question about math and science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j787

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ive been looking around on the forum for a while and decided to join. Ive just started taking classes this year at my local cc. Since i was a kid i was always thinking about pharmacy. I graduated high school in 2010 but my last two years of high school were a little rough due to some health problems. I didnt get as much math and science as i would of liked to. So i am trying to catch up know. One questions is what do you guys find helpful when you try to study for math? Math is not my strong area and im really struggling in it. Do you guys find that anything in particular helps you study better? Also i tried taking and intro to chemistry class this fall but had to drop it because i was not ready for the math in it. One other question about chemistry class i was wondering is do you guys have to memorize the periodic table and know how to spell each element correctly? Also any advice for someone who is just starting out on what would be helpful and what wouldnt? Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably not the most qualified person to give advice because I'm only halfway through my pre-reqs, but math was not my strong suit either. So the best thing I can tell you to do is become immersed in math. Don't procrastinate on your homework, go to your tutoring center and your school's math lab if they have one, and study, study, study! I also recommend this website: purplemath.com [idk if posting links is against TOS, please forgive me in advance].

As far a science - I don't have much advice, because it comes pretty naturally to me. But again, study. Be disciplined. School is your new job. Do your best! Memorize if you have to...including spelling.

Also, I would advise that once you start taking math keep it up - don't skip a semester. just knock all your math out. you want to keep the material from the last class fresh in your brain for the next class. Good luck!!

Well for Pharmacy you will need to take Calculus. The hard part of Calc. is the Trig. Just make sure you learn and understand Trig well. If you do then Calc is a cake walk. As far as the math you were doing in Chem....well that should not really be anything beyond very basic Algebra and Multiplication/division/addition/subtraction. Really the hardest part of math in Chem should be the conversions and most of that is just remembering the different units (centi, micro, milli, kilo)

As for Science: Yes typically you are expected to know the name, weight, and symbol for most of the common elements (Cl, O, H, N, C, K, Na, etc). Different professors have different expectations about how much more they want you to know. I would ask around your school and see how each professor is. Also you will be asked to know certain ions (Ie Sulfate, Phosphate, Hydroxide, etc). Mostly the things you have to know are going to keep coming up in every science class, so getting them down early will just make understanding stuff a bit easier.

As stated before the best method here is just studying and practicing. For the Elements I would make note cards of any elements that give you trouble.

Also most schools offer tutor support free of charge. Ask about it and get help before you NEED it. Typically once you get to the point where you need it, you already have a few bad grades on tests/quizzes that are hard to overcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well for Pharmacy you will need to take Calculus. The hard part of Calc. is the Trig. Just make sure you learn and understand Trig well. If you do then Calc is a cake walk. As far as the math you were doing in Chem....well that should not really be anything beyond very basic Algebra and Multiplication/division/addition/subtraction. Really the hardest part of math in Chem should be the conversions and most of that is just remembering the different units (centi, micro, milli, kilo)

As for Science: Yes typically you are expected to know the name, weight, and symbol for most of the common elements (Cl, O, H, N, C, K, Na, etc). Different professors have different expectations about how much more they want you to know. I would ask around your school and see how each professor is. Also you will be asked to know certain ions (Ie Sulfate, Phosphate, Hydroxide, etc). Mostly the things you have to know are going to keep coming up in every science class, so getting them down early will just make understanding stuff a bit easier.

As stated before the best method here is just studying and practicing. For the Elements I would make note cards of any elements that give you trouble.

Also most schools offer tutor support free of charge. Ask about it and get help before you NEED it. Typically once you get to the point where you need it, you already have a few bad grades on tests/quizzes that are hard to overcome.

+1 :thumbup:

Practice as many probems as you can. Don't just do the problems that your profession assigns, do every problem from that chapter. When you're done, do them all again:D

You could try to look up some videos online just to get the clear understanding on the concepts or how to do certain problems. It did help me a lot. I'm currently finishing up Calc II right now :p

ok thanks for the information guys. i am taking math again in the fall but ill be practicing all summer.

If you ever play any mmorpg like wow, you will know it takes a lot of grinding to reach the max level. Same thing applies to math.

hi ive been looking around on the forum for a while and decided to join. Ive just started taking classes this year at my local cc. Since i was a kid i was always thinking about pharmacy. I graduated high school in 2010 but my last two years of high school were a little rough due to some health problems. I didnt get as much math and science as i would of liked to. So i am trying to catch up know. One questions is what do you guys find helpful when you try to study for math? Math is not my strong area and im really struggling in it. Do you guys find that anything in particular helps you study better? Also i tried taking and intro to chemistry class this fall but had to drop it because i was not ready for the math in it. One other question about chemistry class i was wondering is do you guys have to memorize the periodic table and know how to spell each element correctly? Also any advice for someone who is just starting out on what would be helpful and what wouldnt? Thanks for any advice

I can tell by your posts that you just graduated high school:laugh:. Don't worry kid, I was just like you. Started out at CC but now am at a 4 year university doing well.
In my opinion, the best strategy for math is to practice, practice, and practice:laugh: Do all the HW problems and make sure you understand every single question. If you are struggling, seek for help immediately. Do NOT wait until tests are a few days a way(many of my friends did these and they ended up flunking the class).
As far as having to start out from lower level classes, don't worry about that. It is better to start from those beginner classes rather than getting killed in classes you are not supposed to be in.

For the chemistry class, I really doubt you have to memorize the periodic table. For now on, just focus on getting superb grades.

Good luck! and let me know if you have any questions.