Question about IB Credit for Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ush02

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m a 3rd year undergrad Neuroscience major who took IB courses in high school. More specifically, I took HL Bio and got a 4, which my university then used as credit for the introductory biology course (which did not have a lab).

My question is, if I took an upper level Biology course including a lab (like genetics) the winter before I apply, would schools that accept AP credits find it acceptable for prerequisites? I’m fairly stressed out about this considering I’ve taken multiple biology courses as part of my major and none of them have required a lab.

Thank you!

Edit: I have asked my pre-med advisors multiple times about pre-requisite courses and they have not commented on the IB credit being a disadvantage. Have sent them an email but they’re currently on break

Edit 2 (for clarity): I double checked my transcript and the class I did get IB credit for also had a lab component. However, only the class itself, not the lab (which is a separate section) is marked as "satisfied" on my transcript by the IB credit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have to check with the schools on your wishlist directly. See what is mentioned on their website regarding AP, IB, and dual enrollment credits. Some schools outright say what they would consider in substituting for AP/IB credit... others are much more circumspect.

FWIW, I never considered IB credits as disadvantages, but it's the committee's policy and experience how students with that credit had or did not have the desired foundational depth. I do think that since we are talking about biology advanced placement that your approach to point out your capability with upper-level courses is a rational one.

I was planning to take an upper level biology class either way as one of my Neuroscience electives, but I wanted to make sure that this wouldn't get looked down on by adcoms. I've looked at some schools (have not made a definitive wishlist as I have not taken the MCAT yet nor are my ECs anywhere near full), and they seem to accept AP credits, but they also require one year of biology with labwork at minimum. Not really much about IB credits, though, but I assume it would be the same between the two.