Question about LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePT850

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding LOR's. I plan on submitting soon, but I won't be able to ask for a LOR until the middle of fall. Will I be able to go in and add another email to request an LOR after I submit? Or do I have to wait until I enter all emails for the LOR's before I submit? Any help/guidance on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reference Deadlines
Arrange for PTCAS to receive all of your references by the application deadline date selected by the program. Programs may not consider applicants who submit late materials. PTCAS does not enforce reference deadlines and will forward the references to your designated PT programs, even if they arrive late.

PTCAS Processing of References
  • PTCAS will begin to release the references to your PT programs, once your application is received.
  • PTCAS will not determine if you have met the reference requirements for a particular PT program.
  • PTCAS will not hold your application for missing references.
  • If your reference arrives after your application is processed, PTCAS will still release it to your PT programs.
  • References cannot be changed or edited in any way once received by PTCAS.
    http://www.ptcas.org/References/

So since references cant be changed or edited after received by PTCAS, does that mean existing references? I understand that the letters can be submitted after the application has been e-submitted. Instead, I'm trying to figure out if I can add new references to my already e-submitted PT app? Or do all of my references emails have to be in before I e-submit (I know that there actual letters don't have to be in at this time)? Sorry for the confusion!

Members don't see this ad :)
So since references cant be changed or edited after received by PTCAS, does that mean existing references? I understand that the letters can be submitted after the application has been e-submitted. Instead, I'm trying to figure out if I can add new references to my already e-submitted PT app? Or do all of my references emails have to be in before I e-submit (I know that there actual letters don't have to be in at this time)? Sorry for the confusion!
I'm pretty sure you can add a reference even after submitting it as long as you only have 3 or less references when you e-submit. That is because PTCAS only accepts 4 references per applicant. I have 3 references and have already submitted my application, and when I go to my references section now, I can still add another reference if I want to. Once your reference completes the LOC and sends it to PTCAS, PTCAS will then send it to the PT schools you applied to. I hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure you can add a reference even after submitting it as long as you only have 3 or less references when you e-submit. That is because PTCAS only accepts 4 references per applicant. I have 3 references and have already submitted my application, and when I go to my references section now, I can still add another reference if I want to. Once your reference completes the LOC and sends it to PTCAS, PTCAS will then send it to the PT schools you applied to. I hope this helps!

Okay awesome! Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it

Yes you can go in after you submit your application and add another reference and PTCAS will forward it to your school as stated on their website; if this recommendation is absolutely needed on your application though, make sure that sending it mid fall will not hinder your chances at some schools.