Question about Letters of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimbalaya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Requesting some advice:

I'm a nontraditional applicant and because of the number of years I've been out of school, I had a hard time getting letters from my undergrad professors... plus, i doubt they could've wrote me quality letters. I've only been able to acquire one letter from a science professor, a letter from my employer, and one from a volunteer coordinator. Most of the schools I've received secondaries from require three academically-oriented letters. I'm currently taking a science course and hope to get another letter, but this is still short of the requirements of many schools.

Does anyone know how strict schools are with their LOR requirements? do they give some leeway when considering nontraditionals? or am I just an idiot for not kissing ass during my college years!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on each school. MCW said they'd take substitutes for undergrad letters if you've been out of school for 6+years, while Albany said they'd take substitutes (emloyer/gradschools) if you graduated before 2001.

So you see, it varies from school to school. The best thing to do is call.