Question about how programs rank candidates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzie516

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When programs rank the candidates they interviewed, do they base their decisions solely on interviews alone or do they go back and look at other things such CV, rotations, letters of recommendation, etc.?

Also, just out of curiosity... let's say if a program interviewed about 40 candidates for 4 resident spots, does the program rank all 40 candidates and send the entire list to the match or do they only rank a small # of candidates and send a short list to the match?

Thanks very much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

When programs rank the candidates they interviewed, do they base their decisions solely on interviews alone or do they go back and look at other things such CV, rotations, letters of recommendation, etc.?

Also, just out of curiosity... let's say if a program interviewed about 40 candidates for 4 resident spots, does the program rank all 40 candidates and send the entire list to the match or do they only rank a small # of candidates and send a short list to the match?

Thanks very much! :)

We use a criteria that looks at all factors...interviews, CV, letters of rec... however I will say that interview is a huge factor. Some candidates look really good on paper, but when you talk to them, you get turned off. We rank every candidate we consider acceptable...I think this yr we ended up ranking 25 our of 30 interviewed.

interview is a MAJOR factor. the letters nad stuff help with the small differences between #1-#4. the interview is huge.

i couldnt believe some of the **** people said in the interviews. it just blew my mind.

i was on the resident search committee. i was able to sit and interview all applicants and i have a vote.

gpa is not a big concern for me. however, i am thrown back if someone has F's and D's.

some candidates told me stories that were probably the very worst thing you can say in an interview. hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
like what!!! I say after match day you share just genericness of those stories. That sounds interesting!

like what!!! I say after match day you share just genericness of those stories. That sounds interesting!

Haha, I'd love to know what some people said...

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!