Question about Licensing Costs in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccercat

Postdoc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in the process of re-negotiating my postdoc contract and initially they offered to cover the costs of my licensing fees and test prep materials. My school actually covers that so I am trying to see if I can get a salary bump instead. While I know the cost to apply for my license and prep materials, I can't find anything about the cost to sit for the EPPP in NYS. I also can't find anything about how long the license is good for and when I'll need to renew (and how much that will cost---not that this will come up on postdoc, but I want to bank this information for later for future full time work contract negotiations). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

After you've paid the licensure fees for the State of NY, you then pay ASPPB 687.50 for the exam. As for how long the license will last, which one are you referring to? NY has a limited permit that's good for 1-year; the permanent license is good for life - however, the State of NY requires a "registration" (makes life a bit more confusing) and that is completed every 3 years for a $10 fee (I think I read this correctly). Here's one link: Online Registration Renewal Information and here's the psych specific site: http://www.op.nysed.gov/help.htm#status - I've spent many hours on this webpage trying to figure it all out as well. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! This is super helpful!

Do you happen to know if I can bill under medicaid? I'm under the impression that all billing goes through my supervisor (regardless of insurance), but I am hearing conflicting things from different trainees that I know.