Question about LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QWAOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to request my LOR's for professors and doctors, my question is if iam applying to differnt school and only have few LOR's. Should I ask them to write for all of the schools or just one? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Each optometry school has different requirements for the LOR. So depending on which schools you are applying to, you should ask your professors and doctors accordingly.... Generally though most schools require the same.... an Optometrist, two science professors or a health preprofessional committe advisor. So best thing to do would ask whoever your people are to write out to all the schools you've applied to. I think it would just get messy if you got different people to write LOR to different opt schools. Anways remeber to include envelope and postage, with a letter descring a little about yourself (if your sources are not super familar with you). Hope it helps :)

Are we to ask for LOR's when we are ready to apply for school or start a year/two before we apply for school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Yes it does help.

try to get a LOR as early as possible especially the ones that are science related.. that way you don't have to do it in the last minute and panic. Also, see if your career services dept at your school has a place where you can store all your LORs. The great thing about storing it is that you don't have to bug your prof if you decide to apply to another school, you can just call them to send it out to the schools, and they store the LOR for 4 years. The only bad thing about that is that some schools have their own forms that they want your prof. or opt. to fill out....

and I agree.. make sure you have everything prepared for your prof or opt before you meet with them. An addressed envelope with stamp, forms, and maybe your resume or personal statement if you aren't too familiar with them. Oh and remind them that their letter has to have the proper letterhead.. whether it is the school's or his/her private practice!...

I was wondering if anyone that has already applied got an interview before all of their LORs were received by the college, especially if all other application materials (transpcript, OAT scores, etc.) were already received. Will schools refuse to invite you for an interview if the only thing you're missing is one or two LORs?

Do schools generally want both the application and set of LORs at the same time? It seems from the above poster that SUNY doesn't require both be received at once. My school uses a letter service, and I have no idea how reliable they are in terms of getting letters to the schools on time.

Do schools generally want both the application and set of LORs at the same time? It seems from the above poster that SUNY doesn't require both be received at once. My school uses a letter service, and I have no idea how reliable they are in terms of getting letters to the schools on time.

It depends which school you are applying too. Most schools, if not all, allow you to complete the application online. SUNY does not require LORs to be sent in together with the application. I do recommend to complete and send everything in as soon as you can when the application season begins.