Question about LORs and AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirius Black

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be applying to med schools for 2005, and for those of you who have already gone through the application process, I was wondering whether you send your Letters of Recommendation to AMCAS or to the individual schools? What's their policy on that, I mean does it have to be in a sealed envelope and signed? And do you send them with your initial application or with your secondaries? I'd appreciate any help, thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

LOR's go to individual schools along with their secondaries. Letters should be sent by a LOR service.

Service---meaning your premed committee. I had my lor's sent to my premed committee and they handled everything. I just told them the address to send the LORs to and *poof * it was done.

I'm not sure what you do if you dont have a committee. I suggest you start asking people now. (I gave my recommenders a CV, Personal Statement, copy of transcript.) And you wont need to send them out until you send out 2ndaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools without a committee:

Approach the professor/recommender in the same manner and ask them for the letter.

If they agree to write one, provide them with the addresses on the secondary applications. Some would rather use their own letterhead envelopes, but others would like stamped and pre-addressed envelopes. Just ask.

When the recommender has a drafted letter ready, simply provide them with addresses or envelopes as you go through your secondaries.

Hope this helps!

my school didn't have a committee, but the career center has a LOR service. if your school has this, you have to use it. requested the letters from the profs, and the profs turned it into the career center. i then directed the career center to send my letters to the schools to which i applied. you have to put up with the slowness of the system and the fees, but nothing you can do about it.