Question about normal Physical Exam findings in Step 2CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm retaking my Step 2CS and had a quick question for anyone who passed this damn thing. -_-

I'm making up an example to clarify my point.
If there is a pt with a clear suspected pathology, like a smoker who is coughing and most likely has COPD or a pt with mitral valve prolapse.

BUT on the physical exam for these same pts, I hear the lungs are clear to auscultation, or the heart has regular rate rhythm with no murmurs (Because the SPs clearly can't create a murmur or make their lungs crackle at will).

Then on the patient note, do I just write that the lung and heart findings were normal? Or "pretend" that I heard crackles and murmurs and write that down on the patient note, even though I didn't actually hear it?

I'm not sure what they're expecting us to do, but I can't afford to leave a single stone unturned...I feel like this one test could derail all the work I did over the last 4 years. So failing it a second time is not an option.

P.s. If anyone failed and had to re-take, or did really well on it and could share their wisdom, I'd gladly appreciate it. Trying to read the First Aid CS book again, but the 60 practice cases don't seem very helpful reading on my own.

Members don't see this ad.

you document the normal findings. no faking stuff. thats a no no

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fwiw they can simulate findings, including lung sounds.

Also as noted above absolutely do not document anything other than what you actually find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear about your struggle! This f... test keeps me up at night because of my typing speed...