Question about Letter of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquafire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone who has recently switched from pre-medicine to pre-dental. She wanted to know if the letters of recommendation she got from her college professors are specific to medical schools or if they are general letters that can be used to apply to any grad schools. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Only way to find out is to ask the professors.

Reactions: 1 user
She wanted to know if the letters of recommendation she got from her college professors are specific to medical schools or if they are general letters that can be used to apply to any grad schools. Please help!

...How could we possibly know that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure when your "friend" asked for a letter of recommendation, the professor asks for what school?

The letter will then probably be something like this.

"I am pleased to write this letter of recommendation on behalf Mr. XXXXXX for your medical program."

I am pretty sure when your "friend" asked for a letter of recommendation, the professor asks for what school?

The letter will then probably be something like this.

"I am pleased to write this letter of recommendation on behalf Mr. XXXXXX for your medical program."

You got your LoRs tailored to specific schools....?

They probably are somewhat specific. If they were good letters, they would have explained why the applicant is a good fit for medical school, or why they would excel as a med student. I know my advisor uses the same letter for each program/fellowship/scholarship I apply for, but she tailors it to that specific application by changing the words around or placing emphasis on different aspects of my CV. Her best bet would be to ask those same professors to update the letters to place an emphasis on why she would make a good dental student! Shouldn't take them too long to do that, and hopefully she has maintained a relationship with each of them!

Reactions: 1 users