had him for orgoII, and I got a B) so that may help. I'm sure everyone will hear about it when (saying 'if' is bad! No doubts allowed!!!) I get in!

OP
E

EmAtECU

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, sorry about the double post. My computer kept telling me that it wasnt posted due to some error, so until today I had no clue that it was even posted on here, lol. The only problem that I really have with the Cs that I made is that they are in some pretty core classes for pharm school. I took them before I was really serious about wanting to apply, I had just joined a sorority and needless to say school work wasn't really top on my priorities that year. I made Cs in Biology I, Bio II, Anatomy, and Physics II. I wish I could go back and take them again but I dont think that my school will let me grade replace Cs and they are actually Cs from a different university so Im pretty sure that I'm stuck with them.. :(

chloejane

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Status
Although your bio grades are a little low, you could show your improvement by taking some more challenging classes and really doing well. I do think most schools look at and value improvement over time just because many people have a difficult period of adjustment when they first get to college. If you make a significant effort to do really well in the rest of your pre-req classes, I'd bet you stand a very good chance!! (and if it's any reassurance I made a C in Orgo II and Genetics and still got in)

No matter what, don't give up hope!!!