Question about LOR, Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have had three different research experiences. 1 Clincial, and 2 bench research (one of which was at another university). I was planning on getting 1 clincial, and 1 lab research letter, but I get the feeling that one of my research PI's wants me to go to grad school, and I don't think his LOR will be that strong, so I don't want to risk it. How crucial is a research LOR? I am thinking about just keeping the 1 clincial, and get the other letters from professors. Does anyone have any suggestions? Have people been accepted without a lab research LOR?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lab research LOR isn't a requirement and many people have been accepted without them.

If you read, you will see that most schools require X letters from science faculty and a few require one or two from non-science faculty. A few others still require a letter from a clinical supervisor. (USUHS comes to mind).

Originally posted by kinkocopies3
Hi All,

So I have had three different research experiences. 1 Clincial, and 2 bench research (one of which was at another university). I was planning on getting 1 clincial, and 1 lab research letter, but I get the feeling that one of my research PI's wants me to go to grad school, and I don't think his LOR will be that strong, so I don't want to risk it. How crucial is a research LOR? I am thinking about just keeping the 1 clincial, and get the other letters from professors. Does anyone have any suggestions? Have people been accepted without a lab research LOR?

Thanks

i had no lab research LOR and i think i was okay. just have LOR from people you trust and think will write good recommendations. good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Utah requires a research letter, but it is the only school I know of that does. (they require six different letters!) Unless you plan on going there, you don't NEED one, but they always help. Your professor (PI) should come off his pedestal if he is trying to make your decisions for you and be professional. Many personal recommenders are willing to let you see the letter (or even write it!), but you'd have to be pretty comfortable with them to ask to have a copy.

In short, if you trust that they have a favorable opinion of your work and personality, it shouldn't matter what they think about where you would be happiest - get their letter. Ask him/her upfront if they can write you a good letter. If they can't, they will tell you.

I never understood this "my PI wants me to go to grad school so will write a bad LOR" phenomenon.

It sounds like pre-med neuroticism to me.

But regardless, you have 3 to choose from and you can't send most schools all 3, so pick two and then have 3 classroom instructors do the other 3 (pick 2 science and 1 non-science).

Is there a site that compiles all the med schools and exactly what LORs they want? (2 science, 1 non-science, etc). Or a thread on sdn? Or does one have to go to every school admissions site individually and look it up?