question about health insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohandfj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those people leaving a job and going to pharmacy school, what would you do about the health insurance if you are single? I guess there must be some students are in this situation, as I will end up with if I get admitted for 2008. :laugh: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For those people leaving a job and going to pharmacy school, what would you do about the health insurance if you are single? I guess there must be some students are in this situation, as I will end up with if I get admitted for 2008. :laugh: Thanks!

the school you attend will offer you an insurance plan. Its pretty crappy but is insurance none the less.

the school you attend will offer you an insurance plan. Its pretty crappy but is insurance none the less.

I thought the insurance plan from the school would be expensive and crappy, don't know how bad it can be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was about $1600 for the school year.

free immunizations, Rx 50:50 (down from 60:40 last year), and I think a $20 copay to see the Dr. I haven't gotten the bill yet from the thyroid ultrasound I had done in June... I think there are 5 or 10 mental health visits in there and 2 massages a semester?

Anyway, I had state aid last year and after less than a month of that I plunked down the cash for the school insurance. So far I think it's been mostly worth it.

Most states, like Massachusetts, require you to have insurance. If your parents have insurance have them check if they can cover you. During my undergrad years I was covered until I was 25 under my parents insurance.

You could try to get insurance yourself but you take your chances. It will probably be more expensive than the school insurance and you might have to take a physical. Your insurance premium will be based on your risk rating. Not bad if your super healthy and don't need any scripts and need limited services. While the school probably has a group rate where your covered, although not many services, no matter what your health status.

Each school is different....but if you want to know what it's like for me....

For all WVU students it's $10 to see a practitioner at student health regardless of whether or not you have their insurance....just for regular outpatient type of stuff. I've gone twice this year for a lung infection and to get my albuterol/advair refills. I got nebs in their clinic included in the fee when I had the infection. The actual insurance is $600 for a year and it covers hospitalizations and major health stuff... but you can only go to WVU hospitals...which is where I'd go anyway. Rx copays are $20/generic, $40/brand.

I think we get a reasonable deal.

There is a Federal Law called C.O.B.R.A. When you leave employment, they are obligated to offer you the same insurance you presently have for a minimum of 18 months. You have to pay, however. But this is an option until you shop around and decide what is best for you.

There is a Federal Law called C.O.B.R.A. When you leave employment, they are obligated to offer you the same insurance you presently have for a minimum of 18 months. You have to pay, however. But this is an option until you shop around and decide what is best for you.

COBRA is pricey....mine were around 800 per month

COBRA is super-expensive, although you do get to keep your same benefits that you had previously. I don't know why this thought hadn't crossed my mind. If I leave my job to go to pharmacy school, we'll have to switch to my husband's plan. I don't think their benefits are as rich as mine are, but they're benefits nonetheless. Luckily, we stay mostly healthy.

COBRA is super-expensive, although you do get to keep your same benefits that you had previously. I don't know why this thought hadn't crossed my mind. If I leave my job to go to pharmacy school, we'll have to switch to my husband's plan. I don't think their benefits are as rich as mine are, but they're benefits nonetheless. Luckily, we stay mostly healthy.

ahhh..my future boss..I hope you give me a nice health plan when I work for you..

It is whatever the employer pays for health insurance. No mark-up permitted. So know you know how much your employer was paying for your health insurance....

It is whatever the employer pays for health insurance. No mark-up permitted. So know you know how much your employer was paying for your health insurance....

Not to put too fine a print on it, but federal law allows for 102% of the group rate - not the rate that you might have chosen if you'd have chosen the least expensive option. Its 102% of the most expensive option.

The 2% allows for adminstrative expenses....

thanks for all the replies, I have a rough idea now. :laugh: