Question about not seeing many pts on rotation & bad attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerallwinter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I searched the forums and found some helpful posts, but thought I might ask this question directly. Thanks in advance for all replies and input.

I am finishing a rotation in which our office is open only a few days of the week and often has half days. Additionally, 2-3 other 3rd or 4th years are on the rotation at any given time. So a typical day may involve seeing only 2 patients. Some of the people I talked to have said they envied this rotation as it is quite easy and allows more than enough studying time and time off. However I am a bit disappointed as I feel I didn't get my money's worth in seeing enough patients. The preceptor is great on this particular rotation, but took on too many students, and our education is impeded as a result (IMHO). Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, what insight can you share?

I also have another rotation coming up which I have heard horror stories about from several upper years. Essentially, you spend most your time doing paper work for your attending, who supposedly takes students for this reason only, and who could care less to teach. I have heard it's an incredibly frustrating rotation in which you don't learn much if anything. I normally don't feed into the negativity but I've heard this from several people, most of which are known for being positive people.

So I guess my concern is that after this year I will not be as well prepared as my peers. I realize some rotations are good, some are bad, and many are mediocre. I had a great rotation prior to this where I learned a lot, and I do not expect every rotation to follow suit, but I find myself a little frustrated. I don't like that some attendings will take on so many students so that we cannot all see a reasonable number of patients. I guess I am looking for reassurance or affirmation of my frustration. Is this a common experience or am I alone in this? What can be done to make the most of it (besides reading as much as possible)? About how many rotations are like this for an average student? Thanks for those who took the time to read and respond to this post.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has had good and bad rotations. It's part of the magical crapiness of medical school. Even if it's in an area that you really want to pursue, the only thing you can do is set up a great sub-I for fourth year and cross your fingers. As far as the "only 2 patients" rotation, people have had that rotation before you and people will have it after you. And do you think all those students will go on to be impaired in life as a result? No. So why will you? Enjoy the easy schedule and think back on it when us surgeons get you and rough you up, lol. As far as the other guy, why don't you guys report him to the school and get him eliminated?

Does your school know? I'd say that sounds unacceptable to me

First guy - as long as it's pleasant for students, I would just suck it up.

Second guy (if it's really as bad as others have made it out to be) talk to your rotation coordinator. Won't help you, but it may stop them from sending future students to this preceptor.