question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
most of my professors dont seem to care about their students. i've met a couple of them but i dont think they know me well to write a good recommendation. even my research professor:confused:... i heard he writes bad recommendations (i do mean BAD, not weak) so im not going to ask him for one. i volunteer in the ER 10-12hr/week and since the doctors keep walking around i dont get to communicate with them very much...i still have 1,5 years to apply

what can i do ?

LOL.

Anyways, you could ask one of your TAs? Why don't you shadow a MD, maybe he or she can write you a good letter. I'm having two MDs that I am shadowing write me letters. Also, I'm sure at least ONE professor will care about his student trying to go to medical school. Good luck.

take courses with smaller class sizes: participate in class if applicable, go to office hours, do well.

get to know your advisers: set up meetings, bounce ideas off of them. seek advice.

umm, idk why you wouldn't go to your PI.. ask: "would you feel comfortable writing me a strong, supportive letter of rec for med school" (when the time comes, obviously not now). be sure to hint at what you want him to target in the letter if he doesn't ask (i.e. what traits to focus on). judge is response to see whether you should use the letter or not.

if you have a problem with the PI or cannot see the relationship bearing fruit, try and find another lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you do ask for your a LOR, make sure you ask ifthe professor will be willing to write you a stellar LOR, if no...moveon.

Haha, yah make sure you tell them you want a good LOR.. one of my TAs told me that there was this one dood applying for medskool who was a math major or something.. and he was super smart.. total genius, asked his math instructor to write an LOR.. and of course he did. For some reason tho he wasn't getting in everywhere so one day i guess he mailed the letters to himself and ripped them open.. the one from his math instructor said blahblah.. great student.. genius.. then said something .. but this student has a dark side.. haha that one comment i think successfully kept him out... the following year he got a different letter and got in .. so you wanna watch it with the LORs